1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come Out on my Birthday?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Markio, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Markio

Hey, people! :smilewave

So, here's the story: I had planned to come out to my sister this month, when she comes home to visit. Unfortunately, she cannot afford to come visit home in June. She also wants me to look up information about graduate schools because she wants me to consider going right after undergrad, and stuff. So I figured that I would look up stuff about graduate schools, call her, come out, and then talk about graduate school stuff so that the conversation can progress like normal and not be too awkward.

Here's the twist: I still have not looked up any information about graduate schools, and my birthday is on Tuesday. I figured that if I set tuesday as a deadline to look up information, I will be ready to tell her I'm gay if she calls me to say happy birthday.

Here's the question: is it a bad idea to come out on my birthday? She's across the country, and I do want to come out to her soon, and if I'm ready by tuesday, it makes sense to just come out. But I don't know if there is some other consequence to coming out on one's birthday, like if it'll mess things up or something.

What do you think?

2. QuilsQ

You obviously are ready to come out but you're waiting for the right time. If you feel like it's time for you to come out then do it. Only you can know of the consequences that can come out of this.

3. AlyssWonderland

It can be a good time if you're fully ready to tell her :slight_smile: Why not?

4. Zumbro

I think those are two conversations that are not easily lumped into one. Coming out happens whenever you're ready, so do it then. As far as grad school, I personally think your sister is a bit crazy having you looking so directly right now. Not only are you not required to go, but once you take the GRE's or whatever exam you take, the emails will start rolling in like the end of high school.

5. pteen

If you feel ready and think it's the right time. Being your sister and all she probably wouldn't burst out on you on your birthday. I'm assuming she's a nice person who wouldn't take it too badly

So i say if your ready, go for it! :thumbsup:

6. Markio

The graduate school info isn't really meant to be part of the same conversation ("You know how we have majors? Well, I've sorta been majoring in men."), but rather a separate topic to switch to in case she doesn't have much to say about me being gay. I want it to be clear to her that I have other things going on in my life beside sexual attraction to men, such as thoughts on graduate school!

I hope by "ready" you all mean "nervous yet willing."

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Markio, I think you're totally ready, and I think your idea is a fine one. There's no disadvantage per se to telling her on your birthday, so I'd say go for it :slight_smile:

8. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out last year to my family on my birthday. If you think it is the right thing to do than go for it. The reason I had chosen it was because I felt that since it was my birthday that everyone would be in a happier mood than normal and therefore more open the the realization that I was gay. It went pretty well for me and hopefully it will for you too.

9. Markio

Thanks for all your support, people! :slight_smile: I called her but she didn't answer, so I left her a message telling her to call me back. I may just call her once a day until she responds, because I don't want to just wait for the ball to drop, or whatever. I'll post in the Coming Out section when I finally tell her, which I hope is soon!

10. chrisg

Sort a reverse birthday gift... nice, haha. Go for it!
    P. S. And don't worry about grad school. You've got plenty of time, and plenty of options.