1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling odd

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by travelinsoul21, Jul 11, 2010.

1. I have the best friend in the entire world. She's great, funny, personable, well quite frankly, she's amazing. We can have fun doing anything, I love her 3 year old daughter, I like who I am when I'm around her, she's open, and accepting of me, and I could go on and on. But I have to admit this, if I was going to be with a woman, she would be the one I would want to be with. I'm very much attracted to her. And I have been for quite a while. Last night we went to the park for the delayed 4th of july fireworks and I was sitting there with her and it was just nice, and how I could get used to this. (i've been feeling this way for a while) And it's not so much sexual as just I love everything about her, I've been there for her through breakups, she's cried on my shoulder I've cried on hers, we've stayed up all night on the phone. But I feel really weird walking around knowing that I'm gay but if I was going to live a straight life she would be the one. Am I not as gay as I thought I was? After all this thought and time and tears and worry I've had in deciding I'm gay, it's weird to go back & question that.:confused:

Has this happened to other people? What did you do? What do i do?

2. ***And I feel weird for even admitting all of the above***

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, it has happened to me three times: once when I first entered puberty at ten and again at age twelve and again recently with my best friend. :lol:

It isn't worth it to worry over it. :slight_smile:

4. Sooooo what do I do. Do I ignore it? The main thing is that I don't want to ruin a good thing with my best friend

5. I mean, I know I'm sexually attracted to men. And I find some women to be attractive. But with her, it's not the same feeling...

6. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My current best friend knows. Don't worry about it. She knows that you're interested in men and she's your best friend, of course you'll feel close. :slight_smile:

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Although you might be feeling a bit weird at the moment, it might actually help you to figure out as to what is happening.

Sexual identities are fluid and there is a possibility that maybe you swing both ways, which is totally fine. Sometimes it takes a while for us to figure all of our feelings out. A lot of people have straight relationships before they figure out that maybe they have some feelings for the same sex. If you feel a physical attraction to her, then I think it is something worth exploring more. Maybe try figuring out if you feel this way all the time you're around her or if it is just during particular moments.

That said, saying that

it sounds like that you do have a really close emotional bond with her, which is really awesome. That bond that you do have with her could very well be part of the explanation for the feelings that you do have for her. If you look at some of the stuff you have been going through lately, it is understandable that you might feel a much closer bond with her. Maybe she is a constant in your life at the moment which can be really powerful. Sometimes, we form such close emotional bonds with others where the lines between the different types of attractions become blurred. With time you will figure it out.

Try to explore your feelings more and try to understand them better. Every time you do spend time with her, try to take note of all the feelings that you do have for her.

If you can, maybe talk with a friend, or with a counselor about it, just so that you can hear yourself speaking/thinking out loud about it. If that is not an option, you could also call a LGBT help line, and just ask with whom you are talking to that you need to chat/talk to figure something out and you just want them to listen. Maybe hearing yourself talking about it, you might come to a better understanding of what all the feelings mean.

Hope this helps a bit!

8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To add to the above:

One more reason, why you should talk with someone and try to figure out what is happening. :slight_smile:

I wouldn't ignore it, because ignoring it and not dealing with it or trying to place it on the back burner in the hopes that it will just fade away could make it even worse down the road. The more you don't talk about your feelings or try to understand them the more powerful they can become. She is your best friend, you want to make sure that you can keep that friendship but also that you come to an understanding of your own feelings. (*hug*)

9. It does help, thank you very much. I do have a strong emotional bond with her, because we've dealt with alot through the times we've known each other. How can I explore my feeling more without coming to her and saying, I'm attracted to you? Because I don't know how that would go. And I'm not ready for that just yet. But I've noticed that she has been asking me to do things more often that include her daughter. And we are planning a trip out of state next year. How do I figure out more without exposing myself to her, something I'm not ready to do yet, given the circumstances?

10. Who should I talk to? Beyond EC?

11. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

You can explore your feelings by taking a step back from time to time and asking yourself:

What do I feel for her during certain situations?
    Is there a difference in the feelings?
    Do I have stronger feelings during the time she says certain things, or during times when I go through certain things myself? Or are the feelings constantly there?

You don't have to talk to her or let her know that you do have certain feelings for her at this stage. But when you do get the feelings that you do have, take note of them and then just try to understand them by asking yourself deeper questions about these feelings. In trying to understand your feelings, try to compare the different feelings that you have.

Is there a counselor you can talk to? What about a friend? If these are not possibilities, maybe try calling a LGBT help line or support line. The important thing is that you talk about your feelings and listen to yourself. Doing that can really help you in understanding them better. Even if you don't get a lot of feedback but just knowing that someone is listening to you in a non-judgmental way can really help in making better sense of them. Sometimes, you will get a question asked, which will lead you to think about something you might not have considered before or at least not to the depth that is perhaps required.

(*hug*)

12. I've been thinking about going to a counselor somewhere. And I'll think about it and see what I can come up with

13. I'm just really confused about the whole thing...

14. We went to a movie tonight with her daughter (just as friends, of course) And it was just amazing. Her daughter is three and we were standing in line and her daughter was holding my hand and hers, and I was thinking I could get used to this...I liked the way it felt there and picturing myself as a father to a beautiful little girl.

I'm still not sure what I am feeling though. Am I attracted to her, the idea of her, the idea of fatherhood, or just the idea of being in a close relationship with a guy that I have a close emotional bond to, just like I have a close emotional bond with her, and am I just using her as a surrogate for what i'm really wanting and thus I'm just misplacing my feelings?

