1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know it's a small step, but it's progress! (out on Facebook)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, May 30, 2010.

1. Wow. After some time to contemplate, I've officially decided that I no longer give a fuck about people knowing. There are rumors about me all the way to other counties, so I'm done with hiding from others and compromising who I am. It's been a fun ride, but it's going to come to a grinding halt soon. I've been in the closet for 16 months, and that's way too much. I should have been out by this time last year, but I was too much of a coward. Things are different now, and I'm going to take whatever steps necessary to be counted as an LGBT citizen of America. If I can make a change, I will. I don't give a fuck if others won't like me for it. I probably wouldn't have liked them anyway. So yeah, this is the first official outing for me. I hope that I won't have to do too much explaining. If someone else asks, I'll just tell them the truth from now on. I'm still reluctant to use labels, but I'll just call myself "queer" or "non-heterosexual" when someone asks. Although I have no doubt in my mind that I am 100% homosexual, I still think that labels aren't quite accurate. This has been a long, hard road, but I'm done fucking around. I realize that I'm only fourteen years old, but I'm certainly more mature than others who are the same age. I'm going to do what an older, more courageous person would do and stop lying. It's going to take a lot of the weight off my shoulders. After this, I'm going to try to help others who struggle to accept themselves. If I can make any kind of difference, I'll be happy. I want to make a contribution to society, and helping another person in need is the best way of doing that. I thank you all for helping me through this journey (and occasionally talking myself out of self-mutilation). I am forever indebted to you all, and I will work to repay that debt if it is possible. I love you all.

(&&&)

2. Connor22

jeepers you are one awesome SOB good luck and remember if someone is giving you shit don't take it and hey, why not join a LGBT youth group?

3. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for coming out on facebook (*hug*). I hope everything is going to go fine. Keep us updated with this.
    Take care (*hug*)

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    every step is important, no matter how small you think it may seem, I think you've madea big one. Facebook is public to the world and everyone you've befriended on it as well.

Be proud of the step you've taken!

(&&&)

5. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a little jealous that you're accepting it so early and getting it out of the way now, you wont regret it!

6. What is/was your coming out process like? I feel horrible for people who are forced to wait until later in life to realize it and come out. I could never end up like that. I am very thankful that I found out at such a young age. I was (luckily) never hateful towards myself or other gays. I was lucky enough to be brought up in a neutral household that didn't punish my beliefs. I'm still in the closet to my parents, but I'll tell them the next time they ask. I cannot tell my mother right now (because she's in jail until Thursday). I'm sure that they will be accepting, even if it takes a while to come to terms with it. I still feel guilty about my relative lack of difficulty with coming out to myself. If I could, I would switch places with another person who has a homophobic family. That would help me see how truly horrible it is to grow up in a household that does not accept you. I feel like I've had it too easy. I seem like such a masochist, but I still feel like kind of a "noob". I wish things were a little bit more challenging, as stupid as that sounds.

7. concklin

while it is good that you are coming out and not caring what others say, don't ever feel rushed to do so.

i wish you luck for the future. you're younger than i was when i came out (even to myself)

8. AlyssWonderland

Congrats! I hope everything goes well for how people react on Facebook and the rest of your coming out process. :slight_smile:

9. chained butterfly

I did the same thing but I posted a face book message to my mother. Things went okay and I hope it went okay for you too.

Ya know what they say, "People who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind"

You always have the supporting people on EC.