1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tired_of_lying411, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tired_of_lying411

This is kind of a medical issue, being about sex, but I think the themes relate more to this sub-forum than the "Health and Well-being" sub-forum. Move it if you feel the need.

So first... how do you really decide if you are a "top" or a "bottom"?

I've... let's say, tried bottoming by myself... before... It was okay. I could enjoy that..
    But how do you really like decide... When it all comes down to, say, meeting some guy in a bar, deciding you're going to "hook up" and then you're back at his place. You're definitely going to do it, the clothes come off, then the condoms come out...

Who puts the condom on? How do you know that he is a top, if you are a bottom, for example?

This is purely hypothetical, I'm light-years away from this... but I'm curious as to how it all works.

2. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Well im myself am more pulled tward being a bottom and rather be the bitch and be the one on the bottom. Plus it looks like the most fun =D

3. SpikySpice

As I can see, the one who is more active will most likely being the top, the shy one will probably be the bottom, since the top has more work to do, and the bottom dont do much in most positions

well, but you'll find out when you meet that particular guy, like making out

----------

PS its' co complicated cuz with a str8 couple, they dont need to decide who's top who's bottom lamo

4. Jim1454

I'd say that if you're clothes are off and the condoms are coming out, you probably should know each other well enough to know what role you're about to play.

It's quite possible that you'll like both - and then it really doesn't matter.

5. tired_of_lying411

So we would talk about something like this??? Obviously, two first-timers would be talking about it, but later in life, when you're looking for a one night stand, are you really going to be discussing preferences in the first few minutes of conversation?

And what happens if I DO like both.... and what if HE liked both, too? Then how would we ever decide? Flip a coin? :lol:

6. MalibuGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i personally think the top would be better and more fun. :grin:

7. Kibuki kid

Great question, ive wondered the same thing. I really see my self as a bottom because i dont have a dominante personality, and it looks like a lot of fun.....:icon_redf ....So i guess it just comes naturally, but in a "hook up" i guess you'd know by personality.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so first off, stop thinking of "top" and "bottom" as a fixed identity. Being "the top" or "the bottom" is just taking on a particular role during a particular part of a particular "bout" of sex... it's not like something you have to commit to for life and then swear allegiance to the flag of topdom or bottomdom. :lol:

It's funny--I had this conversation just a week ago with a friend and I'm always amazed people freak out about it...

Basically it will be as easy as this: one of you will say, "I really want to fuck you" or some variation thereof and the other will either be okay with it or they won't be. If you both like both, then you have a sweet deal because you can just take turns. The only real "problem" is if you both like getting fucked or doing the fucking, in which case you either agree not to have anal sex together or you agree to take turns. And if you've never done either, you try it out a bit and decide what you like most. And what you like with one person may be COMPLETELY different from what you like with another.

Sexual position choice is definitely a very important example of when labels are taken way too far by people! Yes, you might end up liking one position/role more than another but that doesn't mean you are irrevocably a top or a bottom and that you couldn't enjoy a whole variety of positions.

For example, with one boyfriend, I predominantly fucked him. With another, I was predominantly the one who got fucked. With yet another, we barely had anal sex. So yeah... things don't have to be fixed in stone, nor should they be.

In fact, I get really tired of the people who are hardcore rigid about this kind of thing: like the whole "I'm never letting a guy 'go' there" attitude or the whole "oh fucking someone is way too much work" train of thought and all those similarly silly types of attitudes. People of the world, stop limiting yourselves!

(!)

Go forth and have varied types of sex!

9. tired_of_lying411

Well said, joeyconnick!

I guess this all makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out for me. I completely agree with you, and definitely want to try both. Sounds like I'm in for lots of fun!
    :lol:

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, quiet you! We hate you enough already--you don't have to rub our faces in it!

:lol:

11. tired_of_lying411

12. Bryan

in all of my fantasies, I am the top, but would be willing to be the bottom too

13. pete92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm also a top.:icon_bigg

14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

I think you should go into it with a "versatile" mindset and just gravitate toward whichever position is most desirable for you and your partner. :slight_smile:

After all, if you insist on ALWAYS being just one and not the other, think about it: your options are halved! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Daniel6

can i be a top when mine is only 4'' ?:icon_sad:

16. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

You can be either and enjoy both. Joey said things best. And yes you need to discuss the issue before hand, something like this can't be assumed or sniffed out of the air. If you are going to be intimate with someone, then you are engaging in a very personal thing, even showing your private bits and letting someone else touch them, so talking about it before hand would be a good idea. As said above, it is not something set in stone. Moods change so you do what you feel like at the time.

As for being a top with 4", yep you sure can be.

17. boynextdoor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ah, here we go with my stupid yaoi thing.
    I can't help you with deciding which one, though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Uke= Bottom, Suke/Seke= Bottom or Top, Seme= Top.
    I think I'd like the bottom better, probably.

18. oneday004

I have no intrest in being a top.......being a bottom drives me nuts :icon_bigg

19. Fiddledeedee

Guys, this thread is from over six years ago and the OP hasn't been on since 2011. Please check dates before you post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.