1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend problems

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kettless, Jun 21, 2010.

1. kettless

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ayyup :slight_smile:
    So contrary to a lot of people, it's my friends that are the problem, not my parents. Wee bit of background here so bare with me :icon_bigg. I came out at about age 15 to my dad and he was really supportive of me, and although my mum took a bit longer she eventually understood that I'm bisexual. The problem was when I tried to talk to my friends about it.

My two closest friends both strongly believe that there's no such thing as bisexual and that it's simply being greedy. And honestly that really hurt so I never brought it up again, and they now seem to think that it's all just went away. I'm too shy to actually try to date girls but have had a few boyfriends so the topic doesn't come up anymore.

So do I just leave the whole matter or should I actually try to talk to them again?
    Cheeeers.

2. theJosephDean

Well, first, welcome to EC!! *throws confetti and welcome party*

Now onto the issues... :]

Hmm. I had some similar problems before I told my closest friends, as a few of them would make gay-related jokes and I would think that even though they're open-minded, they secretly have a problem with it. But I was wrong.

Are you sure they strongly believe it, or was it just a joke they made? I've heard the "bisexuals are just greedy" joke before and - though I don't ever think it's appropriate - I understand it's just some people trying to be funny (and failing miserably at it).

I think you should definitely talk to them about it, maybe not directly, but try to get more of their insight on the matter. If they still feel this way, try to calmly educate them that there is a difference. Being bisexual just means you find qualities attractive in either gender. Greedy is ... well, greedy. Like you said, you're shy. You aren't running through everyone ya meet :icon_wink

Just try to show them that they are a bit misinformed, and hopefully they'll be cool and support you with it. :slight_smile:

3. kettless

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :icon_mrgr cheers!

But yeah I've heard the joke aswell, but before i tried to talk to them about me being bisexual, I tried to talk to them about bisexuality in general. It didn't go down well tbh. Their view is that you're either gay or straight and the rest is just attention seeking or greed.

It's not that I want to shove my orientation down their throats, just to be myself fully around them if that makes sense...

But I'm gonna take your advice and talk to them, thanks again :icon_bigg

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC.

Maybe you could try and explain to them that you dont look at people and separate them by gender and that you admire both the female and male form but that it doesnt mean that you are attracted to all men and women and that despite the fact you are attracted to both you are probably still only attracted to the same number of people they are its just some are boys and some are girls.