1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by i need help, Jul 22, 2010.

1. i need help

i think i want to join the Navy or the Army like my sister...

but as of now im out on facebook...
    should i go for it anyway if i did i would change it from "men" "no answer" or just hide it form every one...

should i go for it or not...and opinion either way do it, dont, or army or navy???

2. Walolas

I will leave the choice of the branch of the armed forces you want to enter up to you but I would say since your out anyways why try and hide it. DADT from my understanding is on its way out the door so just go and be honest with whatever questions are asked. If the government doesn't want you for your sexual orientation they got their own issues they gotta work through fast. I would say try out, if they say no because of DADT, wait till it is repealed and then reapply.

3. i need help

that makes a lot of sense, thank you...dont bring it up but be honest if they ask...but if it comes up after would i get dishonorable discharge or just booted?

4. titaniumCloset

As a gay person who also tried to join the military (USMC & Army), I would say do not join if you are already out. When joining, you sign a form saying you won't be in any kind of homosexual relationship, try to get a gay marriage, etc. If you say you're gay in the recruiting office, they will show you the door in .05 seconds. You will have to be in the closet for your entire enlistment, 4-6 years. In the age we are, it is our time to learn our "pimping skills" you could say. Everyone else has been dating (hetero) for years and most gay people are just coming out and need to kind of relearn how to date. You will be 25+ by the time you get out of the service, just something to think about.

If you are interested in serving your country but don't want to be denied for being gay, contemplate being a police officer. I am working towards finishing my schooling and then I will be applying to be a police officer and I won't have to hide my relationships.

5. titaniumCloset

If you were to get in the Navy and then they found out you were gay, it would be a General Discharge - it's neither an honorable or a dishonorable, just something in the middle.

6. Adam

I will be going to my Navy recruiter in the next few days hopefully :slight_smile:
    I removed everything gay related from my facebook and other online accounts, because I do not want to risk it at all! that's even why I removed all my info from this profile like a month ago.
    The rules still around so you got to hide it until it is repealed. You don't know how long it will take either.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a friend who was out on Facebook and Myspace, was out almost completely in college, had a long-term boyfriend that he lived with for over a year.

He went into the navy and is now a lieutenant and a jet pilot. Apparently there are a lot of poofters in his squadron, and his CO is also a poofter. It's a rather open secret among most everyone.

I have another friend who took the ASVAB in high school just to get out of class (he had no interest in the armed forces). He apparently got one of the highest scores in the state that year. They pestered him month after month, incessantly, for years. He kept telling them he was gay and had been in a relationship, and the recruiter said "Well, we have don't ask, don't tell now, so that isn't a problem."

On the other hand, I have a friend who was kicked out because a librarian at a base library saw him looking at gay.com on a library computer and turned him in for "gay activity."

So honestly, I think it depends on your value to them, your recruiter and CO, and so forth.

8. titaniumCloset

The recruiter want's their numbers. Most places require 2 new recruits per month per recruiter. So if you tell them over the phone "I'm gay, leave me alone", they can just keep that to themselves and never tell anyone. It also depends on the branch.

I'd say the acceptance level is like this from lowest to highest: Marine Corps, Army, Air Force, Navy.

9. i need help

thank you all...i have been talking to a friend that is in the navy...and my sister is in the army she would rather see me go army but told me that she is behind me no mater what and that if i want to do it go for it...and my friend said that its not all that bad so all in all when she is home on the 6 we are gonna go talk to the recruiters...really pumped...

10. Walolas

Good to hear you came to a conclusion! Good luck with the recruiters! :thumbsup:

11. starfish

The answer here is it depends. I have known several straight and gay people who are in the service and my brother was in the Navy.

I have 1 friend that is in the Marines and he tells me that at his base officers actively go to the gay clubs looking for Marines there. Another straight friend who was a Marine is opposed to DADT because he fells that it bread distrust. He said if you could not trust your fellow Marines to know that you are gay how could you trust them to have your back? I know a couple of guys in the Army and it is an open secret. I been told stories about Air Force guys there were completely open and would bring their partners to social events, and I've heard about others who had to remain completely closeted. My bother was in the Submarine service and he told me that he served with gay guys. He said it really wasn't a big deal, no one thought twice about it.

So really you have the be comfortable with all possibilities. Even if DADT was repealed tomorrow attitudes don't change over night. So you would still need to be prepared for that.