1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come out w/ or w/o bf?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by greyundrstndng, Sep 9, 2007.

1. There are alot of people (especially my parents) that i havent told im gay. however, i kinda want to wait until i have a boyfriend before i decide to tell them. i know that my parents wil not take the news well (they may actually try to exorcise the gay demon spirit from me!:icon_sad: ) not kidding. i feel that if i have a boyfriend then it will be more than just a phase, as my labels everything i do. i dont know how long it will be (if ever! hopefully soon, but w/e) before i have a boyfriend. i realize that i will need to come out a bit to have a boyfriend, but thats okay with me. the big issue is my parents. should i wait?

2. winter89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I personally didn't tell my family until I had a girlfriend. But then again I didn't know about myself until I met my girlfriend. I think it really depends on how you feel about keeping such a big part of your life a secret. If you really think they will try and convince you and themselves that this is just a phase and you can handle keeping it a secret until you have a boyfriend, I say more power to you. Good luck!

3. Thanks! it helps alot!
    As ive said before in another thread, and hinted at here, my parents are deeply religious christian. should i send them the Family Acceptance link? would that be an appropriate hint before seeing them again?

4. Zec24

I would agree with Winter for the most part. Although, I came out to my parents before I had a girlfriend/boyfriend. They threw that question at me about how could I know, and maybe its just a phase. I've struggled with that question for the past year now, but at the same time I'm glad I talked to my parents. Its really a personal decision, but if you feel strong enough and feel ready to tell your parents then go for it. If you want to wait, then wait, there is no rush. Good luck.

5. Casey17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure if I would tell them I had a boyfriend as I'm telling them that I'm gay. It'd be an extra shock. But, it would be nice to have someone there to support you in case it doesn't go so well.

6. I agree its really a toss up. One the one hand telling them you're gay + you have a boyfriend could make the shock more difficult but on the other hand having that person there for you could help you if you have to deal with difficult fallout.