1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally Confused

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jwent09, May 29, 2010.

1. jwent09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm totally confused and don't know what to do.

I have been attracted to guys for as long as I can remember. I can never really remember being attracted to girls. I grew up in a really small town where being gay was not acceptable so I played straight, went out with a few girls, nothing ever really that serious. I was never able to accept that I was gay because of the environment I had grown up in.

Then I went to a large public college. I now realize that I am gay but for some reason I still want to date this girl that has sort of been talking to me just as a cover. Also, since I went to college and became really involved I met a new best friend. He is gay. Being around him and listening to how he came out to his family recently and how it was like a huge weight lifted off his shoulders sort of made me envious of his new found freedom of self. When I bring him up around my parents I included that he was gay just to see how they react. They reacted the way I thought they would. They said oh, why are you friends with a gay person? and I explained that I was friends with someone I had a lot in common with who happened to be gay also. They just don't know just how much we have in common. I am not attracted to this friend in a physical way at all. Yeah he is cute but he is my best friend.

My main problems are:
    1) I want to date this girl I am talking with, not because I am attracted to her in a sexual way at all. Its more like I like to hang out with her and keep up the straight mask.
    2) I want to come out to my best friend but I am not sure how to tell him and I don't want to hurt our friendship.
    3) I want to come out to my parents but I can't risk them cutting me off financially. I dont think my mother would but my father who isn't extremely homophobic but I can tell he doesnt approve of gays.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. TroubledRyan

1- You really shouldn't use this girl if you do like her as a 'friend'...this will only hurt your friendship inless you do actually like her in a way to where you could date her...but using her to keep up your disguise would just be wrong and very mean and unsensitive.

2- If he is your best friend, and is gay as well he won't have a problem with it,which I'm sure you have already figured out...so I'm gessing that you are worried that he might end up liking you if he knows that you are gay?So you just want to stay friends, right?...well thats simple...just because there are 2 gay guys doesn't mean they are automatically dating, gay guys can but 'just' friends, and he may feel that way towards you anyways. But to be safe as you tell him make it clear,in a very nice way, that you love being his friend, and make it clear that that's how you would like to keep it.

3-If your parent truely love you...they will not do that. You see, even if parent are homophobic, there love for there child tends to overcome that. If you really want to tell your mom, you can and just ask her to keep it a little secret intil you are ready to tell him (unfortunatly that can't last long...because they can't keep the secret forever).

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree... it's one thing to date women when you are confused or don't really have a clue. It's another to do it when you know for certain you're misleading them. If you want to stay in the closet, that's a valid choice, but you need to avoid hurting other people if you're gonna do it.

I don't really get what the issue is--wouldn't he be the perfect person to tell?

I would be a bit more cautious than this. Sometimes parents can be really disappointing in this respect. Not always, maybe not even often, but sometimes. It's probably best to test the waters more than you have already before you settle on telling them. Either that or be prepared to support yourself financially just in case. It sucks but it's better to be prepared for the worst and then not have to actually deal with it than vice versa.

4. x2x2x2x2y2

5. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

yep id agree with all this. i also think its unfair what ur doing to this girl but i understand why you are doing it. and the last bit about telling your folks is one you should be careful of. last thing you need is to be cut off completly. i would make sure that you have something to fall back on if you tell them.

6. jwent09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your responses! I've pretty much decided that I am not going to pursue the relationship with the girl. I am just going to let it die down. I also think that I am going to talk to my friend and come out soon. I don't know if I should do it over the summer or wait until we get back to school in august. I'll probably only see him 2 or 3 times over the summer. I just don't know how to bring it up...

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be really hard to bring up the first time but since he's gay, you have a huge advantage--you can be pretty sure he's not going to freak out about it. In fact, he'll probably think it's quite cool. I would just say something like, "Hey we have something (else) in common... we're both into guys" or something equally casual. Or make some joke about how you're copying him because you're so unoriginal. *grin*

8. TroubledRyan

I didn't say he shouldn't be cautious about his parent,because your right,some's hatered for gays over power there love for there own child, but 'some', not many... If you know your parents truely love you,you are in a pretty good spot. on the other hand if you guys have an iffy relationship...I probly wouldn't tell them. (sorry for not mentioning that erlayer).

As for the guy...he would be the best person to tell, nd I said he would be. But if he starts to like jwent (which he said he didn't want), that can start to mess up there friendship,which is why i said to make it clear that you only like him as a friend, and thats all he might like you as, as well.

