1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ahhthehorror, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

I was wondering if writing a letter, email, or writing it on a cake was appropriate for coming out of the closet. My parents said to me and my sister they'd be fine if one of us were gay about a year ago but I don't have the guts to say it out loud. :icon_redf

2. Mogget

I've come out to a lot of people via e-mail and other written communications. It's often easier that way.

3. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

It's just that they're my parents you know lol.
    I'm only really scafred they'll ask me loads of questions about it and it'll be really awkward. :s

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must admit I'm amused by the idea of coming out by writing it on a cake. If you do it that way, you should think of something really clever to put on the cake :slight_smile:

Hopefully, whatever route you choose, your parents will have enough decorum to not ask you a bunch of embarrassing questions. :slight_smile: If they do, you can always say you don't feel comfortable talking about that sort of thing with them, and hopefully they'll understand that.

5. theJosephDean

It definitely is. I came out to my sister (who is a lesbian, anyways) via email and to my best friend by scribbling it down on a piece of paper while sitting next to her in class. :lol:

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're family said they're ok with you being gay before you even came out, then i'm sure a letter would be fine! I'm so jealous, I wish my parents would say that... instead they ask if i have a girlfriend like every time i see them.

7. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

My parents started doing this very frequently about a year before they asked me if I was gay....

But to the OP, I think it would be nice to talk with your parents about it, especially since you know they will be accepting of it. Perhaps you could give them a note, so you can get all of your initial and most important thoughts out before they can interrupt you, but then stay or come back into the room when they are done reading so that they can talk with you. :slight_smile:

8. Ralivar

I think a letter is a good idea, and personally its the way I'll do I think when I come out to my parents. I think for me its similar in that I'm worried about all the questions they might ask, and that if I try and do it in person that I'll end up backing out.

I think in the end its what you think will work best for you, if the best way for you to do it is through a letter then thats how you should do it.

9. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

Hm, now what to write. (!)

10. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always thought that I should play a couple of technically challenging piano pieces at a school assembly, then say "The great virtuoso Vladmir Horowitz once said that 'there are three types of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists.' All that I can say is that I'm not Jewish" afterward and leave the stage. :lol:

11. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

That would be fucking awesome. :astonished:

12. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, yeah. XD

13. titaniumCloset

What do you guys plan on doing with your letters? Leave them at their place at the kitchen table and leave for the day (go to school, work, etc.) and then come home and be like....."ummm, hi. :astonished:"

14. Ralivar

At the moment I'm at the other side of the world so I would have to post them and wouldn't see them for like six months, lol. My plan when I was back in Australia was to leave them on their beds and then go somewhere overnight (to a friends or something like that) to give both myself (so I'm not tempted to take the letters back) and for my parents to have some space to think.

15. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

I will use my insomniac powers for good. <3