1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out and Depression :L

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Xanz, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Xanz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Basicly im really worried about coming out to my parents as there really homophobic and would probably disown me if i told them :L so i really dont know what to do about it does any one have some advice??
    And all my mates at school always notice im depressed and they always label it down to the fact that i dont have gf but they dont know im gay and so they keep trying to hook me up with people :L and its just gradually getting worse!! Any advice would be very much appreciated!! Thanks!!!

2. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Dude holy shit this is word for word like exactly what I'm going. I've had depression since I was 13 and my friends always try to hook me up. They have also told me they notice that I'm depressed and that they have noticed since I met them when I was 13 (I switched schools in 8th grade). I'm not out to anyone either and my family is homophobic...and racist.

I suggest only come out when you feel ready.

3. Then from where I stand you both have 1 of 2 options - come out now and deal with the aftermath of it - or wait until you are a little older and can stand on your own and then when you come out to them - they don't have anything to hold over you. As far as depression goes, I'm the same way, i'm out to my mom but not my dad who isn't homophobic but definitely will not be thrilled.

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait until you have a safe, accepting and healthy place where you can live before you tell if you think that they would disown you. Coming out to them when they could kick you out and have you living on the streets would be horrible. I think that coming out to friends who would accept you and talk to you about your parents would really help you feel better about the situation. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

5. Xanz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks guys :slight_smile: and i live in england so they have social services who would put me in a foster home :L so atleast i dont need to worry about being homeless... And my depression started when i moved to enlgand and its been getting worse over the last 4 years :L and i think my mates might be but also wrong in the finding a GF for me but i think if i could find i Caring, Loving BF then i might begin to be a bit happier :slight_smile: but as far as i know there are no other gays or bi's in my school :'( so i will just have to w8 till im old enough to find someone amazing!!

6. ascenseur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Xanz,

I live in bedfordshire too - there are great support services, and gay bedfordshire offers counselling/support/help. I'm wary of the linking info at the top, but it comes up on the first result for a google of "gay bedfordshire".
    There's also a Brook centre on Broadway Road in Bedford. I haven't ever been, but I am pretty sure they have a counsellor, if not an LGBT one, come in some days.
    Bedford Social Services also have some support for gay/lesbian/bisexual people, so you may want to email them for some help.

If you do find some useful stuff for gay people in bedfordshire other than what i've stuck above, please let me know. I'm confused about my sexuality, and would really appreciate some help in my local area.

Thanks

Joe

7. Xanz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea i would help u but were not allowed to exchange details and stuff :L and thanks i know about all those services ive just never got any time!!

8. ascenseur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm glad you know.

And I didn't want to exchange personal details - I just wanted an idea of what help there is for gay people in bedford. It's pretty lacking, because if you go through places like social services, there is usually a record of it all, and that's something I don't want to be there.

Good luck, and I do hope that your family understands you and your feelings.

9. Xanz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks i know the resources in Bedford are very limited when it comes to stuff like this!! it quite annoying!!

10. look... I can guarantee you this: it won't be easy, but your parents will accept your decision in time

11. george678

Gay resources in Bedfordshire schools or in any school in Britain is limited.

12. ascenseur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    True.

Perhaps that's something we could petition to change? Sex Ed lessons are purely hetrosexual, why don't they at least give advice for hetro-/homo-sexual relationships, and where to go. It would be nice to also see advice about bisexual support.

Especially during puberty, where we all start changing, and discovering our true sexuality.

Back to the original topic:
    What makes you think your parents would disown you, Xanz? You said they were homophobic, to what extent?

#12 ascenseur, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  13. Xanz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea i think that would be a great idea!! It would make things so much easier!!