1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Owen, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Recently, an old friend added me as a friend of Facebook. She was one of my best friends while she was in high school, so I added her. I looked at her profile, and saw that she was bi. I never truly suspected her of being bi, but the thought did cross my mind.

Anyways, after I found out, I realized something; I have more respect for bi women than for straight women. I don't know if it's because both of my last two female best friends were bi, but that's a possibility. Does anyone else find themselves to have similar views?

2. tired_of_lying411

I don't categorize my respect of others by sexuality, nor can I find such a pattern.

3. Bryan

strangely, i feel the same way you do, and I had something simmilar happen. Someone I met this summer facebook friended me and I saw that she was a lesbian, mabye it is because I feel like I can relate to her. It isnt respect so much tough. i just think it is easier for people to relate to other people like themselves.

4. Kat22

Earlier this year before I was out to anyone, my boss (who is more like a good friend than a boss) told one of my lesbian coworkers that lesbians and gays were defects in society. As you can imagine, she and her girlfriend, who also works there, were infuriated, as was I (but at the time I could attribute it to they were my good friends too). I told him he needed to get his facts straight and realize that they are humans who deserve love just like he does. He retracted his comment, but the damage had been done. I left for the summer, and over the summer, many of the people at my work place found out about me, so I had just assumed that my boss had too. Last night we were talking and I said something about my girlfriend. He whips around with a "WHAT?!?!" I was shocked. I told him he had to have known, and that he has met her millions of times. After his initial shock was over, we started talking about it, and he said not only did he respect me for chosing to be who I am rather than hide it, but that also his opinion had changed. He realizes now that for us, chosing to be ourselves rather than conform to appease society is not only hard, but deserves the respect of all straight people.

Just thought you'd like to know that some straight people have similar views too!

5. DarkShadow

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't care what sexuality someone is, if they're friendly to you and make you laugh sometimes... WHO CARES! :slight_smile: They gotta be a great friend