1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letter to my Uncle...concrit?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, May 27, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

This isnt a coming out kind of letter, its more or less a response to something that happened at easter. Basically, I posted as a joke "Happy Zombie Jesus Day!" and a lot of my friends commented like ha ha very funny then my Uncle asked what it meant, I told him and he basically flipped out. We had a literal Facebook "war" and he said that I was spewing "hate speech" for saying that. -_- So i had enough and blocked him from seeing EVERYTHING on FB, i think all he can now see is my picture and date of birth.

I see my family a lot and I dont want it to be awkward when I next see him, so I wrote him a letter asking for a truce so that it wont be awkward when I next see him/the family. I'd like to make sure it's not insulting to his traditional way of looking at things, as I dont want [another] argument.

Dear ____,

This is not an apology letter, I do not intend to apologize for anything I said to you over Easter via Facebook.

However, I would like to call a truce. It has come to my attention that you and I have extremely different views and lifestyles. That being said, I honestly doubt that we will be able to agree on much in terms of how we live our lives, how we conduct ourselves and our spiritual beliefs.

I'd like there to be no hostility between us, that is my goal with this letter. I don't think you and I could ever sit down and have a talk about the world in which we live, for our tastes and views are so vastly different. But between our arguments is always the same person trying to mend it: Auntie Lynn, or just Lynn to you.

I feel that our "Facebook arguments" hurt her more than anyone else, which is part of why I have blocked you from virtually seeing anything I put on Facebook. I feel that if you cannot see what I have to say, it will keep us from having any further arguments via Facebook.

I will not change the way I think or feel to avoid confrontation with you or anyone else. Additionally I will not be silent if you say something to me that I find offensive. You are allowed to have your opinions, and so am I. To you, what I may feel, think, say or do may be "childish" or "immature" but you're wrong. Because you do not understand it does not make it okay for you to insult me over it.

I hope in the future we can find a common ground that will not cause arguments like the few we have had over the past several months. Maybe in time I will feel it to be okay to unblock you from seeing my profile/wall/everything else, but at this time I feel like it would only be asking for another argument about me breathing in an insulting way or something.

Have a nice day,
    Jamie.

_________

Thoughts?

2. Sesshomaru

I think it's a pretty good letter overall and could help with the problems you two are having.
    ^ That could be taken the wrong way and possibly make him flare up again depending on what type of person he is. I really don't think it would but with some people it's just hard to tell.
    I hope everything goes well for you (*hug*)

#2 Sesshomaru, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope it works out. I remember that posting about that on here...