1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dads&daughters

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by if i had a dime, Jun 23, 2010.

1. if i had a dime

I want to tell my dad that Im gay. The thing is that im afraid that I will break his heart. I have always been a daddy's girl,in fact he cried when he found out I was a girl (i was sopposed to a boy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) How can I tell him that hes little girl loves other girls.
    Thank you in advandce :slight_smile:

2. Spectre

Tell him "Dad, you know how I was supposed to be a boy? Well... you got something close. I'm a lesbian." :slight_smile:

3. Khobra

Khobra Guest

That's kind of the same situation for me, except it's with me and my mom.
    I'm the only boy out of my mom's three children and ever since birth, I've basically been the favored and spoiled child because my mom favored me out of my two sisters. When i told her I was gay, she said she still loves me and nothing would change that.

Sometimes, we forget how strong our parent's love for us is because we fear that our being gay will hurt them. If anything, they may have noticed your attraction to women before and would only be mildly shocked that their thoughts are true.

4. KneeDragger

I would think and hope that your dad would be accepting. I am the father of 3 daughters. There isn't anything any of them could tell me that would stop me from loving them. I might not like what they tell me, but I will love them regardless.

I recently came out to my parents and I had the same fear (and I'm 42, go figure). I was afraid of what my dad would say to me. My dad didn't say much the night I told my parents during a phone call. They live a few states away, so telling them in person was about impossible. My dad called me the next day and said the best thing. He said "When you were born, your mother and I signed up for a life long commitment. This does not change that commitment. You are still our son". I about lost it because my family doesn't publicly express emotion and this was the most "emotional" thing my dad has ever said to me.

If you trust your dad and if he loves you as much as I'm sure he does, he will still love you. He may not like hearing the news, but he will adjust. You've had time to think about this and to become comfortable with it. He won't have that benefit. So give him some time if he doesn't immediately respond in a positive way.

5. concklin

i was thinking of something along those lines. it's kinda like he got a compromise instead of his full wish lol