1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Studies

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Melissa, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Melissa

Oh, I am just so happy right now that I wanted to post something! LoL After an entirely too long period of time in the realm of uncertainty, I have decided that I want to pursue a psychology major with an LGBT Studies program as a minor or get some type of certification in it. This may seem odd but I have been tortured by not having picked what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. So, in a way it is like an 'educational coming out' for me. : ) Now the search begins for the colleges that offer LGBT Studies. I have some schools I'm already looking into, but I was wondering if anyone on EC knows anything that could help. Sorry if this is weird. I just needed someone to know how excited I am! (!)

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have a Cheshire Cat avatar ... you'll be awesome at it! :grin: Hehe

3. theJosephDean

What a coincidence, right? :icon_wink

---

Anyways, Congrats on deciding!! I think that is an amazing choice, and I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavours xDDD

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An awesome one. :grin:

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on deciding what you want to do. I too am a psychology major. Unfortunately my school doesn't offer a LGBT minor

6. Very nice desision. :slight_smile:

At my school, we lump together Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies (which didn't stop me from getting involved with the discipline), but to have a separate department dedicated to queer issues is incredible. Kudos to you for taking advantage of it.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto :frowning2:

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're looking at psychology with the intention of focusing your practice on LGBT clients, you may not find an LGBT studies degree to be of that much help because the curricula that I've heard about for LGBT studies from the couple of people I know that have done them tend to be focused on sociology, history, activism, and the like, and not so much on psychological aspects.

If money isn't a big barrier, you might consider a private college like Oberlin that allows you to do an individualized major. It's a fair amount of work to prepare and gain approval for an individualized major, but you could assemble one with a mix of psychology, sociology, private readings in the portions of gender and LGBT studies relevant to being a therapist, and so forth.

You may also want to look at schools like JFK University, Institute for Transpersonal Psychology, or California Institute for Integral Studies (all in northern California) that are focused on non-traditional aspects of psychology and allow a much deeper exploration of integrative treatment styles in psychology than a traditional program would have. If you are going after a Ph.D or Psy.D, you should try to find a school that is APA accredited as well; there are a lot of colleges and universities that are not.

Hope that helps.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I don't know if this will help but there is a website listing schools in the US that offer LGBTQ studies and related fields. All of the schools are listed under the "LGBTQ undergraduate majors, minors, certificates, concentrations?" heading a bit further down the page. :slight_smile:

Congrats on deciding what you want to study. Hope it all goes well for you. :slight_smile:

10. jangel

That is awesome right up my ally glad things are going well

11. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds great! I hope you enjoy it and I wish you the best of luck! :slight_smile:

12. titaniumCloset

hey! well i am going to San Francisco state next tyear and saw they have tons of LGBT and human sexuality classes, so I would assume they have a minor. I'm going to take an LGBT course for one of my GE credits. The class I want is "homophobia and coming out". How fitting, eh? :slight_smile: good luck! I too am having an educational/life rebirth right now as well, so I know what you mean.