1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pete19, Jun 16, 2010.

1. pete19

I know I post in here a lot with all different kinds of problems, but it seems that this is the only place I have to go. My support system is almost nonexistent so I turn to the EC community for guidance and support. So thanks to everyone who puts up with me =].

Now onto my problem. Four years ago when I first started identifying as a trans I tried to tell my mom. She pretty much knocked me down and bought herself four more years of having a daughter instead of a son. That brings us to present day. I was lucky enough to find people who understood what I was going through and help me come to terms with the fact that I am trans and that I'm happiest when I am open about who I am. As matter of fact one of my friends finally got it out of me and started calling me Pete and acknowledging me as a guy. She told me later that night that I was already happier than she had ever seen me.

However, it seems that every time I try to even bring it up to my Mom she goes polar on me. She starts screaming and yelling and saying that she isn't going to talk to me about it. She uses the excuse 'I don't understand it' and 'I don't know enough about it'. Now don't get me wrong, I understand that that may very well be true. It is a lot to process. However, she didn't understand it when I was bi yet she did the research and she accepted me for who I was and still am. With this it just seems that she will not even entertain it and she is trying to push me back down a peg. It almost feels liek if she keeps pushing me that she will buy herself more time with a daughter.

To be honest, I'm very close to my mom and I really look up to her. To have her giving me this much resistance is really making it hard. I'm trying to be open about being trans and I'm not ashamed of myself at all. My sister is my biggest supporter and she is constantly giving me words of encouragement and telling me she loves me. She's the only thing that is really keeping my head above water at this point. It's so hard to be open about it when my Mom is constantly backlashing at me...I could really use some advice! :help::bang::confused::help:

2. chained butterfly

It seems your mom is in denial. For parents coming out as bi is easier than coming out as trangendered [x cuse my spelling] or gay or anyother. It gives them an idea that my child still has an opportunity to "go back to normal." Some parents wont even accept bi and it seems your mom is supportive to an extent. I know it's hard, but you should talk to her about it and ask her to not yell. If she rants and raves dont starts yelling back it ALWAYS makes it worse. But in the end, your mom acceptance is important but it really isnt everything. It's as hard on you as it is your mom always remember that.

well, hoped i helped...... you can always PM me though XD the people of EC im sure support you.

3. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Yes, I think there is some denial and mis-understanding.
    Maybe you can have your sister help you talk to your mom, maybe just have her there with you. Mainly though I think she would listen to you if she understood more about it.
    Perhaps you could try explaining about it with her, but if she refuses to listen...maybe try printing stuff online or sending her an e-mail telling her about being trans.
    I really hope this helps, we're here to support you :slight_smile:

4. D_Alejandro

I agree, your mom is in denial. She is shutting out anything related to your identity. It sounds like she is very afraid of it, and that is natural. As humans, we are all afraid of things that we don't understand or know (and sadly, sexual identity is one of them in modern society). She NEEDS to be exposed to your identity. Just give her time. She can't be like this forever. She could be, but it won't be healthy. Since your sister supports you, maybe try to have her talk to your mom and see how things go.

Time is the best method in this case. And if she educates herself about this, bit by bit, she will come to her senses one day. You're still the same person on the inside.

Start with tiny bits of information and don't overwhelm her with big details.

Good luck! :grin:

5. pete19

Yeah I should clear one little detail up. My sister and I don't have the same Mom. And my sister is older than me...so she and my mom don't really talk

6. D_Alejandro

Hm, that makes it a bit more difficult. Do you know anyone that knows YOUR mom that is also supportive of you? If not, then I would give it time and try to have little chats (not deep meaningful conversations) regarding this subject.

If she doesn't want to verbally discuss it, you should give her some resources online that can educate her on Trans gender individuals. Do you think that's an option?

7. pete19

I just spent a little time talking to her and it is really hard for her to cope with. And the biggest thing is that she wants to hear it from other people so she can understand my perspective....it's going to take her quite a bit of time. She flat out told me that she may always see me as her daughter. But at the same time she loves me. Like she may never accept it...but she doesn't want me to not be me and that she will always love.

8. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

:slight_smile: At least it seems she will improve with time..I think if she says she still loves you, she will try and learn more about it. What type of people does she want to hear it from?

9. pete19

I don't really know to be quite honest....

10. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Kk I was just wondering if you could tell someone to talk to her about it if that's what she's looking for; but I really think she will try to learn more about it.

11. pete19

Yeah idk what she is going to do...she is also worried about my Grandparents...she has practically forbade me to tell them. -_-

12. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I think she doesn't want you to tell your grandparents because she is worried that they will "blame" her. I don't know if you want to tell your grandparents, (like I don't know how close you are) but if you did want to tell them in the future, you may want to approach it by telling your mom that it isn't "her fault"...or anybody's fault. But I would wait a little longer for your mom to let the news settle in.

