1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"you're too young to know what you like"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by x2x2x2x2y2, May 28, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

Don't you just hate that line??

Apparently, my sisters husband thinks that I'm too young to know if I'm gay. Ugh. Then I told my other sisters boyfriend and he said "well you are kind of young." I feel like I just wanna slap some sense into these people. How ignorant can you get?? Why would I be telling people if I wasn't completely sure??

And the best part is that my nephew(who just turned 8) talks about girls ALL THE TIME. His parents never say that he's too young. So why the hell would I be too young?! If I were talking about girls nobody would say that I was too young. I know that eventually they'll accept it more, but I'm just frustrated right now.

2. RaRa

Tell them what you've told us. :slight_smile:

3. Connor22

Tis an annoying, my favourite reply is "did you know you liked girls at my age?" it usually leaves them in a state of confusion along the lines of "did he just answer back to ME? oh my ego hurts I think I need to go have a lie down"

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Ask them what the cut off point is then. If they try to be stupid and say "When you're an adult" or something say that you're two years away and that's close enough. If they stumble and don't give an answer then you can say "Well then, you must not be old enough to know what you like either."

5. mattypants

uhg, i hate age=wisdom/maturity/blahblah crap like that. age has nothing to do with it, its just a number based on the amount of revolutions the earths made around the sun since your birth. having more than me doesnt mean much except youve been around for more.

i also dislike when someone older hears you say "no, i dont want any of that food, i dont like it" and they whip out the "when youre older, youll like it". w.t.f?! how can you possibly know that? i know tastes can change, but that doesnt mean they will. i dont expect to start liking girls when i get "older"

i would think older people would know better, but that feels like im doing what they do in reverse xD /rant

#5 mattypants, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  6. AlyssWonderland

My parents tried to tell me this [and though they still don't believe that this is not 'just a phase'...] I was like "Well how did you know you didn't like girls, mom?" My mom: "uhm... uh... er... well... It's never crossed my mind. I've always found it disgusting to think about. I could never even imagine it..." Me: "And I've never imagined being straight."
    Grawr. That was in October. And I was kinda forced into telling them. Sigh. I guess I'll have to go through it AGAIN, maybe then they won't try to tell me this bs.

7. Eleanor Rigby

Ask them if they were attracted to men too when they were your age :wink:

8. Zach

I had just the opposite problem, my dad would introduce me to his friends that came to our house as his "son the queer" when I was around 13. I just wasn't interested in girls back then. Come to think of it, I didn't get interested in boys until I was 18, go figure. :lol:

9. Connor22

^jeepers that's a bit harsh from your dad

10. kittycat16

kittycat16 Guest

A few days after I came out to my mom she told me I was to young to know who I like it made me really mad

11. Zach

Well at the time it was very devistating to me. :eek: (no wonder I had emotional problems as a teen :eek:slight_smile: But I eventually came to the conclusion my dad was an idiot, and he was just ... how can I put this... :dry: "An asshole". He's no longer a part of my life, and I can live with that. I am much happier now as an adult without him in my life. (&&&)
    I also have to say I'm sorry to the originator of this thread, I really didn't mean to hi-jack your thread...sorry. :thumbsup:

12. Ashleigh Ann

My favorite answer is "When did you know you were straight?" :slight_smile: