1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How in the hell do I get someone to ask me the big question?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, Jun 11, 2010.

1. I'm 100% ready to say it... if others ask. I'm not wanting to say it first. I'm not really the type to break the ice. I've had others ask me so many times, but they've recently stopped. I don't know why, but it's almost pissing me off. Almost all of the kids at school think that me and a friend (who I'm 99% sure is gay, but I'm not at all attracted to him) are a couple. People always refer to us as "you guys", "you two", or by both of our first names. He's flaming as hell (and I used to flame out for the hell of it, I'm actually pretty "butch") and I'm not. We sit next to each other and hang out behind the building everyday during break. People have asked us if we make out or smoke weed (both are completely untrue) behind the school. Now people don't even ask. Either they've all looked at my Facebook (it say that I'm interested in men on there), they don't care anymore, or they think that I'm straight. It would be annoying as hell if they thought I was straight now. I just want to get this over with. I'm ready to move on to the next stage of life. I don't need to hide any longer. It's still really crazy that I'm going to be openly gay at 14, but I'm not the type to be a little bitch. I get stuff done when it's necessary. Now I'm just waiting for someone to open the closet and stick their hand out for me. If they don't do it within the next two or three weeks, I'm going to have to spill the beans myself. Any advice?

2. wizdrorcal

First of all, way to go for figuring all this out by 14! I'm like you in the sense that I'm not going to around telling people; they need to ask. My advice would be to go forward with whatever your next stage of life is. I don't see why you need to wait on this "road block" to pass and people to officialy figure it out. Let them think what they want. If they really want to know, they'll ask. But bottom line is...dont hold off being who you are because they haven't talked to you about it. You're right....they either don't care, already know, or don't see it. So don't let it be annoying if they think you're straight...nothing wrong with that! Just don't hide who you are, live your life, and be happy! Don't worry what others think or say.

3. Mogget

There's a phase when you're coming out where you transition from an assumption that people think you're straight to an assumption that people think you're gay. That seems to be where you are right now. There's basically good reason to believe that most of the people you know know you're gay*, so it's really just a matter of either talking about cute guys or saying, "Hey, I don't think I actually told you, but you do know I'm gay, right?"

One of the main coming out fantasies is that someone will ask us what our sexual orientation is. I've had it happen twice. Don't expect it.

*years of sarcasm almost demand I type "your ghey."

4. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Congratulations on being able to figure it all out at your age, Wish i could have! I am a good few years older but more or less in a similar situation to yourself. It would be so much easier if people would just ask, but sadly it's not that easy. The time will come where it will feel right for you to make the move and bring the subject about in conversation.

5. Connor22

lol a guy on the bus asked me if I was, when I said yes he near blew a gasket it was funny

anyway back to you, why not just act really gay, say things like ooh hes hot or something, youll know if the oppourtuniy presents itself

6. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had the 'if someone asks I'll tell them' policy for about 6 years now, and no one has asked. Well that's not true, when I was at a party a girl said to me 'so you're gay then' and I was horrified (no one had ever asked) and I unintentionally scared her off.

It is great that you're at this stage at 14, but it sounds like you're ready to tell people now, you just don't know how to bring it up. You should try and think of ways to tell people, because they might not ask. Occasionally direct the conversation towards gay topics, or hint at your sexuality if you want to prompt people to ask you. Who knows, you might find the courage to tell them first

7. bironey

Out Status:
    All but family
    Why are you trying to rush the information into their heads? You know it, don't you? Your sexual orientation shouldn't mean more about you than your ethnicity or choice of music for that matter.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How can you get them to ask the question? Simple but brutal answer: you can’t. Because you can’t control what people do and don’t say.

Now, a somewhat longer answer is that basically there’s two possible situations.

- People have no idea you might be gay. In that case, it’s pretty simple. They won’t pop the question because it wouldn’t appear to them. They’d have to have an idea first. Which leads us to option number two:

- People have their suspicions. However, this does not mean they’ll ask you. Because, short of seeing you doing unambiguously gay things (like, say, kissing with a boyfriend, or waving a gay pride flag), they probably think it could be all in their heads.
    Also, asking someone whether they’re gay and getting it wrong is a recipe for drama (and in the worst case, physical abuse), so they might want to keep doublechecking some more.

So, in both cases, absent overwhelming evidence, people will never ask the question directly.

However, what you tell is already full of examples of them asking indirectly!! Mentioning you two together and seeing how you react is a way of probing what kind of reaction you give. And asking you whether you made out is basically asking whether you’re gay in a roundabout way.
    And so what if they asked in a roundabout way? You got a question, you give a direct answer. When they ask if you make out, you reply “Nope. I’m into guys, but he’s just not my type”. Or, as was already said above, when the topic of who’s hot and who’s not, you mention guys you like. People will pick up pretty quickly after that. Maybe it’s not a big “I’m gay” moment, but the result will be that you’ve dispelled all doubts!