1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying not to sound dramatic (and probably failing) but unsure where else to go

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cameron17, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Cameron17

Hey everyone, first I kinda feel like im cheating a little bit here since I dont post unless I'm after some advice or reassurance but I guess im in no position to give advice atm.

Having a lot of problems atm and have noone to speak about them so who else to come to than EC? (*hug*) I'm gonna throw up all of them at once but dont feel the need to reply to everything, but any advice is a godsend.

Still no change in the coming out situation (still fully closeted) but im feeling more and more like the time is close for me to come out and I want to tell my parents first.

I didnt want to tell them before last week because it was my brothers wedding and (as i told myself) i didn't want to distract well deserved attention from them but now the time has gone I know i was just procrastinating.

Ive been searching myself the past few weeks and i'm kinda coming to the conclusion that the closet is ruining my (social) life and physical and mental health, for the past 3 years or so I have barely left the house because of my anxiety about meeting new people - not that im shy, just that I hate the idea of making friends with someone and not having the courage to tell the truth, I tell myself when I come out to my family and parents then it will all be fine because then I can be out in the open and only people who accept me will befriend me, if that makes sense - and now my parents have told me that they are withdrawing any financial support unless i do somthing before September 1st (and this was kinda unexpected). They have no idea of my struggles and im getting very worried now. (I live with my parents btw)

To top this off, ive been speaking with my parents individually who I noticed have been very akward with one and other and it seems there is a possible breakup on the horizon, which is also VERY unexpected and i'm at a loss of what to do, there is nothing I can do? I keep telling my self if I come out to them it may distract them from there differences but I know it wont last and I don't have the courage anyway.

My dad has been very supsicious and recently spends huge amount of time on websites such as MSN or Omegle/chatroullete which he NEVER was interested in before, he keeps his screen positioned away from anyones view if im around and always logs out of msn before leaving the PC, basically he is hiding things that shouldnt need hiding if it was honest behaviour and it makes me sick to think of what it could be. His reasons for the fallout when I brought it up were very shakey also, I think he tried to drop the bomb on me and hope it was enough to go without explaining the details, basically it went:
    Me - "dad, without spoiling the mood and I dont normally ask things like this, but is something going on between you and mum?"
    him - long silence "there is definatley something, yes."
    goes on to explain that he sick of my mum not taking care of her health (smoking mainly) and that she owes him moeny for debts he recently paid (not a huge amount of money) seems very shakey grounds for a break up to me. when I spoke with my mum she is just angry that they are not speaking and she doesn't know the reason why, but she doesnt expect whats coming... and I cant say a word and it sickens me. its alot to deal with on top of the closet situation.

In summary -

Im now terribly worried about my parents breaking up, I know it will be such a hard blow to my mum and will make life hard, though its no joy now with the atmosphere. I want to come out but I dare not incase of any negative reaction and feel very pressured by the limit set on September, and feel very un-motivated to get a job or go (back) to college while im still in the closet. I dont want to make the atmosphere potantially worse by my comming out but at the same time I feel maybe it will make things all better if I do? So I guess what I'm asking is (apart from just letting off steam), should I or shouldn't I? Is there anything I can do to help stop the upcoming break-up? and What advice on my own health, I hide it very well like most closeted people but I always feel week and I am under weight, probably with my bad eating routines.

Thanks EC and sorry to drop this on you guys/gals.

2. Iniquity

There's probably no easy answer to give you. You're stuck in-between your sanity and the status of your providers. You seem to have a pretty good sense of sensitivity since you're basically putting them before yourself. That's cool, but if your condition deteriorates, then I think it would be time to tell them. I would rather you not try and stop their break-up, because when it comes down to it, it's their issue they have to solve, not yours. You can worry about the right time to come out to them fully, however.

