1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An update on a thing called my life

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Whitsy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Whitsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well haven’t been here for awhile so I thought I give youse a bit of an update well first of all recently I finally came to terms with my sexuality and I’m on to the next stage of being proud of who I am but the only thing I’m still worried about is that how my parents going to take it when I finally tell them, I’ve been thinking what will they do, will they throw me out of the house, will they disown me or worse lucky that I’ve been getting some advice from my cousin who is also gay so that’s been good and helpful.

So you see I’m trying to get my life back on track as I’m starting get a lot less afraid of what people are going to think of me and also helping is that I have been trying to cut down or completely stop my drug use and drinking and I have also stop hurting myself like burning and cutting myself so yeah. Woo

2. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Looks like you're on the road to a healthier life. Keep up the positive direction you are taking. Best of everything to you.

3. Whitsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ^Thanks dude

4. Bryan

Sounds like you are doing a lot better, good for you! Just remember, just because you have come to terms with your self, doesnt mean you have to come out to your parents right away. Take your time, and only tell them when your'e ready (After I came out to my self, it took me 4 years to tell my parents). And when you do decide to tell your parents try getting some help from these people: http://www.glnh.org/index2.html They can really help! Anyway, good luck!

5. Jim1454

This is a journey - so don't feel you need to hurry through it. Keep getting comfortable with yourself. It's great that you have a cousin to talk to about it! I'm sure it's no coincidence that feeling better about being gay is happening at the same time that you're also not drinking, doing drugs, or hurting yourself (as much...). Coming to terms with this yourself will provide you with the serenity that you've been looking for.

But don't feel pressured into coming out to anyone else rigth now. Keep on the path that you're on - staying clean and sober. That's the kind of kid that all parents want to have. I bet they'll see the improvement in you and wonder what is driving it - and eventually you'll be able to tell them (when you're ready) that coming to terms with your orientation is what helped you clean up your act. When they know this - it would be a real shame if they reacted poorly to your news.

Everyone is different though - so I can't say for sure. Good luck though.

6. Whitsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the words dudes I’ll give youse a another update in a couple of months

7. Charlie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I have only been on this site a few times due to my friend Becky I would like to say how happy I am to hear you are not hurting yourself anymore. That hurts me to even read you have done this to yourself. Always be proud of yourself, love yourself, stand up for who you are and others will respect you. I wish you an easy transition and I honestly think you should show your parents your post. It's honest and it says volumes of what you have gone through worrying about what they would think of you being gay.

8. D_Alejandro

I'm stuck with the same problem: Telling parents about it.

And it looks like things will stay like that for a long time. I am coming to terms with it and learning how to cope with it as well.

9. tm74

tm74 Guest

Glad to hear you're making progress, my advice would be this, if/when you decide to tell your parents, make sure you have somewhere to go if the worst happens and they do throw you out, whether it's a supportive friends, or a relative who'll support you.

Don't feel under any pressure to come out to your parents yet - I'm not out to mine, and despite not being dependent on them any more I'm still terrified of what they might say or think...

10. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well done for coming out to yourself. Thats a huge step and you deserve a million gold stars. Different people come out in different ways at different speeds. Some do it like a bandaid all at once whilst others take their time and stretch it over years. I'm in the last group. Its up to you what happens next. Just do it in your own time...shucks you have the rest of your life to do it...so no rush.xxxx

11. Pasalacqua

You sound a lot like me.
    ._.

Come out to your parents when you feel you're ready. When you're confident enough in yourself to be able to defend yourself should the worst case happen, and have a place to go should they kick you out.

Congrats on the progress you've made and good luck on the rest of the way.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You've made great progress! Congratulations! When you feel like you want to come out to your parents, PM me. I can help! :slight_smile:

13. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

that is wonderful, eliminating things like drugs and self harm make one not only much healthier, but happier in the end.