Because in a relationship I want three things
    1. close emotional bond
    2. ability to be there for someone and have someone there for me as well
    3. someone who I have things in common with and get along with

And I have all three things with her - plus I want to have kids and I love her daughter

15. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I felt something similar with this girl once. She had a huge crush on me (which I didn't actually realize for a while) and I really liked her a lot. We were living in the same university residence and I would go by her room all the time to chat. I loved talking to her. I even signed up for some stupid course I shouldn't have been taking because she was taking it. Apparently everyone who saw us thought that we liked each other but were both too shy to do anything (actually, she was too shy, I was gay and closetd haha).

Eventually I thought maybe I'm not quite gay and I could actually be her boyfriend or something.

But then I realized what that would involve... she'd want to hold hands, she'd want to kiss, etc... And I thought about that and what it would feel like to do those things. I realized it didn't appeal to me at all, I really didn't like the idea of it.

Well basically I just did nothing and eventually she found a boyfriend and ended up spending more time with him and that was the end of that.

16. Should I actually try and find a boyfriend or something, see how that goes, maybe? Not that it will be easy around here....but I guess it never hurts to try....

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

Looking for someone and perhaps trying to form a deeper connection with a guy, and seeing how you feel or if you form a similar connection (i.e. a physical attraction and an emotional connection) can offer you some clues and would help you in exploring and understanding your feelings better. Yes, it will take time to find the 'right' person but talking with others and trying to form a more deeper and meaningful relationship with another guy could go some ways in helping you to figure things out.

From the things you have mentioned, such as having an emotional bond, having someone who is there for you, you being there for someone, and having some things in common (and whatever they might be) are also all the things that allow for strong friendships to emerge. These are all the things that often times make friendships great and help us fulfill part of our needs.

In trying to look for a guy, and in trying to take a step back and asking yourself, 'what is that I am exactly feeling for her?" and also talking with someone, be it a counselor or another friend, you will find the answers to most, if not all of your questions.

You already have a couple of clues when it comes to having feelings for girls: knowing that kissing and holding hands with a girl doesn't appeal to you. So maybe look at that, would that still hold when you think about your best friend?

As mentioned above, when we form really close emotional bonds with people, sometimes, the lines of emotional bonds and physical attraction become blurry because a person provides us with everything we are looking for in a relationship. It becomes difficult to separate everything because our emotional ties are so strong that they make it difficult for us to take a step back and have a look at what is actually happening. Now, the more you think about it, and the more you look at the clues from your past that you already have, the more you will be able to understand what all of your feelings mean.

But here is another thing for you to consider. A few days ago, you mentioned of really wanting to have a family. In some ways, spending time with her and her daughter is fulfilling your wish and dream of having that. In some ways it fills a void in your life that you have felt for some time now. The filling of that void can in itself be quite powerful because it fulfills you as a person. Your best friend fulfills that void at this point in time, and that alone could very well help to explain what you are feeling for her. But then you have to ask yourself: what would happen if that would stop? Would I still have the same feelings for her? Would I still be able to see myself (possibly) as her boyfriend?

Going out and trying perhaps to date a guy and see how that goes and what kind of feelings and emotions you develop, could perhaps give you bit of a comparison.

Hope this helps a bit! (*hug*)

18. I think maybe spending time around her daughter so looks up to me, likes me, runs to me, maybe does fulfill my need to have a family at this point. But I like that, I really really do. And who knows how long it will be before I'll actually be able to have a family of my own

As far as dating goes, I'm all for it, but I don't know that any people around here are worth dating, and I don't know how to go about finding anyone. I'm almost a shut in when I'm not with my friend....

19. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

I think you are onto something here. It is definitely something to keep in mind and perhaps to talk to someone about and looking further into. :slight_smile:

Well, part of the idea about dating is to get to know someone better, and trying to form a connection or at least determining if there is a potential for a more serious relationship. Dating or trying to get to know someone closer is about trying to find out how strong a connection you can create with someone. Is there a basis on which deeper emotional and physical attractions can be created? Is there a basis for a more meaningful relationship?

I wouldn't approach it from the perspective "I don't know that any people around here are worth dating" because you know what? It might just turn out that you have a great time with someone who is not worth dating at first glance and you two might just connect. :slight_smile:

Yes, it might take a while to find that person with whom you will be able to go on a date. But it is worth trying. If you come to a point where you are interested enough in someone, and want to give it a shot, try it. Trying is half the battle as it were. See, even if the other person says "sorry, I'm not interested" it's okay because you have tried it. But even just asking and perhaps through talking with someone a little bit at first, will give you an idea as to how you feel about other guys and it will provide you with a few more clues and something to compare your different feelings to.

You could try joining a support/social LGBT group or a LGBT social event, if possible. Are there some LGBT related events or social gatherings in your community on a regular basis? If you are comfortable, maybe ask your friend to join you in for extra support.

20. I'll look into it further - although I'm not sure what do look for, seems pretty straight forward to me = I want to be a family but several key things are lacking....

Back to the dating, there is the LGBT Community Center here, but I'm not comfortable enough to go get involved with that just yet - And I'm not sure why, just something about the thought makes me nervous - Aside from the fact that this is all small town life and word gets around

I guess I should go into further detail there

There are 2 gay people I know personally who I know are up there. Neither of them are good at keeping there mouth shut, and they don't know I'm gay. And I'm afraid that I would run into one or both of them and then they would start running their mouths and I would be outed to a bunch of people I'm not ready for yet.