1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to My Mother: A "Let's Fail" for the Ages

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VampConspiracy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. VampConspiracy

It has to be done eventually - especially if I'm going to be living with her for at least the next two years.

First off, some background info. Let's just say that every conversation that I have alone with my mother that has more weight than asking about what's wrong with her computer always devolves into a screaming and crying fight, with me crying, and both of us screaming at each other. Every. Single. [​IMG]ing. Time. Oddly enough, every other time, we can coexist peacefully.

Eventually, she's going to have to know, and barring a miraculous reappearance of my psychologist, it will have to be a one-on-one exchange.

What wouldst thou deau?

2. theJosephDean

Sounds like we have the same relationship with our mothers. I got into a huuuuge fight with mine today (see thread in the coming out board for reference, heh). And it ended with me just saying it in order to shut her up for a few seconds. She seemed to take it well, though, so perhaps yours might, too?

Not saying it's the case every time, but most of my friends mothers and my own are those who get irrational when it comes to arguments, but the smallest emotional admittance sends them into this all-is-forgotten spiral of affection - as if that fixes everything. Meh. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Maybe just tell her one day when you feel her mood is in the right place =/

3. VampConspiracy

...except it never is. Sure, there's the facade, but once I try to offload my feelings...

Things get ugly.

4. Beachboi92

when it comes to relationships like these with parents there is really few you can do. You are very lucky to have a psychologist to talk to about how to handle it. I found with my dad the best thing is confidence, logic and reason, and standing my ground if i wanted to keep myself sane. However i no longer speak to or see him so i might not be the best person to follow on that xD