1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell my roommates...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pete19, Jun 17, 2010.

1. pete19

Hey. So I go for room selection at my college tomorrow and I'm really excited. However there is a glitch... The law says I'm a girl. But I'm sure most of you on here know that I'm a tranny boy because I post all the time lol. So anyways, I'm being put in a room with three other girls... I mean it's not liek it's a big deal to me because I don't really have an orientation. I love everyone (hense the 'I ride the rainbow' as my orientation on here). I just don't quite know how to break it to my roomies without them freaking out on me. It's my intention to go to this college and be completely open about my being a 'tranny boy'. I'm not ashamed of it at all. I'm hoping for a warm welcome from my roommates...so I have a little support going into the new school...but I'm worried I'm going to have the exact opposite. I could use advice on the whole situation.

How do I cope? How do I tell them? What do I do if they react badly? How do I explain it if they don't understand? How do I explain 'I ride the rainbow'? And the list goes on....pleaaaase help!:bang::***::help:

2. Mogget

There's a number of possible routes you could go. What I'd start with is checking your school's discrimination policies. Some schools have really good protections for queer folks, others...don't. You won't use the policy against your roomies, but being aware may make it easier to get transferred if the first set doesn't work out.

Okay, so, what I'd do is try and get ahold of them before you move in and say something along the lines of, "While I'm legally a girl, I ID as a boy (you can go into presentation as needed). I understand if that'll create problems for you, and if necessary I can try to find somewhere else (or work with, or whatever), but I'm not gonna perv out at you (prob not best word choice). If it matters, I'm attracted to men and women." You can revise as needed. I'm a writer and would do it in a note, you may prefer to say it aloud.

3. Markio

I actually had a friend who had a FtM roommate her freshman year in college. The FtM roommate was very secretive and defensive about it, which was unfortunate because my friend was actually quite fine with it, except that she couldn't ask him any questions. My point is that your roommates may be surprisingly open-minded like me friend was, so it could work out really well. :slight_smile:

I think you could tell them what you just told us above. "So this might sound strange. I'm a guy, but legally I'm listed as a girl. I hope that's okay with you."
    Then I would just anticipate what questions they might ask. And come up with short answers to them.
    If they really do react negatively, you could probably talk to your resident advisor or someone who works in the housing office. While you're there tomorrow, just try to find out who to contact for housing information in case things get rough, because it is totally under their jurisdiction to deal with that type of stuff.

4. Zumbro

If you haven't, you should certainly tell the administration about your situation. Unless 4 in a room is the standard at your school, they might place you in a single room, or put you in a double since it will be easier to work out any roommate issues that may arise. You will be rooming with a female rather than a male though, likely by law. There are very few colleges that are liberal enough to allow mixed rooming, unless you're married. They have their reasons for this, which are completely valid, so don't expect that to change.

As far as telling whoever your roommates are, this isn't really something you can be subtle with. You've got to get it out there right away to prevent any issues before they arise. "Hey, I was assigned as your roommate! It's nice to meet you! I want you to know that I'm bisexual though, as well as working on transitioning from female to male. If this is going to cause any issues, we should bring it up with housing now.

5. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think being open and honest about who you are is the best choice possible. The other girls might not understand your situation but you have to allow them time to get used to it. If you're honest and nice to them, i'm sure they'll return the favor, even if they dont understand

6. pete19

So, got my room selection. And the lady doing the assignment is the advisor for the campus' GSA (Gay Straight Alliance)!! It was perfect! She put me in a room with girls that were totally understanding and omg it's amazing! I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet so I'm still kind of nervous. But she is going to make sure that 'Pete' is put on my door tag and all the rosters ^_^!!!

7. pokeypanda

Thats SOOOOOO cool. What a coincidence!!! I'm soo glad that every work out ok for you!! Hope the girls are super nice. Let me know how everything goes :slight_smile:

8. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The awesome! That's the absolute best thing that could have happened. :grin:

9. Dtownandrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's excellent that you got put into a good roommate situation. But, being a queer person with all straight roommates myself, just ease them into your situation. Even though they say they may be completely cool with you in the beginning, you don't want make it the only thing y'all are talking about because it could make them uncomfortable.