1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disowning One's Parents...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jay D, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Jay D

How exactly does one disown one's parents?

I've lived with my adoptive parents for 16 years, and I have despised them since I was 10. They treat me like a moron, impose ridiculous sanctions, and do not allow me to express myself properly.

When I go to university in September, I am changing my name (legally) to Jay Dawson. I want nothing to do with them.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think carefully before you do this. It's pretty normal for people to have some pretty stormy times with their parents throughout their late adolescent and teen years, it is part of the normal individuation process. And the sorts of things you're describing, while unpleasant, are pretty common sources of the sort of rancor you've experienced.

I'm not saying your parents are right, or that they aren't unreasonably restrictive, only that they almost certainly believe they're doing the best thing for you to help you turn out as a healthy young adult.

Changing your name as soon as you turn 18 may sound like the right thing, but I would say wait at least until you're finished with your college years. And as far as disowning them... you're 18, so, really, you're free to simply stop talking or interacting with them if you choose. But, as with changing your name, I'd wait. Tell them you need a break, or you want to make your own choices and need some freedom. Most teens who are in your situation find that their relationship does change for the better once they move out of their parent's house and into college.