1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mitchell, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Mitchell

I've cut myself for over 5 years.... I was doing much better the last 6 months, but now I feel extremely paranoid and like cutting.

I'm not sure how to handle these feelings...

Anyone have anything to say?

2. Connor22

try and do something that distracts you, and is positive, like every time you feel like cutting, take your ipod and go outside, run, walk whatever. good luck and try cut back eh? (no pun intended)

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*) Glad you posted and asked for help. As Conner22 mentioned, when you get the urge to cut, distract yourself, get your mind to concentrate on something else. Please seek some help. Talk to a counselor or a teacher that you trust at school.

If there is something that is bothering you, even if it seems to be something insignificant, talk about it. Don't leave things inside of you, even if they seem insignificant. The smallest thing could be the trigger for the urge again. Talk to a friend or anyone that you trust about the feelings/worries that you have or anything that is bothering you at the moment.

Why do you feel paranoid?

(*hug*)

4. TroubledRyan

Ya, think constructive thoughts, not destructive thoughts :slight_smile:.

Is there a particular reason about why you feel the way you do? Maybe we would be able to help you more :slight_smile:

5. Eleanor Rigby

Hi sweetheart (*hug*)

first thing I am sorry you have self-harming urges again. I know it's not something easy to handle. First thing, congratulations for trying to resist the urges and for seeking for help, this is the right attitude to have.
    For one thing, I think it could be great if you were seing a therapist to talk about the issues you have. If possible someone who has experience working with LGBT people.
    For another thing, you have a lot of support at school : use it. Talk about your cutting urges to your school counselor, to your teachers, to your youth worker. These people are here to help you : let them help.

Now to fight the urges, there are some things you can do.
    First, don't keep whatever you use to hurt yourself in your bedroom. If you had to go find it somewhere else in the house, you may have the time to refrain the urges, wich wouldn't be the case if you keep it on hand.
    When you feel the urges coming, try not to stay alone. Try to find someone to talk to, and let them know how you feel. Your mother seems to be very supportive and she knows about your current situation. Just go and talk to her whenever you feel the urges to hurt yourself. You can also try to call a helpline if you don't want to talk to her, or if she is not available at that moment. In any case, try to not stay alone with these feelings and try to verbalise them.
    If you can't do that, try to developp some tricks to avoid cutting.
    Sport can help. Go and have a run for 20 min, get yourself a punching ball, or/and a jump rope. Exercizing can help you release your anger and if you do it long enought, your body will product endorphins that could help your mood to lift.
    Something else you can do to release anger or other negative feelings is to have an artistic activity. Playing music, drawing, painting, writting what's in your mind at the moment can help you not to act upon these feelings.
    But it can be other things. You have to find what's working for you. I have already said that several times in other threads, but for exemple, I was tearing up paper in the smallest possible pieces, I was drawing then coloring all the little squares of a piece of paper, I was wearing gloves to prevent myself from scratching until I bleed when I was going to bed, or I was repeating myself the same sentence over and over again to calm me down. No matter how stupid these things looks, they helped.
    These were some of the things that worked for me, I'm sure you'll be able to find some that'll work for you.

Take care of yourself and feel free to PM me anytime if you need to talk or if you just want a (*hug*) Cécile

#5 Eleanor Rigby, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  6. chained butterfly

I write poems to help myself not cut. I mean sure their depressing and about death but it's what helps me. Try writing a poem or song that expresses what your feeling. Paint a picture, and it could just be a whole lot of colors stacked together.

What I did is, I made a promise to god I would stop in return he would save my life. ~I had tried to kill myself (I know, only 13 and suicidal) But I was saved and have never cut again. If I had died I would've never able to tell my mom I'm lesbian. Or developt my first girl crush. Anyway, this isn't about me it's about you.

You wont be alone remember, although Im quite young I have an idea of wanting to stop cutting but can't. Your not alone, and there are so many that support you <3

You are a strong cookie, most likely even stronger than me. I hope i helped. You can message me whenever you'd like. Age doesn't matter when your listening to someone.

7. Mitchell

Thank you all for the kind words..

My mother says if I cut I'll be admitted again... that's whats keeping me from doing it.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Think about the things you did for the last six months that helped you to feel better. As it was mentioned above, try to talk to someone, keep yourself distracted. Try to find ways to deal with the underlying causes. Once you start dealing with them, the urges to cut will perhaps lessen and you might be able to get to the point where you were for the last six months. Mitchell, if you have gotten better before, you can do it again. (*hug*)

9. I've struggled with the same thing for a couple years. I was actually thinking about it a lot last night. The thing that keeps me from cutting is the knowledge that others (my dad, maybe even my mom) couldn't function without me. Even if I feel dead on the inside, I have to keep it together for my parents. Also, I have a trick to help relieve anger and frustration. Get a washcloth, fold it, bite down on it as hard as you can, blast some angry music (I use Alice in Chains and Nine Inch Nails for it), and scream at the top of your lungs. Scream until you feel sick. It almost always helps me get over it. Even though I use it as a method to cope, I know that cutting is a deadly addiction that will kill you when you least want it to. Even if you cut without wanting to die, you're still risking death. Keep that in mind.