1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coworker Suspects Something

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Jun 12, 2010.

1. EM68

Today at work one of my coworkers who is in his 50's was talking with me and a couple of other coworkers about how is nephew is visiting from Puerto Rico. He is 17 and gay. It sounds like from they way my coworker has talked he does not really like him because he is gay. he says that he is family and if his nephew needs something he would help but he does not like his choice of lifestyle. I did mention that its not a choice and its the way he was born. Also a couple of days ago he said something to me about his nephew and I said it was not a choice and he should not be treated differently.

A little while after that he took my friend T to the side to ask her about my reaction. He said to her that I reacted strongly and was as if I was defending myself. He knows that T and I are real close. I am out to T and tell her everything. She played dumb and did not say anything to him. Basically did not give him a straight answer. T told me this and now I don't know what to do.

I know how the rumor mill works at my job. People start to talk to each other until they get an answer. My main concern is that he may go around and ask other coworkers if they know if I am gay. I did come out on Facebook a while ago and I have not gotten any reactions. I am wondering if I should come out to him and tell him that I have not said much because I want to keep my business to myself. I thought I was ready to come out to people at work so I don't know why I'm stressed our about this. :help:

2. s5m1

Ed, you have come a long way since joining EC, and I am really proud of all that you have worked through. Coming out as late in life as you and I did, I don’t think that we will ever be 100% free of a bit of internalized homophobia. I discussed this very topic with my therapist not too long ago. The key, though, is recognizing when the internalized homophobia is preventing you from living your life as you want to.

I know you have wanted to be out at work for a long time but have always been concerned about potential negative ramifications. It is fear of the unknown, based on this internalized homophobia, that is keeping you from taking the next step. I am reading a book right now, titled “Straight Jobs, Gay Lives.” It is a fascinating study of gay professionals at work, who span the gamut from totally closeted to fully out, and everywhere in between. You may find it helpful. Although the subjects of the book are all gay Harvard Business School graduates, I think you will find that the feelings and experiences of many of the gay and lesbian people in the book closely match yours. The conclusion of the authors seems to be that those who are out and open at work, regardless of the industry, actually have very few, if any, negative experiences. It is those who are totally or partially closeted who have problems. Not to mention, those are the people who feel such great stress when they may be outed at a time and place that is not of their choosing.

Maybe take a step back and think about why you are feeling such stress about just telling this guy how you know it is not a choice. Perhaps hearing it from a peer will allow him to better understand his nephew, as well as gays as a whole. The authors of the book I referred to above concluded that many people who were originally perceived to be homophobic had never had the opportunity to discuss what it means to be gay with a gay person. Once given the opportunity to interact with a real live gay human being, they often changed their views.

3. EM68

Thanks for the advice. I do think that once i do come out at work I won't feel like I am hiding part of me. You are right I am afraid bit of the unknown. I love most of the people I work with. Even thought its not the career of my choosing and I do want to leave one the economy improves I do get along with most of the people there. Part of me fears that if I come out my coworkers they will treat me differently and I don't want that to happen. Also there are people from different cultures and I am not too sure how they will react.

4. s5m1

The book discusses this at some length and found that those who came out on their own encountered very few, if any, instances of people treating them worse after coming out. In contrast, those who were outed had a greater likelihood of receiving some negative reactions from people. In many instances, this was because coworkers were offended that the gay person did not trust them enough to be open with them.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm I think that while you could see some difficulties if you came out to him, I think you should just let whatever happens, happen. If no one else at work has expressed concerns should they know, I think it's not a big deal. Plus with him being 50, it's quite difficult to try and change his mind as he is slightly fixed in his ways. Plus since he is just a co-worker of yours, not necessarily a friend...I think you don't really need to worry about his opinion. He's one person, and unless he starts making your life hell at work, I think it's not that big a deal....and since you're quite a strong person from what I've seen you develop since you came to EC, I feel that you know what is best for you to do.

6. EM68

I know he won't make my life a living hell. I am very friendly with him. He actually sold a car to my parents when I was in the phone department. I am going to think about this a bit but I am leaning towards coming out to him.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck :slight_smile:

8. EM68

I decided to not say anything. Today after our meeting I heard some people make some homophobic jokes. I am going to just not say anything and keep to myself for now on.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we've discussed this before, but the reason people are (or act) homophobic is out of ignorance. And they rarely come to some sort of enlightenment all on their own. It's usually up to somebody to call them out on it. You kind of did that before, and that's great. But I've found nothing forces a major rethink in a homophobe than being confronted with someone gay. Because up until that point, they can push aside any gay people as "them" and not deal with them as human beings. My guess is your co-worker is doing that with his nephew. He's gay, so he's keeping the wall up. But he already knows and interacts with you. And since he apparently already suspects, I don't think keeping quiet is much of an option. Better you own it than shrink away from it.

Think back to all the people you did come out to. I recall you putting it off several times, each time thinking that the time wasn't right. But was the time ever "right"?

Will your co-worker treat you differently? Almost definitely to start out with. People have to get used to ideas like this. But if you do it confidently, I'm betting he'll come around.

Lex

10. Jim1454

Will they treat you differently? I hope so! I would hope that they'd stop telling homophobic jokes!!!

It is just totally unacceptable for you to endure that at work. I'd say go back to the first person you were talking about and tell them that you know that he was asking about your orientation, but that 'T' felt that it wasn't her place to out you - but that she told you that he'd asked. With that as an introduction (he brought the topic up but didn't have the nerve to ask you directly) you can carry on and tell him that you are gay. That is isn't a choice, and that it was something that you yourself have struggled with over the past several years.

I mean, why worry about the whole company gossiping about you? Instead, just lay it all out in the open. You'll be showing a whole lot more courage than they are showing.

11. EM68

thanks Lex and Jim. I will let you know if I deside to do anything. I wish I kept my mouth shut.

12. EM68

Right now I decided not to say anything to my coworker. I talked to T today and she said there has been nothing going around about me. Work had been very slow and there is talk about layoffs. I just don`t want to give management any amo.

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if you'd be giving them ammo, necessarily. But I do know if you were to get laid off after you came out, even if the two events weren't related, you'd be wondering if they were. Perhaps it's best to hold tight for the time being.

Lex

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts exactly. Yeah, I wouldn't come out at this stage. Maybe wait until things improve again before coming out.

15. EM68

Thanks again Lex and Mirko. The more I think about it, it is the most prudent thing to do. Some of the managers are old school car guys. I don't know how they would react.