1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay, let's cut the BS and say it how it is/ Coming out Letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blankpaper, Jul 13, 2010.

1. blankpaper

A couple days ago I posted something about how I wasn't sure if I was asexual or bi because I really didn't like the idea of sex and I was still clinging to the idea of liking guys BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Anyway, I thought REALLY hard about this for the past two days. The more and more I thought about it the more I realized that It's not that I'm asexual but I think that my mind was overreacting to the fact that I am gay. Yep, you heard it: GAY. My mind kinda went "oh shit no! You're not gay, you, you just don't like sex at all! Phew.... no more problems!" Once I made myself realize that I could never have a real relationship with a guy (just picturing a guy naked makes me want to curl up in a little ball in the corner of my room) truthfully and honestly, it opened up to "wow girls are pretty great arn't they?" So all in all a good couple of days for me! But even when I was struggling I was planning on sending a letter to my friend. After I had my mind explosion of insight I sat down and wrote it and I was wondering if I could get some opinions?

Hey ______,
    I just left for the airport [I'm leaving for europe soon] and I wanted to send you an e-mail before I left so that we could stay connected and such : ) Anywho, I hope that you, Friend A, Friend B and me can all get together after I get back!

Okay so there is actually another reason behind this e-mail. It’s kinda hard to say so I hope you can understand. And I’m sorry for trying to tell you this important thing through an e-mail while I’m flying away from here as fast as I can. I’m just a wimp like that ^^. So………………………………………………… yea, I guess there is no other thing to do than just say it flat out: I’m gay. After all the stuff that has swirled around in my head since seventh grade and before, it all comes down to this one basic fact.
    Although it may seem like I am really outgoing at school the fact is I’m super shy; telling someone, even you, that I’m gay freaks me out so much. I’ve never felt more vulnerable in my life but keeping this a secret for the almost six years since I became aware something was diffrent is driving me stir crazy. I hope that you accept this part of me because it has been a part of me since we first met. I’m still me and I’ve always been this way, I’m just letting you in on the secret once and for all.
    You may have noticed that for the last couple months of school I was quite edgy, withdrawn and harsher than normal. I felt like I was giving up and becoming the person that I knew I wasn’t. It hurt a lot and, you know me, giving into other people/societies expectations is something I vehemently refuse. With this letter I hope to bring back the happiness that comes with being who I am. It may take a while but at least it has started.
    So, for now, I also hope that you would respect my choice to keep this quite. Even from ________! Although I have mostly come to terms with who I am and can probably handle anything that gets thrown at me because of coming out, I am scared of losing or wrecking the friendships I have with certain people.
    Thank you for being a good friend. I hope we can still hang out before school starts,

ME!

Thanks to everyone who responds!!!

2. titaniumCloset

Sorrry I'm really confused, you said: I'M GAY!

And then, "Once I made myself realize that I could never have a real relationship with a guy (just picturing a guy naked makes me want to curl up in a little ball in the corner of my room) truthfully and honestly, it opened up to "wow girls are pretty great arn't they?" So all in all a good couple of days for me!"

How are you gay, but you are scared of a naked guy and want a relationship with a female? So did you realize you're straight? Have you sent that coming out letter yet? Willing to help, just confused.

3. blankpaper

I'm a girl. lol using gay as a blanket term

4. adam88

Lol, oh the stuff we cling to on the hopes that we're really straight. :slight_smile: Way to go getting that out! Do you feel better?

5. titaniumCloset

Lol didn't notice you were a girl XD

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is a good letter.

I only really have one suggestion, that perhaps if you feel like you could you write something like if you have any questions feel free to ask or something like that just so that she feels she can talk about it with you, otherwise sometimes it becomes like a taboo subject.

Congratulations though :slight_smile:

7. blankpaper

I feel so much better! I mean I think it'll still take some getting used to but I feel so relieved!! I will definitely make some changes in the letter, I'm bad with explaining myself so adding a sentence saying that my friend can contact me with questions might help drag me out of hiding LOL I almost want to send the email soon than I had planned but I don't know if I am that brave!