1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the word faggot

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confused102188, May 27, 2010.

1. confused102188

What does this word mean? I am gay all the way... I have zero atraction to girls, but... I drive a big ass truck, I only listen to country music, (excuse the bad language here) If you mess with me I will kick your ass, I could take your engine out of your car tear it down put it back together and put it back in your car, if it brakes i can fix it. My boss at work uses the word faggot all the time and he is way more of a faggot than I am and he's straight. its so dumb. So I like guys! EXCUSE ME!!!!!

2. Emberstone

harley davidson motorcycle rider...

the serious answer, it is a bundle of sticks used for firewood.

it also is a ciggerette in britian, and tom cruise, wherever he is at the moment.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on who's using the word. One person might use it to mean an effeminate guy, the way you interpret it. Another person might use it to refer to any gay guy, and someone else could use it as a general insult. And then there's the "bunch of sticks" meaning.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope it's a harley davidson motorcycle rider.

And if you aren't one but like them and might eventually get one, you're bike-curious :slight_smile:

5. confused102188

haha south park

6. s5m1

None of those things have anything to do with whether you are straight or gay. They are part of who you are, just as being gay is only part of who you are. You are still you. Don’t let some uneducated, homophobic person’s use of a word impact how you feel about yourself. You are gay and there is nothing wrong with that.

As for the word, it is a slur, plain and simple. It is nothing more than a derogatory word for a gay person. It reflects badly on the person who uses it, not the person to whom it is directed. It is no different than using the N-word to refer to African Americans or the word Kike to a Jewish person.

7. RedState

Haha, you sound like me.
    Although depending on how drunk I am I may pop in some techno, lol.
    I'm in the closet (only one or two people know), and it is hell...but we gotta do what we gotta do. It gets lonely at times because there is nothing better than waking up next to someone.
    I work in a completely homophobic office and people use that term all the F-ing time...drives me nuts.

8. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me personally, "fagot" just means "homosexual", be it in a manner that is meant to be derogatory. That may be how your boss is using it, no femmieness implied. "fag" has more "stereotypical gay guy" connotations for me.

What's more intriguing is why you are seeking to figure out how a slur applies to how you are personally. I mean, if, for you, fagot means "stereotypical gay guy", and your boss using it offends you because you are by no means stereotypical, but you are indeed gay...

Then, yeah, I think you are supposed to be offended, and rightfully so. The thing is that those kinds of slurs are used as a filler, such as "like" or "clyde beadie" (one my father uses), so the person using them is not usually trying to be offensive consciously. Unconsciously, who knows; maybe there is a mountain of homophobia under there.

But I have friends who use it explicitly in jest, because if you know them you know that isn't their actual feeling on the matter. You're not out yet, so handling this might get a little touchy. I'd advise talking to your boss if it bothers you enough.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I find the word "queer" more jarring that "faggot" but I think it's generational.

According to the Random House dictionary, "queer" means

All of which are pretty negative. Faggot, on the other hand, is defined as

Personally, I'd rather be "disparaged as a homosexual" than be "strange, odd, mentally unstable or deranged", but maybe that's just me. My friends and I call each other fags or faggots all the time.

10. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

A 'fag' is a cigarette. :]
    A 'faggot' is an American expression meaning a gay male or a feminine male (or both).
    Oooh, and it's fun calling straight homophobes faggots. ;]

People call me 'dyke' all the time. I'm no more butch than I am femme. Fml, motorbikes are awesome. ;]

11. someguy82

I generally hear (and sadly use myself) faggot to describe an annoying asshole, and don't really associate it as having anything to do with being gay. Although maybe I just have a different perspective because most of my friends are straight guys in their mid twenties.

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just wanna say, I like your attitude. Reminds me of me, except I can't taken an engine apart.

Its been said I'm sure but
    faggot is a bundle of sticks and/or a cigarette in england. Which I've had english guys say I'll ve right back just going to go have a fag.