1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Mom's know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 4 seat, Jul 25, 2010.

1. 4 seat

So my extended family is in town for a few days and we went out to dinner with them a few nights ago. My sisters and bro know and my sis hasn't said anything to anyone, which I don't worry about, as long as it doesn't get back to my parents for now.

We were at dinner and my aunt started asking me about girls and turned to my mom and said "such a handsome boy, he has to have a girlfriend, right?" and my mom just sort of half smiled, glanced at me, looked really awkward and kinda looked down while I just said "No, not right now" and changed the subject. Afterwards she sort of just looked at me and

I feel like she knows that I'm gay. Other people have said that their mom knew before they said anything. Do you think she knows? She's pretty much stopped asking me about girls lately anyway, so I feel like she prob knows. Dammit.

2. EssJaye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Do you not want her to know?
    Do you think your mom and aunt
    and other family members talk about it
    in secret?...

3. Walolas

It's possible she coulda figured it out or someone told her. On the other hand she might be getting suspicious with your lack of a girlfriend and just might be close to figureing it out. Otherwise maybe she was just uncomfortable with your extended family asking about her own child's love life and afraid maybe you had a secret lover you were gonna tell about that she didn't know about and would be shocked to learn when the relatives came over and not before hand.

4. ArcaneVerse

Yeah I think some mom's know or at least suspect but if your mom does know I doubt she has a problem with it or she would have brought it up by now.

My mom had an idea for awhile before she confronted me about my sexuality but she wasn't certain.

Is it really such a bad thing if your mom does know your gay? do you have any reason to think she would react badly?

5. paco

paco Guest

yeah. moms have powers. mine knew around the time i figured it out in middle school..although she let me have my space until i told her last year.

no reaction is better than a bad reaction. it means she either knows or suspects but doesnt want to force it, which generally means she doesnt think it's a cardinal sin or something that needs to be remedied.

6. titaniumCloset

She may know or maybe she just wishes you were dating a girl. Either way, I would try not to worry.

But I do agree that mom's usually know or at least subtly suspect. I think my mom suspects it, but I dont know if she actually KNOWS.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She might suspect. But know that if she does, it sounds like she won't have much problem with it. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mother somehow knew since I was young. I'm not particularly masculine or feminine (though if I had to pick one I'd say I'm more masculine.) She said that she just knew. She said that I was different from other children.

9. otc877

otc877 Guest

I feel like moms always know on some subconscious level. It's just a matter of how much they let come to the surface.

It'll be easier for you to come out to her if she's already thinking about it.

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my case, right before I came out, I was sure my mom already strongly suspected. She had stopped mentioning girls. She even talked about “the person you’ll bring home” once. I mean, who uses “person” when talking about that except as a hint? And she defended my lack of girlfriend against my grandparents.
    So while I was still nervous, I was pretty confident I would just confirm a suspicion she already had.

But then, when I came out, it turns out that she had no idea (though I’m taking her at her word for this. She might just have suspected without consciously allowing herself to think about it).
    My brother, on the other hand, had some suspicions, but never gave any hints…

If you’re thinking about coming out to people, this idea is influencing what you do or don’t notice about how they act. Which makes it terribly hard to say whether people are suspecting, or whether you’re just seeing what you want to see.

The good thing is that it doesn’t sound like she’d have a big problem with it necessarily. And it’s probably better to spend your time planning to come out, rather than spending it wondering about what she does or doesn’t suspect.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moms always have a sixth sense and know... but that doesn't mean that denial isn't strongly at work :slight_smile:

I think Filip's experience is a good example of that... as he said, nobody says "person" in the context of "bringing someone home", yet she wasn't consciously aware of it.

In "Prayers for Bobby" (both the book and the movie), Bobby's mother says, in coming to terms with her son's suicide, that she did always know... from the time he was very, very small. Yet she was oblivious and denied it, and when she did find out, she insisted otherwise.

I think a lot of moms may respond the same way... shock, denial, surprise at first, but when they think about it, they realize there were signs there all along.

12. gaius

gaius Guest

In my case, my mum has had a sixth sense about everything in my life, but she was as shocked as everyone else when i came out.

My biggest problem was that after coming out to my mum, we both found it very difficult in situations like the one you describe, because we were both very comfortable with me being gay, and so sometimes we forgot that some people didn't know.

In the end i came out to the rest of my family over time as well, but my advice would be to ask your brother and sister about whether she knows, but don't accuse them off telling her, just ask for their opinion and then take it from there, because chances are that she could feel hurt that you didn't tell her in the first place.

13. theJosephDean

Pfft, mine knew that my boyfriend and I were a couple way before I told her >__> Then again, I did inherit my psychicness from her, so I guess it's good to see where that comes from. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. xequar

Yes, moms know. When I was coming out, I didn't even have to say it, as my mom filled it in for me. Then she was like, of course I knew. I've known since you were 12.

15. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think mothers have a really strong connection with their children, so they kind of pick up on it. I mean, my mother has been making so many hints about my sexuality. She'll often be like "Quinn, when will you bring a boyfriend or girlfriend home?" I would look at her and she'll quickly cover up and say "I mean, girlfriend".

16. Dr Acula

Pretty sure they have a good idea of what goes on. When I came out my parents said it wasn't a complete surprise, so there must have been at least an inkling.

17. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I laughed when I read your post because your mom sounds exactly like my mom.

It used to be that every time I came home from college my mom would ask "do you have a girlfriend?" but about two years ago, she completely changed her language and now asks "do you have a partner?" and began using words like "person" instead of "girl".

I don't know that my mom necessarily thinks I'm gay, I just think that she doesn't want to assume that I'm into girls. I've kind of been dropping subtle hints that I might not be gay so that it's not a complete surprise when I tell her.

18. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like she might.

19. Iniquity

Seems like your mom might have a feeling you are. It came completely out of the blue for my mom even though I was dropping hints before, albeit subtle. But the most important thing is her support for you.

20. xCrazyInsanity

Not all mothers know.
    Mine is totally oblivious.