1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't have the slightest clue what to do?!?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by travelinsoul21, Jul 1, 2010.

1. This is regarding school. I've enrolled at the local college here and am signed up to start this fall for General education with the plan to transfer to another school after a semester or two for Computer Information Systems and then once I get my associates degree I have planned to start working full time while I work towards my bachelors degree. But now I've found out I got into this Graphic Arts program that I've wanted to do since I was 15. It's a 2-year certificate program and I would have to stay here for two years, totally screwing my plans for my degree. I wouldn't get a degree in Graphic Arts, I wouldn't get anything except fulfillment of a dream. I want to go for Computer Information Systems and pursue that, and I know that is the smarter choice, given the circumstances. But when I think about not going for Graphic Arts it makes me so upset because I finally got into it and I've been wanting it for 6-7 years. What should I do?

2. pteen

Well if you dream for the Art Animation class so bad i think you should do it.
    Money won't do you any good if your not happy. And couldn't you just get your degree after the arrt animation class?

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I would suggest the following:

1) Start with the general education
    2) Transfer to complete the Computer Information System programme
    3) Get your Bachelor's Degree (work part time on campus, or off campus)
    4) Graphic Arts programme on the side while you are working full time

If I were you, I would not try to work full time while getting your BA. Even if you are just registered part time or just take a couple of courses per semester to get your BA, it will still be some work. Instead of working full time while trying to get your BA, I would recommend that you work part time and get your BA done first before trying to get into a full time job. Usually, students who work full time, and try to get their BA degree done, either stop working full time or drop out of the programme eventually and don't complete it, even if they are registered part time.

The longer you need to complete the programme, not only will it cost you more, your interest and enthusiasm for it might slowly dissipate. I would suggest that you really inform yourself about all the options of completing your BA, including what courses you need to take, and the amount of work this is going to entail before you make a decision on it. :slight_smile:

I think it would be better if you work on your degree(s) first, and then once you have secured a job, then start looking into enrolling in the Graphic Arts programme. Maybe ask them if you can defer the acceptance into the programme or inform them that you have decided to pursue another option. The things is, you got in, which means that your chances of being admitted again when you re-apply further down the road are good.

4. I'm going to go for my Gen. Ed. and then onto CIS - I've just gotta get over the graphic arts thing. At least for now.