9. jwent09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I actually have a great relationship with my parents and always have. We never really argued at all. I guess I am worried about damaging that relationship.

10. TroubledRyan

they might get hurt and need time to cope...but only you can make the desicion to tell them. We can tell you alot of stuff that 'can' happen,but you have to take the final act on wether you tell them or not. Good luck my friend :slight_smile:

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, hi, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile: And congrats on coming to terms with being gay and starting your coming-out!

You know, if you like hanging out this girl, you can just keep seeing her as a friend. You're not limited to the two extremes of "dating vs. not knowing her at all". Just make sure she's not having the wrong impression about your intentions.

Coming out to a gay friend is something that would seem to be easier than coming out to straight friends. However, I always found it slightly harder to do. Especially if they've been out for a while, telling you were gay all along too becomes slightly awkward. And yet, whenever I told any of my gay friends, they were totally supportive, and completely understood. It strengthened our friendship, rather than hurt it.
    So, I wouldn't worry too much about how to tell it. Any time when you're alone, and unlikely to be undisturbed would be good for seizing the conversation. Just suddenly changing topic to coming-out is counter-intuitive, but conversation tends to flow easily enough afterwards.
    Joeyconninck's idea of using a joke sounds like a good idea, but if you don't feel like doing that, just saying "you know, we have been good friends for a while now, and I do want to tell you something about myself that I haven't told anyone before: I'm gay too!" could work as well. When I came out to one of my gay friends, I never even got that far. After I told him I had to tell him something, he replied "I think I already have a pretty good idea of what you're going to tell me" :lol:

As for when to tell him: if you're going to keep in touch and seeing each other for more than just a few hours, over the summer could be a good idea. Basically, any time you could have a few hours to talk would be good. By the time school starts again, it will feel like you've both known it for ages. On the other hand, if you're barely going to talk, and are just going to quickly run into each other, it might be best to wait until after the summer.

As for your parents: I think that if they aren't extremely homophobic, the risks of them cutting you off are pretty small. They might not be entirely happy at first, but if they'll see you're still the same jwent09 they knew all along, they'll come to terms with it eventually. If you don't dare to risk it (and I wouldn't blame you for that, I only came out to my own mom after I secured my own finances), it might be best to hold off a bit more and come out to more friends first. If you have any siblings that might be accepting, it can be a big help to come out to those, because they're good to have your back when dealing with parents.

12. jwent09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the replies, it's really helpful.

I've decided that I am going to tell my friend and I want to do it like right now! But he is 3 hours a way and I don't really want to do it over the phone. I am going to see him Friday but we will be with two of our other friends and I don't know if I will be able to get him alone and be able to tell him. I am about to go CRAZY

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First of all, take a deep breath, and just tell yourself 'things are going to be fine.'

It's great that you have decided to take that step! Is there a possibility that you could see your friend before you meet up with the other two friends? Could you maybe meet him somewhere, like at a coffee shop or somewhere where you would feel comfortable coming out to him?

14. jwent09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's possible but he is bringing the guy he is "talking" to with him and I am comfortable around the guy but I just don't know if I want him there when I tell him.

15. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would you feel about calling or e-mailing your friend and asking him if he could arrange it so that you two could have a bit of time together to catch up?

...and, welcome to Empty Closets! :slight_smile:

16. jwent09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I usually talk to him every day or so on FB or text so I might be like Hey can we talk privately on Friday??

Thanks-- it's been a lot of help!

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, if you wanted to, you could give it a try but maybe also prepare yourself in case he asks 'if there is anything particular going on or want to talk about?' Maybe just keep it really generally, and just mention you want to catch up with him.

Glad that you are finding EC to be really helpful!

18. jwent09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I just told one of my best friends from college. We were skyping and she could tell something was bothering me so I finally blurt it out and it feels amazing.

19. XxTheNumbOnexX

Well, I mean, if you want to hang out with her, then hang out with her. Whats stopping you? And about your best friend, as long as he doesn't have a crush on you or anything, then it should be ok to tell him. He will most likely understand what its like when your holding all of this in. The only way it could really ruin the friendship is if he likes you as more than a friend. And as for your parents, let it gradually slip into their minds. Don't say anything, or even do anything. Just keep being you. If they notice, then they notice. If they don't, then they don't. My grandparents found out by accident, and they weren't exactly ok with it, but they didn't understand. My grandmother gave me all these "safety precautions" about being gay. :|