1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullied in high school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by katmando, Sep 10, 2007.

1. katmando

As I was running outside today, I was thinking about some things. Today my running no longer became about running, it was about anger.

I talked to my therapist last week and told him I had getting over the people that bullied me in high school. A lot of the bulling happened 10-12 years ago and it was mostly by one person name Mitch. I have carried Mitch with me for the last decade. I am always looking out of the corner of my eye looking for the next to person to call me hurtful names like "faggot" "homo" "queer" "gay" Mitch was also big on making fun of my voice. I have just started to realize the only one that is strill carrying Mitch around is me.

I thought of Mitch as I passed my high school today as I ran. I got angry, really pissed. I don't say this to brag, but I ran my fastest time ever 7 miles 47:40, but I only did this because I still carried Mitch with me. I guess Mitch is good to carry around when I run, but not in my everyday to day life.

Thanks for letting me vent
    Justin

2. LorenzG1950

Hey Justin, you need to dump Mitch. How silly is it to become angry about something Mitch might have said or done 10 or 12 years ago?

Run by the school a few more times and bury that SOB in the schoolyard. :dead:

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    LorenzG1950 is right! When you carry anger and hostility with you, it only hurts you.

4. katmando

I know. I think I just caught up in it. When I passed the high school I became somewhat "triggered" and I thought of Mitch, because I saw some kids standing out the high school.

I think I am realizing just now, how much I have let Mitch get to me. I am slowly starting to let him go. But just the teasing in general still hurts some from high school. I have given Mitch and the others that teased me in high school way too much.

The one that I disagree about is "anger" I think anger can be an okay a emotion to have. I sometimes feel more motivated when I am angry. I don't think all anger is bad.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, all anger is definitely not bad... it's important that we let ourselves get angry as opposed to bottling it up. It's just that anger is a very hard emotion for all of us to deal with effectively because it can be so overwhelming and it is part of the "fight or flight" response we have. And so most of the time anger is masking sadness/disappointment/hurt and people (well okay, me at least) have a tendency to deal only with the secondary feeling, the defense mechanism (anger) and then not work through the stuff underneath it. So in a lot of cases the anger seems endless and eternal because the underlying causes for it don't get addressed.

Anger is the symptom, not the cause, and not addressing the cause leads to the symptom persisting.

But yes, you can channel your anger into productive endeavours. It's just important to give some attention to any feelings that accompany it.

I used to think I was crap at "letting go" (of feelings, things, people, attachment) and through a lot of therapy, actually (ah therapy, you modern-day obsession), I realised that I was shit at letting go because I never really DEALT with my feelings about things and that once I let myself feel the whole spectrum of my emotional response to something instead of just getting angry about things, the feelings eventually faded away, seemingly on their own. I don't know if we every fully "let go" of something because hey, we have this weird thing we call memory :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but we can definitely work through stuff until it no longer has any major hold over us.

6. DarkShadow

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey i get the same now, i just generally ignore them and forget about them, They're just sad acts with nothing better to do with their lives...... Take away everything from your system with something u enjoy.. helps for me

7. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i been teased by bully ones at high school for ages. i get up set some times but do have a couple of mates that stand up for me and my 13yo brother william also now goes to my high school with me and looks out for me on the bus etc etc. one of my teachers likes me also and he makes sure that the bully ones keep away from me

8. Jim1454

Therapy - our modern day obsession! How true!

Isn't it interesting how we do carry these things around with us without even knowing it! And coming to realize that in fact you are carrying it around gives you the opportunity to finally deal with it, and put it to rest. How liberating!

And wow - 7 miles! I don't care how long it takes you! That's impressive! :thumbsup: