1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soo ...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Steve712, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kind of at this foreboding line in my coming out process. I'm so close to being totally out at school, but I can't bring myself to hop those few centimetres over to the brighter side of the tiny line. I could totally do it. I have a good support system of friends and my mom who already know and who care about me, guidance, my homeroom teacher (who is epic, by the way) and the administration are all backing me. Most of the students would be largely indifferent to it. I have already experienced rejection from coming out to a previous group of friends, so I know how to deal with the negative side of it by now. I just need to go "all right, Stephen, this is it" and land myself over to that mysterious state of being "out." This is by far the toughest decision with which I've ever been faced.

2. pete19

I know how you feel. I'm trying to come out as trans to everyone...and I'm having a hard time getting on with it. It's what I want...but I think some of the resistance I'm rubbing against is what's pulling me back. My mom....she won't even consider it. she's what is making this the most difficult because I feel like i can do nothing about it. and my support system is almost non-existent. The line your trying to cross is sooo vague that it is hard to get there. I think it is less of ohk everyone knows i'm gay right? and more completely accepting to yourself that you are gay and that is who you are. Nobody is ever going to change it and it's a big deal to finally be openly gay.

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I do completely accept myself and I have no problems with talking about my sexuality with the people who already know (save the people who ditched me; I have a hard time talking to them at all). I just don't want to hide it around anyone. I want to be as open about my sexuality as I want to be without worrying about who's listening to the conversation. It's just really, really hard to tell a given person for the first time.

4. pete19

Oh yeah I see what your saying. It's kind of like hearing yourself say it right? Like I have no issues being trans but when I try to say it I choke on it.

5. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. It's annoying, to say the least.

6. pete19

lol the least...I don't quite understand why either because i'm completely comfy in who I am. But I just can't make it come out of my mouth.

7. Lucky Panda

I understand where you're coming from. The only thing that comfuses me is what you're trying to be when you're "out". Of course, we don't walk around in lives with huge labels on our foreheads that say "In the closet" or "out". What I mean to ask is, define your "out". Is it that you won't deny it if someone asks you? Or that you're going to be running around the hallways screaming your sexual preference? I'm "out" (in a way) to anyone who asks me. I won't deny it, but I personally don't see it as any of their business as to go about screaming it to unknown people.

Maybe what you're getting at (and that I might've realized just now) is that you'll be fine wearing Gay Pride clothing and articles, or perhaps holding a boy's hand as you walk to your next class? I don't mind being seen when I sport a rainbow wristband or belt at school, and I sure don't as hell mind when I'm with a boy I like and be seen holding his hand. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But that doesn't mean my status as "out" is complete, either...

This calls for a thread...

8. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't mean that I'll tell everyone I see, haha. I just don't want to be nervous about who's listening, or pretend to like girls in conversations with acquaintances. It's basically everything that you listed minus the screaming.

9. Lucky Panda

So you're defining it as being fine and open about it. You just don't want to feel nervous. Interesting, because I personally see being nervous or embarassed as a reoccuring feeling you won't get rid of. It's just being self-conscious and aware of who's listening.

Right?

10. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. The only reason I'm like that is because I'm worried about what people will think about my sexuality. It isn't that I'm shy about sex ... on the contrary, I'll gladly speak about sex. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Lucky Panda

:O! I think I get it!

Lol, sorry, but the term "out" confused me (as the thread i started states).

So, what you want to feel is secure; not nervous, or embarassed, or self-conscious. If so, the only way to get over these is the fact you need to accept it within yourself, and love yourself for who you are; not what people think of you. Or, perhaps you try to conquer the feeling by telling people, and getting used to the feeling... XD

Am I closer? XD

12. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do love myself (perhaps a little too much, as my friends calls me narcissistic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I just worry about maintaining friendliness with people in my classes. Sadly, I don't have any of my really awesome, amazing, accepting and close friends in some of my classes and I'd rather not be totally alone.

13. Lucky Panda

Being "out" (still iffy on the usage of the word, there) doesn't necessarily mean you'll be friendly or not. Friendliness and lovability come into the aspect of personality. You don't need to be "out" to be friendly. Personally, I have many friends; a lot who don't know, either! It's not that I was "out", but rather that I'm outgoing and make friends outside of the point of being gay or "out".

So, you want to be friendlier by being out?...

14. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean that I am hesitating because I want to keep friendly relationships with my acquaintances.

15. Lucky Panda

And you're afriad of rejection; them turning on you because of you being gay.

Can you be out while wanting only certain people to know? :confused: Or does out mean you make the enemies and the friends? XD

16. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, in not letting certain people know I would inevitably have to pretend to like girls. I don't want to do that.

17. Lucky Panda

Well, you don't want to pretend to be someone you're not. But if you see as telling the people you wouldn't want knowing as a threat, it could be a little more serious.

Are you worried about the physical-bullying or teasing?

18. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not worried about physical bullying, but there would definitely be lots of malicious teasing. I know that I could deal with that through the school's administration, but that would alienate me.

19. Lucky Panda

In some cases, as a couple people have stated, you can be "out" by only telling the people you want! You don't have to tell them, but you also don't have to pretend to like girls! Be you! Be who you are! If it is inconsequently inevitable that you must tell them, then do so and face the the results. You're out when you feel that you've told all that you want to know. As for everyone else, who's business is it?

20. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mm ... I suppose. I guess I'll see how things work out when I'm back in school again.