1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't believe what I just heard...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by travelinsoul21, Jul 9, 2010.

1. My mom and I were having a conversation about my going to school and wanting to move someplace better. I'm thinking about moving somewhere out west, Colorado, New Mexico, or Arizona, something like that. I was talking about how I wanted someplace where there are things to do, people to meet, etc. Nothing about being gay was said until she drops this "someplace with a gay bar". I was speechless, I don't know whether to be impressed, disgusted, insulted, or what? I'm not sure what she was implying by it. I don't know what she meant to accomplish. Do I need to talk to her somehow? I'm confused?:bang::help:

2. chained butterfly

I think by that saying she wanted you to tell her, "im gay mom." That and she already knows .. :slight_smile:

3. I'm already out to my mom...

4. It was just entirely random and out of the blue

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then she's trying to casually say that she recognizes you're gay and that you need certain things in your ilfe. I'd say it's, indirectly, a supportive statement.

6. Okay. It didn't come off as derogatory or hateful. It was just really, really weird. Really weird.

7. george678

I think if she already knows then she is just trying to be nice and make you feel happy.

8. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Yeah i think it was more of her way of trying to understand. Maybe not the most tactful way but at least she is making an effort to try and understand some differences in your life.

9. nickmc

Yay for encouraging mums! :thumbsup:

10. Eleanor Rigby

I think that she tried to show you she is supportive and that it's something you can bring casualy in a conversation with her if you what too. It was just her way to tell you "You're gay, I'm fine with it." And I understand it felt weird to her your mum casualy mentionning gay bars in a conversation, but I think it's a good thing :slight_smile: Right now it feels weird, but both of you are going to get more comfortable with the fact that she knows, maybe in a few time you'll be able to have heart to heart conversation with your mum about you sexuality.

11. concklin

like Eleanor said, this is the beginning of you and your mom being comfortable with discussing it. i came out to my parents 4 years ago. neither of us talked about it for a while (still haven't with my mom) but my dad would sometimes bring it up, and i'd feel really weird talking about it with him. then after a while and a few more times of him bringing something up that related to me being gay, i'm at the point now where i feel pretty comfortable talking with him about that stuff.

and once you get to that point with your mom, it will feel great.

12. That's kinda what I thought, but the confirmation is definitely appreciated!