1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know why people should join GSA.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Jul 19, 2010.

1. notquitebutch

I mean, that I'm leading it this year. I'm trying to make posters and commercials. I just don't know what to actually PUT on them.

Example, I'm making this video. It's a cheesy silent film that will be used as a commercial in the morning;

“Hey, want hang out after school?”

“I’d love to! But I can’t, I’m going to a GSA meeting!”

“A what meeting?”

“A GSA meeting! The Gay Straight Alliance!”

“…>:C”

“?”

“You never told me you were gay!”

“I’m not gay; you don’t have to be gay to join!” “It is the gay STRAIGHT Alliance, you know!”

“Oh… well, that’s true. But why would you join the GSA?”

“REASONS HERE :grin:

“Wow, that sounds cool! Mind if I tag along?

“Of course not! The GSA always welcomes new members!”

“Hooray!’

I don't know what to fill in for the reasons here section, and my other GSA members aren't helping much. Any suggestions? I'm lost.

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well what do you do at your GSA club?

Do you discuss LGBT rights? Is it just a place to hang out?
    You have to tell people what exactly you guys DO in GSA.

The problem with the GSA in my school was that it was run by the anime kids. Pretty much everyone in the GSA at my high school was just a straight anime fanboy. The only thing they did every year was the day of silence. Every poster they produced had anime stuff on it and it's all they wanted to talk about.

What are things you would look for in your GSA?
    Personally if I'm a closeted high school student, I probably wouldn't want to join it anyways. The only way you'll get people to go is if you make it less about being gay and more about being accepting of everyone.

3. notquitebutch

To be honest, I have no idea. The leaders last year did nothing, and I'm taking over because they just graduated. I want to make a difference this year.

Luckily, the anime kids go to anime club, japanese club, or Dungeons+Dragons, so I'm safe there.

I basically just want to promote equality around the school, talk about gay issues/news, have events like DoS and ally week. We also plan on having teacher workshops and having past students talk about their experiences at the school and what teachers can do to make them better for other LGBT kids. Of course, we'll have hangout meets, but only 1/4 a month. Hangout out gets nothing done.

I just need to... figure out how to put that into a video/poster.