1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a boyfriend....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by travelinsoul21, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Well....how should I go about it? I'm now known to the LGBT Community here. At least they know of my existence. And I want to start dating. Everyone in my household knows I'm gay, so it wouldn't be all that weird. But idk where to start

2. ANightDude

Well, in my opinion, you can't really go looking for one, otherwise things just won't work out all that well. I know it sucks, but you just have to let it come to you and find you in it's on way. You can put yourself out there, though. Just have to be patient.

3. Rikudo

Pretty much this I've often found that the less you try the easier things are. Just enjoy being single for now and who knows maybe while having fun you'll meet someone.:slight_smile:

4. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Maybe a dating site??? Just a suggestion :slight_smile:

5. Dating site = fail.

Never had any luck with it. I'm going back to the LGBT Center tommorow, maybe i'll meet a cute boy there :slight_smile:

6. 4 seat

Lol I did that!! Apparently, from what I hear, a lot of gay guys (especially masculine guys/those attracted to masculine guys), have trouble finding guys outside of going to gay bars and finding some guy to hook up with. You can't exactly go up to some hot guy you see at the gym and start flirting with him, cuz chances are, they're prob straight and don't wanna be hit on, haha. So, use a dating site where everyone is gay or at least it shows their orientation. It helps, and a lot of guys find other guys on sites like that, and it's legit. It's more common than you think, and people don't think it's very weird anymore. If you're ready, give it a shot.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just don't go looking for it. IT will happen when it happens. It took me like 6 years to realize this. I'm not no longer looking, and while I haven't found one yet, I also only stopped not looking like a month ago. lol. So seriously don't worry just let it happen.

8. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Ask your friends. Since coming out, it seems like every girl I know (and some guys) has that "gay friend who would be perfect for me".

Also, just ask people out for coffee. You say you're well known in the gay community, ask someone out for coffee and see what happens.

9. george678

Don't go looking...one will go to you.
    Try the Gay Youth Corner I'm a member of that.
    The guy I am talking to now is great! and started talking to me through there so you know they'll come to you or you'll see them don't go looking! :wink:

10. I'm not well known, just known.

11. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finding a boyfriend isn't really something you can go shopping for whether online or at a club. If you really want a boyfriend who's going to be committed and loving, then you need to be friends with the person first.

I personally think a great friendship can lead to an ever better relationship. Hit the local gay nightspots and make new friends. Hang out with them from time to time and develop a close bond with one. Take it back to high school, if you will. You make a friend, you go to each others houses to do "homework" (instead you're playing video games), you hang out at movies and park, and then - BOOM! You'll be together, closer than before. Ha ha!

I hope this makes sense. It's just about finding that right guy. It'll take time, but eventually it'll turn out good. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like the others said, you're putting the cart before the horse here.
    Usually, you don't decide you need a boyfriend, and then decide to find someone to fit that part. Instead, you meet people, and then find out that with one of them, you're developing more than just a friendship.

While hooking up with the first guy who's gay and available might be a quick fix, it doesn't tend to make for good relationships beyond the initial hooking up, because there's no guarantee you'll have any similarities beyond being gay and single.

You're doing the right thing, though. Keep going to LGBT community gatherings. Get to know the people there more, and give them the chance to know you. In the end, you'll end up hanging out more and more with some of them. And things tend to just organically develop from there.

13. I'm gonna take the go the LGBT Center/Asking friends route

14. titaniumCloset

Just like any other relationship, meeting friends of friends is usually the best. You probably like your friends and your friends probably like you. If your friends like him, you probably will too. They're at least pre-screened for not being totally weird. That's my plan at least for when I move to SF. I tried the whole online dating thing and it was mostly extremes - either very closeted or very flamboyant. I'm kind of in the middle, stepping out of my closet and not flamboyant, but happy enough to hold hands with a guy in public. I'd say give it a whirl and see how it goes - nothing to lose! Only experience to gain :slight_smile:

15. I mean I've been told that I'm somewhat flamboyant myself. I dont see it. But friends of friends seems to be the way to go

16. starfish

May the wind be at your back.

The number one piece of advise I can off is to understand what you want. Even that is not easy. I only just figured it out last week by pure chance. So you are on the right path, getting out there and interacting with people. Just keep plugging along and eventually it will click into place.

17. pteen

I'll have to agree with them as well.

I don't really think there is anything else i can add here sooo...Good Luck! though

18. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a lot of good advice here. I agree wholeheartedly about the making friends to hang out with first, as that is the best basis for a relationship. Everyone has different experiences and takes away different lessons from them.

Also, dating sites are pretty good as well. A bit embarrassing to mention, but a good way to make friends and stuff that are real people and not just guys at a club or something that are only truly interested in hooking up for the night.