1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some retort advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mydogstewie, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mydogstewie

Hey everyone. I know some of us feel hurt by insults they receive from insecure people. I wanted to make a thread with example insults and also some retorts to throw off the bully.

1.) "hey, you're f***ing gay". You: "thanks man! you too"

2.) "fag" You: "haha yuppers! :grin:"

Basically anything that can throw them off. Anyone have any other suggestions.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to respond to the "dyke" etc. comments with a "yup" or "correct" and a straight face. It throws them for a second, and gives me time to get talking to someone else or to move away.

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a really shy guy, so I just ignore them and let them continue. =(

4. Eric

I usually throw in something completely random to throw people off and leave them with a kind of "what just happened" feeling, something that they can't really respond to.

For example, "don't talk to me until you get rid of that B.O." or "when are you going to buy a toothbrush" usually works because, well where can you go from there? What is he gonna say, "you stink" ? Yeah, that'd be so original... Anything that plays off of scent usually works real well and makes some people even question their personal hygiene.

I'm only out to one person and when he teases me about it (it's not really homophobic, just playing off of my weaknesses), I usually just shrug it off with a confident 'yes'.

Then again, people usually don't insult me because I can kick most of their asses anyway.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Maddy's and EC057's suggestions are both excellent.

I think the best retort is simply to own it. If you exhibit no shame about being gay, there isn't much they can do.

"You're a fag." "Yup. And your point is?"
    "You take it up the ass" "Yup, and I bet if you tried it, you'd like it too."
    ""That's the faggiest outfit ever." "Thanks, I don't think yours is equally straight, though."

6. TroubledRyan

haha! ya you guys are so right...it's not like there's anything wrong with it! to me anyways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When people say anything I normally ignore them, or give them a huge smile and agree with them...
    I don't ignore them to often though inless I'm already talking to someone and they just kinda blurt it out from my side (god thats so annoying)... so most the time I just give the grin and god I love there expressions :grin:

7. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The sad thing is that I couldn't bring myself to do any of those ... is there anything else? =/

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As you have mentioned, you can ignore it and not let it phase you at all and remain confident and shrug it off.

What I usually do is if someone makes a comment, I just say "yeah, so?" I must admit though that it took me a while to become comfortable enough to say that. :slight_smile:

Remember that the point of all of this is to provoke a reaction that will allow the other person to continue to built up the insults. If you shrug it off, and just take the 'whatever' attitude it will usually do the trick as you don't provide any further ammunition so to speak.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could try just giving them a confused look or a smile and moving on.

10. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll try that. :slight_smile:

11. Totoro

Sometimes when i'm told "You're Gay" Or "You fag" something along those lines... I just tell them that they just want to go out with me (If they are the same sex)

12. starfish

I have a coworker that likes to sneak in little comments about me being gay.

We have a department meeting every week. I planed this out well in advance. I baited him and sure he enough he said something. To witch I responded "For a straight guy you sure seem overly interested in guys screwing other guys". The room went silent and then someone said, "ohhh nice one". All while my coworker set there with a stunned look on his face.

I only wish I had the foresight to commission a painting of the event as it really was my masterpiece.

13. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

If someone says "are you gay/a fag?" just say "no, but enjoy the occasional cock".Never used that but I'm pretty good with comebacks lol

Actually this bully at school made fun of my bi sister and was like "Gabe's sister likes to screw girls hahaha" in front of me and like 5 people and I was like "I don't get it, what's so funny?" and he was like "'Cause your sister's a lesbian" and I said "she gets more pussy than you". He tries to act like we're friends when no one else is around so he didn't say anythiong back he just laughed and walked away.

14. I usually will just go off on someone when they call me a fag. I'll call them an insecure, self-loathing hypocrite. That will usually throw 'em off my trail.

But it gets really shitty when I can't get them to leave me alone. I definitely haven't handled things the best way I could have, but I like to think that I generally do the right thing. There are a lot of pricks where I live, so I have to defend myself almost every day. I guess I'm fine with it now, but I wish people would mind their own damn business.

15. VampConspiracy

I have never had issues from people calling me anything related to sexual orientation - nobody knows, and besides the tangle of psychological acronyms that manifests itself as very emotional fits sometimes, I'm rather ordinary. Nobody even knows that I have a sex drive and a capability of having feelings for members of either sex.

That being said, I have had plenty of words thrown at me, which at one point threw me into berserk. Nowadays, and especially after playing on and even administering game servers, simple words or simplistic retorts don't have much effect (if you don't have a high intellect, your insults are meaningless!). I have two good friends and an apathetic family - in my mind, that's all I need.

16. Connor22

I hate it when people pull the christianity card on me then when I try to explain to them where they are going wrong on that issue nad there was one guy a wee while ago where one guy kept you knowshouting at me about that and how I was going to hell etc so I decided to ignore him then later I saw him sittign with some girls talking so I sat down beside him adn leant over to him thne I wispered in his ear "hello Georgeous"

I have never seen a human being move so fast.

17. xCrazyInsanity

"Are you a boy or a girl"
    "Yes"

"Dyke!"
    "No, sorry. Wrong insult"

"You're gay"
    "No, not quite. And don't flatter yourself"

18. Chandra

Insult: "Homo!"

Retort: "Phobo!"