1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to ONE parent at a time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pianoguy, Sep 8, 2007.

1. pianoguy

in certain situations, my mom tends to react first, and think later
    my dad, is not so much like that
    i was thinking about telling my dad before my mom, so that i could have someone in my family who actually knows, and who could give me advice on telling my mom
    but then, im not sure if telling my dad before my mom would create problems between me and my mom.. she is very sensetive sometimes
    ..?
    any ideas?

2. 24601

Telling one parent before another can be very difficult for all parties involved. I tried something similar, only with my mom first and not my dad. When I came out to my mom, I asked her not to tell my father. She did. I think it can be hard for parents to keep secrets from each other, especially about their children.

Then, in your situation, you said your mom is very sensitive. She could very well feel this is insulting, or hurtful, if you tried to keep it from her, if only initially. She might see it as you not trusting her, or not loving her as much as your father. You probably don't mean it this way, but she might see it this way.

My guess is that you coming out to your father before the other has a lot of potential to cause problems. I think you should weigh the risk against the concerns and possible benefits before deciding on what course of action to take. It's rough, but hang in there.

Good luck.

3. pianoguy

yeah
    i definitely don't mean for my mom to think I love my dad more than her, its just that he won't be so emotional at first, and i have a good feeling that he will be very accepting (strange huh? usually its the other way around)
    I think there would be considerable risks involved.. if my dad doesnt tell my mom, then my mom might get angry with HIM when I did eventually tell her
    she would be the last to know, and thats never a good thing
    but I can't face the idea of having to sit them down, and tell them at the same time
    I was going to send an e-mail to my dad when he is on one of his business trips
    thats pretty much a cowards way out though I guess
    *sigh*

4. Sam

Sam

how about a letter addressed to both of them that way they find out at the same time without you having to actually sit down and tell them. It would be better if you gave them the letter and sat down and waited for them to finish the letter but its not absolutely neccasary you could just give it to them and then go to you room or something. just a thought.

5. Bryan

I came out to my parents seprately. Actually my mom sort of outed me to my dad. I told my mom, and she was in shock. Then she asked me who was going to tell my dad, and I said WE will do it, and I asked her if WE wanted to do it today or tommorow and she said tommorow. So I work up the next day, and she had told him. That isnt exactaly how I wanted it to happen, but I guess it did save me one awk moment. Actually, I should have told my dad first, to my suprise, he is the more supportive one. The reason why I came out to them one at a time, was because I couldnt stomach doing it at the same time. If you dont feel that you cant tell them both, tell one and then the other. But, explain to the other one that yo couldnt handle telling two people at a time, or the 2nd parent doesnt even need to know that they are the second parent. Anyway, good luck with this all.
    -Bryan
    PS- DO NOT come out online, bad idea, I know from personal experience, just tell them in person, it may be hard, but it is the best and most affective way

6. JECO

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually had a similar situation happen to me. My step-father was extremely understanding and supportive, saying he still viewed me as being the same person when he found out. My mom on the other hand was an emotional roller coaster, and still is (only been a few days since she found out.) I'm actually glad for it, because when I'm not around my mom gets to talk to my step-father about it, and he helps comfort her and I think eventually will be great at getting her into some type of understanding an acceptance.

On the other hand it did happen differently, I told my mom first and she went and told my step-father after she couldn't stop crying and felt like she couldn't hide what was wrong from him.

It might be tough to sit them both down, but maybe you can tell them separately but at two consecutive times? Meaning, tell your dad first, make sure he DOES react the way you think he will (maybe go out to lunch with him or something along those lines to make sure noone walks in while you're talking about it - made that mistake here as well.) Afterwards, you can sit down and tell them both together as though your dad doesn't already know. If he's understanding it might be a good thing if he is there to comfort your mom if you think she's going to be emotional about things. Good luck, and keep us all updated on what happens.

7. pianoguy

hmm
    well thank you all for the advice
    i really haven't decided what exactly I'm going to do right now
    its going to be soon too
    which is funny because about half a year ago the thought of telling my parents was so distant .. and now i have this feeling that I need to

stupid coming out
    i wish they would just ask me or something
    that would be so much easier dang
    haha

8. emerald

Well I came out to my first and then my dad, and it worked at well as I could have expected I guess. Both of my parents are the react and then think types, but my dad reacts worse. And I guess coming out to them both would be too difficult, though there was only a month or two in between the times I told them.
    I recommend writing a letter. Especially to your mom, with a letter they have to read the whole thing might make her consider her actions. And if you tell him first, maybe he can help you with your mom.
    Good luck!

9. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  10. winter89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Life would be easier if parents just asked you... but what fun would life be if it was easy? You are probably the best person to judge how your parents will react. I think a letter might be a good idea if you think your mom will be very emotional when she first finds out. That way she can have time to process it. Good luck with everything!

11. pianoguy

yeah
    I am leaning towards writing a letter to both of them
    my only concern with that is not being there at the time
    I wouldn't be able to answer any of their questions about it in person, which might give them time to formulate their own ideas
    thats going to happen anyways though I guess
    I will just cover all of my bases in the letter

12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Good luck, pianoguy. I think the letter idea might be a good route, since you'll be able to tell them both in your own way at the same time. Any idea how soon you're going to do it?

You said you wish they would just ask you, huh? Wouldn't that be awkward all on its own? Perhaps you aren't as obvious as you think? Or maybe (from your pic you look high school age) they think you're still a bit young and just haven't found a girlfriend yet?

13. tired_of_lying411

When I came out to my mom, there was no question that I would tell her, and only her, first.

She kept my secret for three years, when I decided to tell my dad. She was with me and offered much support. I was more afraid of his reaction, but he was fine with it. I don't know if she told him how long she'd known. Probably

Anyway, it all worked out well for me... This is how it needed to happen for me, I think.

14. pianoguy

yes
    I'm definately going to do the letter route
    my dad goes on a lot of business trips so I could e-mail him
    that seems really lame, but that way he could respond with questions right away
    my mom... ehhh I don't know how I am going to do that
    maybe I could put a letter in her car on the way to work
    haha she would probobly end up late
    :slight_smile:

thanks everyone.. I will probobly be doing it within the next two weeks
    it depends on when my dad is out of town
    hahah
    sounds so weird...
    but I'm so ready to put this behind me

15. Good luck I hope it goes well when you decide to do it:slight_smile: