1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I gone backwards...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SailingKoala, Jul 23, 2010.

1. SailingKoala

Hi EC,

Longtime since I have posted anything or really felt I need outside advice..

So here it is..

Since I was last here I have moved into my own place with my BF of over a year getting a new job was the start of all this and it meant we moved about 100miles from where we were and away from all our friends. So new home is great bf is great although struggling to find a new job which means money is very tight. So we havent really been able to go out and meet new friends in the local area... but all that isnt my problem. I know when I applied for my job I ticked Gay on my application form - so I got my job with my employers knowing my sexuallity. I am in a job I really enjoy and it is a career I have been in since i left school so happy - the work gives me a sense of achievement so great. But the other people I work with day in day out arent employed by the same company but I have to work with them all the time and I know they dont know I am gay - why should they need to know it doesnt effect them I keep saying to myself.. but I hear there homophobic jokes and insults/ Banter and I feel sad as if I am hiding again - plus I am sure a couple of these staff i have to work with would be totally different with me if they new i was gay - not in a good way. these worries and thoughts get to me because I suddenly think I shouldnt have to hide myself, but also know that if people knew my job would suddenly get so much harder to do and the whole place and job would have a horrible atmosphere - yet it sometimes feels like that anyway asI feel I am hiding myself... Sorry to ramble on just not sure why I feel like this and what to do / how to handle it..

:confused:

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they don't need to know, then don't tell them. What I'd do is just dont say anything, dont make a big deal of it. then when something comes up where you have to talk about relationships or something, just say it casually like you thought they knew all along. They're likely to be understanding if you act confident. And chances are they wont change how they act around you.