1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do YOU Deal with Depression?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RAJ Aladdin, Jun 21, 2010.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Hi all,

I was wondering;

What do YOU guys do to combat depression?

:help:

2. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I'm on anti-depressants.Don't worry they're prescribed by the doctor lol they don't completely wipe out depression or make it less intense, but they make "rough patches" less frequent. At least for me.

When I do get really depressed though, I just lay down and listen to my iPod. Usually depressing music, don't ask me why lol.

3. Zumbro

The counselor at my school health center finally helped me get straightened out. It's not gone, but I can handle it on my own now. Depression and the thoughts that come with it are less frequent the more I can get over them.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just let it come at me. I let the depression happen for a bit, then I try to move on to something else to occupy my mind, and everything just gets better feeling after a while.

5. D_Alejandro

Anti-depressants. Also, keep your mind busy! :slight_smile:

It helps :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Therapy first, medications second (as is should be the case with cases of mild to moderate depression).

I see a Licensed Clinical Social Worker weekly and a psychiatrist relatively infrequently.

7. Eleanor Rigby

First step : aknowleging that I am depressed (an that it's not just a bad day, or that I am tired or whatever... the usual things someone can tell themsleves to hide to themselves the truth.)

Second step : takind an appointment with a therapist. I have been in therapy for 5 years when I was a bit younger. It basicaly saved my life. Last year, I had been feeling not that well, and I searched for a new therapist (I have moved since my first therapy, so I couldn't go back to see my previous therapist, wich I would have done otherwise).

Third step : if depression is out of control, I ask my doctor for medication (antidepressants and/or anxiolytics) to help me cope with the symptoms of the depression. I tend to think about it this way : if I had a broken leg, until it was mending I would take pain-killers. When I am depressed, until I have been able to work on the issues with a therapist, it's ok to take pain-killers too.

Last but not least : I let other people know I am not doing well. Family, friends, Ec... I awake all my support systems, because crying on someone else shoulder helps too, and having someone kicking your ass to oblige you to take care of yourself is not bad either.

8. Tim

Tim

I keep my mind busy.

I (personally) refuse to see a therapist or take anti-depressants. All of them have the side effect of "may cause suicidal tendencies" which seems to defeat the purpose of taking them, at least to me.

That's just my opinion though. Others have their own, as I will always have mine.

But again, the main thing I do is keep my mind occupied. It tends to fail a large amount of the time when I run out of people to talk to (everyone goes to bed, etc) then I TRY to keep it occupied with music, but that only works on occasion.

Otherwise I pretty much don't deal with it. For lack of a better word, I let it mess with me. I don't enjoy feeling like crap, feeling like crying for no reason, etc. But it's just something that I have to deal with, and I do it by not dealing with it. It's hard to explain.

But I find talking to people helps tremendously. Been having issues with that lately though, most my friends have stopped talking to me for whatever reason :confused:

9. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hmmm everyone does positive things.... if it gets hectic i usually have abit of a drink or smoke ._. i know, bad way to deal with stuff.But you asked

10. theJosephDean

Well, I know what I did do when I was depressed. And it's not something I want to do, or hope that anyone else does, ever again.

Now, I honestly just charge through it. Though this is utterly helpless, I just remind myself that everything is temporary, and I try to wrap my mind around the concept of constantly progressing time. Nothing else seems to help, but looking forward to a point in the future towards which to work does a little.

11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I succumb to it. I have yet to find a reliable technique to fully combat my depression.

Although I have discovered that if I find something so strenuous to do that it physically exhausts me I forget about my depression for a while. So that helps for a little while, but eventually it does come back. Once I find one that works I’ll be sure and share it.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's a mild case...

I shake things up. I try new things. I watch more TV and movies (I hardly ever watch anything ordinarily), I go to new restaurants, I find a new way to work, I read a new kind of book.

I engage my creative side. I write more. I take more photos and futz with them with my computer. I draw more. I might pound on the piano a bit.

I get physical. I walk more, run more, stretch more.

I stay busy. I try to stay social. I go hang out with friends, and reconnect with old ones, and go to busy places and have a good time.

If that doesn't help...

I go get help. I talk to my doctor, I go see a therapist, I get on anti-depressants.

Lex

13. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't. Nothing works for me.

14. Glunn11

I cry even if I don't really feel like it, until I have the moment of enlightenment where I go, "Wait, what's the big deal?"

The catch is that the aforementioned enlightenment has been known to take months to happen, and I don't have that many tears. In those cases, I should probably have sought therapy.

15. Mogget

The first, and most important, thing for me is to socialize. Nine times out of ten, my depression has a loneliness component. Obviously, it's important for me to socialize with the right people, as being around new people is a draining experience for me. But being around friends, especially my oldest and best friends, does wonders for me.

Second, being active. This is tough for me as physical activity lets my mind run wild (see below), but it does help in the long term.

Third, meditation. Trying to be present more often, regular spring-cleaning upstairs, and so on. Helps me to control my thoughts and emotions.

Fourth, therapy. This is a basic, and should probably be second, but it generally isn't for me.

Fifth, medication. That's a new one for me, and I'm only willing to take it because of how severe my depression is. While it can increase suicidal tendencies short-term (and has for me), they are supposed to help long-term (I'm not even done with my first week, so couldn't say for sure).

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ My anti-depressants took about a week or two to really kick in. It was a really weird (but extremely cool) feeling when it finally did. The way I describe it is "a break finally showing through the clouds". The first break didn't last very long (maybe 30 seconds), but it's amazing how big a boost I got from it. I suddenly remembered exactly what it was like to be "normal", and I knew I could get back there again. And that made everything so much better.

Lex

17. 1. Listen to some good music that will help you calm down. I listen to some Otis Redding or Regina Spektor when I want to chill out.
    2. Play a good video game. I personally play RPG's, classic games (Tetris, Space Invaders, Ms. Pac-Man), Grand Theft Auto-style games, and music games (Rock Band, DJ Hero). It helps you get out of the real world.
    3. Watch a movie that makes you feel good. I'm a big fan of "so-bad-they're-good" movies, so try one of those if you like 'em. The Room or The Wicker Man (2006 version) is wonderful for that.
    4. Hang out with a friend. Even if you still feel bad, just fake being happy for them. After a little bit of doing it, you'll actually start to feel happy.
    5. Go sit by the water and throw rocks.
    6. Write down your thoughts or type them out.
    7. If you're having suicidal thoughts, think of how the world would be different without you. Think of how you would shatter someone else's world. That almost always helps me.

I hope one of these helps. (&&&)

18. paco

paco Guest

when i get depressed i do something drastic.

for example, when i first got depressed a couple years ago over a boy that lived down the hall, i decided to come out of the closet.

first semester of college (this year) i was depressed cause i hated my roommates and didn't think i could ever be satisfied with a desk job, so i moved out of the college dorms and picked up a music major

then right before summer started, i noticed i was starting to feel bad again cause i felt really alone. so i decided that when i see a person that i think is interesting, even if they're a complete stranger, i'm gonna go talk to them.

depression is always caused by something, and there's usually a solution somewhere, the trick is finding it and doing it. and meanwhile, just remember my siggy.

#18 paco, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  19. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know that I have ever been clinically depressed, but when I'm upset I play the piano, write, read ... basically, I focus upon my hobbies. I also withdraw from my acquaintances a bit more, although I maintain contact with my best friends. I am pretty bad at finding solutions to my problem. I normally have to spend weeks convincing myself before I act.

20. Blondie

Blondie Guest

its tough for me they wont put me on meds the last time they did i went hyper mania on them so i try to talk to my therapist about it all some times he's helpful but other times he is not