1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was it like coming out to your class? I want to do it very soon.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, May 27, 2010.

1. I'll do it today, next week, or the week after that. I'm done with lying. I don't know if I'm even coming back to my school next year. Even if I do, I cannot hide this secret any longer. I don't care what they think. I know that one of them thinks that gay people deserve to be dead. I know that one of them would stop hanging out with me. Whatever, I was never popular to begin with. I want to do this as soon as possible, and I don't care what happens to me when I do it.

Anyone else care to share what it was like? It would be helpful to know.

2. Connor22

for me I came out to one gossipy person and by the end of the week rumours were thick, then when people asked I said yes, try t, it's a lot less exhausting than going to each person individually and easier and less attention seeking than standing up in the middle of class and going "I'M GAY" and yes you will get people who stop hanging round with you when you come out, it's their problem and don't worry yourself about it, good luck mate odds are you'll need it

3. Sesshomaru

I came out little by little to the friends I felt closer to first. Then I started with not watching how I answer things such as if I were talking with the group of girls I hang with about guys, I wouldn't stop talking the minute someone walked by who had no clue I like guys.
    There came the big step when I finally told a guy in one of my classes that everyone knows has a big mouth. Before the end of school the next day every person in that class knew along with about half the school since during the following few days I had at least 20 people ask me if the rumor going around school about me true.
    It gets a lot easier once a few people find out and even more so if they have a habit of telling secrets like Connor mentioned. Sure there are going to be homophobic or just completely mean people who say rude things to you such as gay people should all die so just ignore them. They'll get bored and stop eventually.
    People are also sometimes more accepting of gay guys who don't act stereotypically gay. However if that does describe you then don't try changing yourself just for others. They can learn to accept you or just go on with their lives. Some fit stereotypes while others don't. At my school there's a few stereotypical gay guys that everyone loves. I haven't had any problems really with anyone not accepting me since I'm the first straight acting/looking guy to come out.
    Whatever you end up doing just be yourself and everything else will follow :slight_smile:

4. Rygirl

Some people in my school found out through my facebook profile, it was just the girls, and we are all really tight since there are only a few of us and we have a separate common room to hang out in, anyways when I got outed I panicked big time, I isolated myself and hid from everyone. The girls all took me into the common room and basically told me that they still loved me no matter who I fancied, and that I shouldn't be afraid.

My experience was quite positive, I hope yours can be too.

5. mydogstewie

Horrible. Don't do it.

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I facebooked my coming out, no one said anything to me in school. No one cared.

7. Zach1992

Well most of my friends already knew via Facebook, but I have said it in a class out loud. A kid goes "Zach's a ladies man." me & my friends chuckled & I said "No." He responded with "What?" & I said it to a room of kids and my teacher. Then he said "Well, he a man's man."

8. hairdye

i love that.

9. dude99

dude99 Guest

You have guts to ever contemplate that. If I ever did that when I was at school I would certainly be beaten up by fellow students and harrased by some teachers. Boy have times have changed.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Coming out in middle school is tough. I remember we had one gay kid at mine and everyone was incredibly mean to him. Granted, he was really flaming and that made it harder for him, but he was the reason that I got so afraid about coming out xD

If you do go with it, I feel jelous of you. I wish I had your courage back in middle school.

I like the idea of telling someone with a big mouth. Try telling some of your close friends first though. That way you can give them some more time to think about it and have a small support group in school