1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I sorta held my ground

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by No One, Jul 20, 2010.

1. No One

My sisters are very religious (like my parents) and yesterday we got in an argument about them not knowing what I believe (about the bible) and somehow it ended with me saying "The bible is not gods word, it was written by man". This of coarse caused the world to explode, and my sisters started yelling about how they were "inspired" by god. I then backed down. I feel like no matter what I do, I am never going to be able to have my own beliefs.

2. hiddendc4

Just hold your head up and it will be fine. I would say that you already have your own beliefs if you fought back the way you did. (*hug*)

3. Eric

It's a common thing to argue about religion in my family. My cousin and I share a disbelief in any deity but talking about it only starts an argument. The best thing to do is believe whatever you want and not try to convince them they're wrong or you're right. I respect others' views about religion and I expect the same from them. Just tell them next time that you believe what you believe and nothing will change that any time soon.

It's funny how religion is supposed to unify the people and preach peace when it only serves as a great divider.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you on standing your ground! :thumbsup:

It may feel like you can't have your own beliefs, or like you'll never be able to, but I assure you that once you're out on your own you will be free to believe in whatever you want. I would wager a guess it is difficult for parents when they discover that their children don't necessarily share the same views, and they may never fully accept that fact. But the point is: unless they hook up a tube to your brain and program you to be a miniature version of whatever they want you to be, then there will always be a difference in viewpoints between them and you.

While arguing isn't exactly the best thing to do about these differences, I do think you behaved admirably in defense of yourself. Backing away from the argument was actually, I feel, the correct thing to do. It would prevent either party involved from saying something they may later regret.

5. concklin

If it's what you feel is true, then those are your beliefs. Just because your own family disagrees with you and will even yell at you for it, doesn't mean you can't have your own beliefs. People disagree on things, even families disagree with eachother. You have your own mind.

6. olides84

You should be proud of the fact that you expressed your beliefs :thumbsup: Sometimes that's all you can do, and you don't want to get into the drama of a debate with loved ones or get into something that might become very emotional. As time goes on, you will become more comfortable with defining and also sharing your beliefs, and even when confronted, have the ability to stay strong and defend your position.