1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out on Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IsItSo, Jun 13, 2010.

1. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    This week is the penultimate week of the school year for me (my school is evil - we're dismissed in late June and have to come back in late August) and the last week if you don't count finals. I decided to make it my goal to come out on Facebook before the new school year begins, but I can't decide when exactly I should. I was thinking of doing as soon as the year ended, like as soon as I get home from my last exam, but that seems kind of cheap to me. So I'm contemplating coming out next weekend, before finals. I kind of even want to do it before then. So what do you think?

2. titaniumCloset

What do you mean by out on facebook, changing your "Interested In:" to "Men"? Or changing your status to "Oh hi I'm gay!"

I think the changing the interested in is a good idea but many people do the status updates as jokes when they get their account stolen by a friend...so maybe not a good idea / unneccessary? I dunno, I changed my "Interested In:" and then set it so some people can/can't see it.

3. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll do both. I'll designate my interest as being in men (I haven't touched that part of my profile) and reiterate it in my status.

4. titaniumCloset

Well as a "FYI" changing your "Interested In" doesn't show up on the home page - thank god! haha, so you could do that whenever and someone would have to look at your page to see it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: As for the status update - not sure what you'd write but it's probably something to think about since you'll be telling probably EVERYONE you know.