As far as what she is going to do, I think time will tell. The hard part of telling her is over though :slight_smile:

13. pete19

Yeah. Well I'm really close to my grandparents. And she told me that I can't act tranny around them...not shure what that means really...don't be myself? lol. I already dress and act like a guy. It really won't be that long of a leap v.v

14. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

lol, ya i think she is just afraid of what they'll think of her, or else she wouldn't have a reason to tell you who to tell.

15. pete19

Well she said it'll break my grandpa's heart....and she doesn't want to do that...so idk. I mean I get it but I think she is understand how UN-radical this change is gunna be...i mean just look at my pics. That is just me normal...i have done anything diff yet.

16. pete19

So...sorry to resurrect this forum but new problems have arose. I changed my facebook name last night to "Pete". Well that blew up in my face bigger than a nuclear bomb. My Mom flipped and gave me the ultimatum "Change it back and get a new facebook". There wasn't even an option there. I'm trying to be open about things and deal with everything (I've talked to my dr. and he is getting me an appointment with a consular). But everytime anything remotely goes towards the subject she starts freaking crying. I'm really at the end of my rope with no where to go. I want to just leave this house but I have no where to go. It's almost not worth it...the stress it's causing me...I can't take much more. The one person who has been there for me my whole life is turnning their back on me...

17. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I am sorry to hear your having so many problems with you mom there is a booklet from pflag you can download it herehttp://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=594

have you thought about joining the playground? Lauras-playground is a great place for trans ppl

http://www.lauras-playground.com/
    there are lots of people that are just like you there and its allround great info

dgr iam not trying to say get lost but giving you the help and i do hope this helps

18. Eleanor Rigby

Hi Pete and thirst thing (*hug*),

I am sorry your mother is reacting this way to the fact you're transgender. I totaly understand that this must be very difficult to live.
    First thing, your mother loves you. But she has a hard time dealing with the fact her baby girl is a boy. She is probably trying to do what she thinks to be the best, except that it is not.
    You can't go throught the realisation that she has a transgender child and the grieving process she has to go through instead of her.
    What you can do is trying to help her going through this : first thing without letting her keeping you in the closet. The more out you'll be, the less she'll prossibly deny who you truly are. So don't let her choose who you have to be out to. If you want to come out to your grand-parents, then go for it (and don't let her threatening you, no one knows how they'll react to this, and grand-parents can sometimes accept their grand-children the way they are far more easily than parents do.)
    Second thing, as she take as an excuse she doesn't know about it, provide her some educational material about transgender issues. You mother is scared because she doesn't understand what she has to deal with. Education is the best way to fight this kind of fears.
    Here is a link to a Pflag booklet about accepting and welcoming transgender family members, that could be a start.
    http://community.pflag.org/Document.Doc?id=202
    Last but not least : get some support. You have started coming out to your friends and family, and I am happy for you that at least some of them are supportive. Maybe attending a GSA, or another LGBT association could be very helpful.
    Last but not least hold on. It is your happiness that matters. You have just started a long process. Be patient and keep hope.
    Take care, (*hug*)

19. pete19

Thanks for the help guys and gals. First of all...mom won't accept any information from me at all. She is flat out not wanting to cope with it. Actually she cries every other time she looks at me and It's starting to wear me down. Second of all...I'm going to check out the playground thing because I have no idea what that is. I guess the hardest part is my lack of support. I know I'm getting support when I go to college because there is a GSA there and the lady already met me and she is extremely excited about me coming out and everything ^_^. the problem is I don't move for another 61 days (yes I'm counting down). There is NO support system in the town i live in and NO groups or meetins I can go to. Without a car of my own....going to the next biggest town is almost impossible...

20. Eleanor Rigby

Well, you can at least try to give her these booklets. Even if she doesn't want to read them now, or with you around, she may read them in a few days, or weeks, or months.
    The way you give them to her might be important too. You can try an approach telling her that you understand this is very difficult for her to accept your transgender, and that you have tried to find some things to help her dealing with this. I think it's important to make it about her, and not about you.
    On a side note, I think the fact she is crying when she is looking at you, even if this is very upsetting, may mean that she starts to realise that you truly are transgender, and that she is getting out denial. Once again, give her time. She has to grieve the daughter she had to be able to truly accept you as her son.
    I totaly understand that it must be a very tough time to go through right now. But keep in mind 61 days (even if it seems long) are nothing in a life. You'll be able to find some support in college. Until there, keep talking to your sister, to the one of your friends who are supportive, and feel free to make as many posts as you need on EC.
    You have our full support.
    Hold on, and take care (*hug*) Cécile