1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first date???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Jun 2, 2010.

1. So I met this guy on a gay youth dating site. We have been texting eachother and talking on facebook for 3 days now and I really like this guy. So this Saturday we r going on our first date, we r going to go to dinner and then to a friends bonfire afterwards. So I guess my first question is do u think I should go through with meeting him? I should also mention that we have talked on the phone too. Also another thing is he is 26... so there is like an 8 year age difference. Neither of us mind it but I worried about my parents... who also dont know about him. I realky like him so far and we really click, im just afraid to many other things are going to come in the way...

2. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I Really think that you should find some one more along your age line He's 26 your 17 I was a relationship about the same age range you are no and it turned out not so good if you do continue then please be careful every way you can if he says no to condoms you say no sorry if i sound like a mother hen but i don't want to se any one go through what i did

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Personally, I think you should get to know him better through text/facebooking more. 3 days isn't much time to get to know someone.

About the age thing, well a lot of people will probably be negative about it. But it could work between you guys. It's possible.

4. Just Adam

8 years is a big difference but also a small difference ...and a pointless fact really.... ive seen couples with like 30 years age difference on these tv shows that seem to make it ...i think as a rule within 10 years is a key otherwise there's like a decade gap, and it can be hard to relate to them on things ...but age is a small factor on things...love is what counts.

just take it slow and get to know each other find out what each of you wants from this relationship and as said above be safe its never worth the risk as for risk its worth letting friends know where you will be as safety is always paramount.... and apart from that your first date sounds nice... kinda romantic haha.

just keep a level head on your shoulders and enjoy yourself. :slight_smile:

5. RaRa

The age difference seems irrelevant to me.

My advice is to go to dinner with him at a public place, and that's it. I wouldn't go to the bonfire. Hell yes it sounds like fun but it's too soon, at least imo. With his friends, really? You don't even know HIM yet. >_>

Oh and let at least one friend know where you're going, just in case.

6. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

the issue isnt the age gap here, its that ur only 17. in many ways i think thats still young to meet up woth someone in his later 20's. however, if you really like him go for it. just be really careful. and dont feel pressured into anything either.

7. Actually the bonfire is with my friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Also the age gap really doesnt bother me at all, like im incredibly mature acting anyway so i feel kinda actualy normal talking to someeone older.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to talk about age gaps in absolute terms. When you're 100, an 8 years age gap means nothing. When you're still young, however, it's half a lifetime.
    And it's this half a lifetime that can really be a deal-breaker. You're just about to start college, while he's already working (or finishing college at the very least). that often leads to radically different interests and ways of spending your time, even if you're both equally mature. And usually, that leads to people just drifting apart as fast as they drifted together, because apart from initial attraction, there's not a whole lot there.

Also, I find it slightly odd that a 26-year old guy would spend his time on a youth dating site, maybe specifically searching out people much younger than he is. Maybe it doesn't ping on the alarm like a 40-year old hitting on a 14-year old, but most people do tend to date in their own age group.

And then there's the fact that you only have been talking for three days. Three days is really, really short. This day last week you didn't even know of his existence. Not being bored with each other after three days is obviously a good thing, but it's really too soon to know whether there's anything more than just an initial click.

I'd say it might be best if you just waited at least a week, or maybe two. If you really click, you're not going to lose it over so short a time.
    If you do go on a date, keep to public places, and make sure you have people who know where you are (which is mostly good on any first date anyway).

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I agree with Filip. 8 years is HUGE when you are 17 and the other person is 26. It is also very strange that a 26 year-old dude specifically looks to be with younger guys.

I'm 19 and my bf is 16. Three years and the fact that I will be going to college next year almost made me stop the relationship from happening. I can't even imagine an 8 year difference where one guy is still in high school and the other guy is graduation college.

Definitely think about it and be careful.

10. hairdye

i can tell you not to do it. but i know that won't stop you. i was the same way. but remember.

don't just give your heart away to anybody. it's something more valuable than anything you own. it's yours and it's special.

11. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd be suspicious of a guy in his late twenties scoping out teenagers. But if it's what you want, why should my suspicions matter?