1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gone Fisin'...For a MAN! HELP!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RAJ Aladdin, Jun 28, 2010.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

So,

Later today (as it is the wee hours of the morning) I will be attending my second University Pride Party, thank you very much. Before I leave I would like to ask YOU lot to give me advice.

Papa Raj is lonely and he's going fishing, only thing is he needs some bait in the form of advice...so...how can Papa Raj catch himself a Marlin? ...

...or a John, or a Bob, Joe, Micha, Kevin, Brian, Lamar, Nick, Henry, Scott, Jimmy, Ramir, ANY MAN!!!!???? LOL!

Laymen terms: I plan to go and meet some great guys at this University Pride Party- but how do I do that? Looking for some great friends and hopefully...someone special :rolle: But HOW do I go about that?

What advice would you give me?

2. Spectre

Be yourself. Be open. Talk to people (if at first you don't succeed, talk to another guy); put yourself out there.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As Spectre mentioned, be yourself and try to be as open as possible. I imagine that you might be nervous at first but try to get to a conversation going with one person first and see how it goes. Start the conversation with a topic that you feel comfortable talking about. Given that it is taking place at the university, the topic of school/university life is a good one to start with. Try to build it up from there. Try to take the cues from the other person too.

If you do strike up a conversation with someone and you enjoy talking with that person, maybe ask him if he would like to join you for a coffee sometime.

Hope this helps a bit!

4. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Okay...how should I approach a dude I'm interested in...?

:confused: :help:

5. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

OMG! I'm getting cold feet!!!

What if a guy who weirds me out tries to get to me?! It happened before!!!

What if I get "outed" by jerks!!!??? What if I see asshole classmates/coursemates who will "out" me to others!!!!!???

6. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Just relax! It can't be that bad! :slight_smile: Don't assume the worst, because that will just add to your nervousness and uneasiness. Why would someone out you to others? I mean if you are attending the University Pride party, you are already putting yourself out there.

If you are interested in someone, or want to strike up a conversation just go up to him and say "hi, how's it going?" and start the conversation with that. Ask him stuff about the University Pride Party, i.e. if he enjoys it, how has he heard about it, etc.... If there is a dance floor, ask him if he likes to dance. Try to find things that are related to the party. Ask him if he is attending the university, in what he is majoring, how long does he have until he finishes uni, etc.... Take it from there.

All of that said, one thing you have to ask yourself is: "If I have the fears of being outed by others, am I ready to attend a University Pride Party?" If you are attending the University Pride Party, you are making a statement and are coming out.

But also, ask yourself and also to calm your own nerves down a bit, "what are the chances that a class mate will see me there?" I have attended university pride parties, and I haven't met one single class mate outside of the venue or inside. If they are not gay, chances are they will not attend it or be near the venue! :wink:

Hope this helps!

7. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

It helps a bunch...thank you both :slight_smile:

With that said, I'm off! Wish me luck :grin:

Off to catch me a Marlin-of-a-man! LOL!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have a great time! Let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok breath....

Remember guys are nervious about being approched just like you are about approching, so don't freak about it.

Be your awsome self and don't put too much pressure on this day. Don't tell yourself that if you don't find a guy here that you'll die alone.

Go with it. Try making eye contact with a guy from across the room first, and let him "catch you" staring at him. He'll know you're interested.

Also if your nervious when you go up to talk to him tell him so. Tell him you get nerviosu talking to cute guys, he'll be flattered.

Good luck out there:thumbsup:

10. george678

Have fun, be yourself and meet new people!