But I think you have to be the judge of that. Anything can conceivably happen by telling them. They might even become more united in support of and for you. In the meantime, I think you should find another motivator until you are ready. It sounds like you're ready, but you're being kind in not pushing yourself to the forefront, ahead of whatever is going on between them. You're going to have to get up and on soon either way since they're giving you a deadline, so my suggestion is do the thing that allows you to get back up and be doing something productive for yourself. If that's going back to college knowing you can be yourself there with no preoccupations, do it. If it's letting them know so you don't live in a prison while you're there, do it. Don't stay stagnant, though. Gather the strength to keep moving if you tell them. But again, I still think you have to be the judge of your next step. You have time, so keep feeling your way around. Be as helpful as possible when the situation warrants it (keep being the son they know and love, and will continue to love and support), and most importantly: don't be afraid to tell them about yourself when you are feeling like you absolutely can't hide it anymore.

I hope that helps a little bit, although it's highly imperfect.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, your parents. Whatever crap they're going through is basically all about them and their relationship. Nothing you do or say is influencing them one way or the other. It may be your parents are waiting for you to leave before they get divorced - at least one of my friends' parents did this. But whether that's the case or no, it's still THEIR thing.

I'd say it's time for a heart-to-heart with them. You appear to be in avoidance mode, and have been for some time. Given that, you might want to go the route of writing out what you want to say, and handing it to them to read. And I'd lay EVERYTHING out on the table. You're gay. Being afraid of coming out has made you a social hermit. You're worried about this impending deadline. And you're worried that they're headed for a split-up once you leave the house.

Write it out. Try not to get too melodramatic, but don't get overly clinical either - this IS affecting you quite a bit, after all. Make sure you try to see things from their point of view, and see if you can enlist their help in coming to grips with it all - being gay, breaking out of your social shell, becoming financially independent. Whatever issues they might be having, I'm sure they'll be willing to pitch in and do what they can to help you out.

Lex

4. Cameron17

Thankyou both it really does help,

even though I know the decision is still mine and nothing has technically changed, you understood perfectly my disjointed story and put it in better words than i myself could and it does help.

I guess you're right, I have been avoiding it and making up excuses to put it off, and the fact that the breakup is not actually my problem does make me feel a little easier about it, because i did feel to some extent it was my place to do something about it, but I see its just for them to sort between themselves.

Your advice is good Lex, but I have tried writing letters before which included all my worries and all I think to myself is that when they read it they will by skeptical and think i'm over-dramatising or looking for attention because I hide it well and im certain they dont suspect i'm having trouble. I was thinking of writing a short note saying simply "I am gay" then letting the questions come from there. Maybe my other problems dont necassarily need talking about since they either cannot be effected or will be solved when I come out.

Iniquity I think you're right, I always wanted to tell my parents first but its difficult as im sure every knows, so going back to college as an openly gay person may help me to come out to them, all that worries me is word getting back to them from someone else (or to any of my current friends).

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IMHO, writing a note that just says "I am gay" sounds more like attention-seeking than a full note explaining your situation.

A long note certainly CAN be read as attention-seeking or melodramatic. But I think that's going to come down to the actual content. Let me take just one part to illustrate that point - them wanting you to "make a move" on September 1st. (I'm not entirely sure what that might entail, but let me just run with it as I see it - you can certainly alter it to fit your particular situation.) If your note read "You're cutting me off in September, and since you're the only people I can count on, I don't know what on earth I'm gonna do", that certainly could be taken that way. But say instead you wrote "You want me to make a move by September 1st. While I wasn't expecting that, now that I think about it, I've decided that that's probably fair. However, considering the position I'm in, it's still a rather frightening prospect for me. Maybe I can sit down with you, and talk about the sort of steps I need to take in order to get myself to a better place." By writing like that, you're setting a tone - one of acceptance, one of maturity, and one where you're enlisting their help as allies. In short, you're coming across as an adult. And when you do that, people are far more likely to treat you as one.

If you think such a note might help, I (and presumably a bunch of us here) would be more than happy to help you draft such a letter.

Lex

6. Cameron17

Sorry for the late reply havn't had the PC in private for a while, and i'll have to keep this short for the same reason.

That would be a great help so when I get chance ill write what I think may be good and post it here for your opinions if thats okay?

and thanks again your support really helps and I dont know when ill have the courage to give it to them :frowning2: