1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asexuality?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zec24, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Zec24

What are your guys thoughts on this? And by asexuality I mean that you could have a relationship with someone, but it would never be a sexual one. From what I understand there are varying levels of asexuality. When I first started to question my sexuality I thought I was asexual, but with a homo-asexual tendency. I feel like I'm starting to come back around to feeling that way again. The problem is I don't want to, but at the same time I realize I can't force myself into a sexual relationship possibly hurting the other person and myself. If you guys thing pickings are slim in the LGBT community, you should see the homo-asexual community.:lol:

2. I think it's a double-edge sword type of deal. Sometimes I think it would be great to be asexual and not have to worry about anything that comes along with homosexuality, but then I'm glad I'm not because sex is too awesome regardless of who it's with haha.

3. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

LOL, I feel sort of the same way you felt... :confused:

I wouldn't have sex with just anyone =[

4. Oh maybe that's just me then :confused: LOL

5. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

heh, maybe I'm just picky... but I guess I don't care for sex as much as cuddling and stuff, and I would only do it with the perfect person <3

6. Well it's a good thing you aren't asexual then or you'd never get that perfect person

7. surfrboykai

could it stem from you being way scared to come out of the closet? like, i think it might not be asexualit. granted, i don't know you well, but i would totally dig the chance to! i hope we can help work you through this!

8. Zec24

I agree with Bvtjm116, it would have to be someone special for me to consider having sex. I've just never felt the need to, not that I'd say no to it if I felt it was right. And yes, it may be because I'm still really in the closet and I'm just not comfortable with myself yet. Its one of the biggest reasons why I'm still questioning my sexuality. I'm not sure I could have sex with a woman. I'm totally turned off to the idea with a man.

Again, its going to take the right person I guess.

9. This is gonna sound worse than I mean it to, but you'll never really know for certain till you try. This isn't to say to go out and find a random girl have sex with her, find a guy and have sex with him and compare notes. Like you said you want that special person, but when it happens you'll know for sure. So who knows, once you do find that special person you'll find out.

#9 Midnight Angel, Sep 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007
  10. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I guess I feel sort of the same as you... I've never felt the need to have sex with another person... not that I don't need release... just not with a person... :confused: unless I really liked them but yea I like guys though mostly, but I'd only do it with them if they wanted it just cause I'd love them <3

11. Zec24

No, Emperor, it doesn't sound bad, and I've heard the idea mentioned before about trying both a guy and a girl and seeing which one you like best. I don't think that ideas for me, but as to the knowing when I find the right person, I guess you're right.

I just thought at 21 I should have found someone by now, but I guess I'm still relatively young. Or I could be well on my way to being the 40 Year Old Virgin, Steve Carrol's(sp) female counterpart.

12. sblvd06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not only do I not believe it, but I think it's redundant. I think that the people who call themselves asexual have been traumatized about sex somehow, or just have extreme self-control. I also think that it's a lot easier for females to call themselves asexual than it is for males.

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Asexuality... what a puzzle of a topic. It's easy to see why the concept of asexuality would appeal to almost anyone at some point or another in their lives, regardless of their actual sexuality. I'm not entirely certain that true asexuality exists in people, except maybe in very extreme, mentally-underdeveloped persons.

It would be nice to think that one could declare oneself asexual for several reasons. Firstly, if you were simply asexual, there'd be no need to answer to people who make accusations that's you aren't straight, giving you something else to say to someone than a simple "yes" or "no" (or denial) when the question of sexuality comes up. Another benefit is that there'd be no need (or desire?) for a partner, no constant subconscious eye-roving to scout out the nearest eligible piece of meat.

Overall, it is kind of an inidividualistic ideal that one might be sexually independent without succumbing to the typically-inevitable temptation of the most primal thing mature humans can't help but partake in: sex.

I wonder how much this social idealism overshadows the actual frequency of asexuality (or lack thereof)....

14. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I actually thought of myself as asexual a while ago because I couldn't understand why 'it' hadn't happened yet & why I felt awkward & uneasy around guys. I thought that maybe I would be more comfortable in a relationship if there was no sexual element involved.

Although now, I believe I would be comfortable to be in a sexual relationship with a female, I still wonder if I am asexual at times. I go through periods of looking forward to being with someone, but then apprehension takes over because it really is a fear of the unknown, having not been with anyone before.

So I definately see where you are coming from, & I would like to think I find someone special to disprove these feelings though.

... I fear becoming the 40 Year Old Virgin too....:lol:

15. Tom

Tom Guest

im not an asexual type of guy but tbh if i found a guy tht i loved and he didnt want 2 have sex then i wud never pressure him into anythin, id be perfectly happy wth just cuddles, if im in a relationship it would be more to give him what he wants than for me to get what i want

16. CelebrityHead

This might be a lil off-topic, but....
    My English teacher once told our class a story, because she liked gossiping more than teaching, about this guy who she taught a few years ago. He was called 'gay' and was taunted for his entire time at high school. He was teased so often that he was absolutely convinced that he was gay, even though he hadn't had any feelings towards men. He went to uni in another city, came across a gay bar, and decided that he was ready for random sex, I guess. He picked up a guy and went home with him. After that night he was convinced that he was completely straight.

I guess sometimes you don't know 'til you try, and that there are different things that can massively impact on your thoughts of your own sexuality - in this case, taunts. In your case? I don't know, because I don't know you. Maybe something in your life is affecting your views on your sexuality, or asexuality.

17. I think its possible that a person is asexual. they may at some point want to have sex, but overall, they may not feel the need to have sex. I still wonder about my sexuality and for a while i thought i was asexual with gay tendencies and bi tendancies.......omnisexual maybe?!?!:grin: After my first couple experiences (granted with a woman) i didn't really enjoy it. i have yet to be with a guy, so it is still possible that i could be asexual. (god i hope not...lol. :slight_smile:)

18. 24601

Asexuality is something that I've only recently been exposed to (well, in the past few months) but it's something rather close to me. My best friend of many years now has recently realized he's asexual. I don't know if I would be able to believe it without knowing him. To me, not having any sexual desires what-so-ever seems so foreign. But, he's made me see that asexuality is real, and as valid as any other type of sexuality. He just has no desires towards either gender, romantically or physically. For a while I thought it was something that would pass, but I've known him for a long while now, and it hasn't changed at all. It's not that he's unattractive or couldn't date/have sex with someone (of either gender), but he just doesn't want to - it's like a lack of a sex drive. That's my experience on it, anyway. But, yes, asexuality is a very real and valid orientation.

On a side note, there's this cool site (asexuality.org) that offers tshirts and stuff, and one of their things was "53x + m^3 = ∅," which me, being the math geek/overall nerd that I am, found amusing.

19. CelebrityHead

I don't get it :icon_redf

is it sex and me equals square? or nothing? lol

20. 24601

Yeah, sex + me = undefined/empty set.