1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i tell my roommate that i may be gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by connormac516, Jul 23, 2010.

1. connormac516

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So im going to college in the fall and i dont know if i should tell them that i am questioning my sexuality?? I dont want to scare them but i dont want to hide myself either. Also im not sure if im gay or not im just starting to find myself.

2. RaRa

If he's going to be living with you, in my opinion he deserves to know.

Just tell him you're not straight, and you're trying to figure it out and it would be cool if he could understand. Most people in college don't give a shit anyway, so you have nothing to worry about. =)

#2 RaRa, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. Walolas

I would say wait until you find yourself. Otherwise it would be akward for someone else to tell him cause you were lost (bad joke lol).

Anyways, I stand by you should probably wait until you know 100%. However don't hide yourself from them and just act like you would regardless of them. If they ask you if your gay or not and you still don't know tell them the truth and say "I'm still figuring that out."

Once you know however you should probably tell them so they won't be shocked to walk in on you and another guy if you happen to bring one home one night =)

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, you don't need to tell anyone anything that you don't want to. Secondly, give yourself some time so you can figure out who you are.

Don't rush into anything. Just take your time and figure yourself out, when you're sure of your sexuality and you wish to tell your roommate, then do so. Become good friends with him first and try to figure out how he feels about LGBT people; if he's supportive and whatnot, then tell him. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

6. BudderMC

I'm in the same boat as you, OP.

The way I see it is nobody needs to know about who/what you are until you know first. So like everyone else said, I'm holding off.

I've been talking with my roommate though and he seems like a cool guy, so I feel like if I came to a conclusion and wanted to let him know he'd be cool with it.

Just my two cents. There's no point in adding extra stress on yourslef by telling other people when your plate is already stacked trying to find your identity.

7. Shevanel

I would definitely say wait, not only for everything everyone else has already said, but you don't want to give him the idea that you want him to help figure out your sexuality by experimenting because that could obviously freak him out.

Definitely wait till you know yourself for sure anyway.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok I was approched by a guest and hit ok when I wasn't done.

You should tell him, but do it when you are ready,. If you feel waiting until he knows you better before then wait, if you want to get it off your chest right off the bat then do it. Whichever you're more comfortable with

9. Iniquity

I'm directly in the same situation at the moment as you, OP. I say wait until you're ready if you are ready to let other people know. If that takes time, then let it. Be sure beforehand. Then be sure he's the person you want to let know as well.

10. george678

Wait until you have found yourself.

11. TeddyJavier

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think you need to tell him anything. It's not really his business.
    I mean, does he have to tell you he's straight?

12. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My personal opinion - you don't need to know 100%. I mean, I don't know 100%, only that I don't fit into boxes/labels/categories/whatever, but when people ask me, my response is "I don't know exactly what I am". That way, you're both being honest and relieving yourself of the pressure of staying in the closet.

However, it's up to you if you tell people. If you don't feel right about coming out, don't.

13. brian105

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you feel comfortable telling him then you should. You're not obligated to though. I had 4 college roommates. The first one I met told me right away he was gay. Which was lucky on my part because I was as well. The second one I met was straight but he was super friendly that I didn't have to hide anything. And the Third roommate I don't think he ever knew, but he was never there soooo.... I'd say feel completely comfortable in your decision "IF" you want to tell.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say it'll depend on how the situation pans out. Some roommates end up being pretty buddy-buddy, and if that's the case, then yeah - feel free to tell him. But others end up simply being "two people sharing the same living space". No real bonding going on. And if that's the case, it doesn't really seem necessary to let him know.

Lex

15. xequar

Yes, period. It'll be your space too, so you should be free to be you.

16. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you know your roomate? I would at least wait until you meet the person and roughly gauge how accepting they might be.

When you're just coming out you need people that are supporting, otherwise it could scare you back in the closet.

17. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

I guess I'm in a bit of a different boat than you, because I'm sure. But I haven't been completely out with every one of my friends from high school. So I'm not exactly always comfortable with being myself. So it'll be different meeting someone and being honest with them.

I think my plan is just to get to know my roommate and then mention it after the first week or so. If he asks, I have no idea what I'm gonna say. Yikes. I better figure that out.

18. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I agree with Lex, your roommate is just a random stranger that you happen to share a room with. If you end up being friends then great, but most roommates don't end up being close friends. You just need to be able to live together.

You have no obligation to tell your roommate you're gay. If he ends up finding out because he's heard through someone else or you have a guy over, you still have no obligation to talk about it. If he's homophobic you have every right to take it to the university.

Just be yourself and do what you want.

19. I don't think it's really your roommate's business unless you guys become friends or if you're bringing people back to the room.