1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm seriously getting bored of being in the closet.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, Jul 26, 2010.

1. I've been trapped in the closet (with R. Kelly) since February of 2009. I registered here in April of 2009. My coming out progress is virtually non-existent. I'm out on Facebook, but other than that, I'm completely closeted. I don't care if people know. I'll tell them if they ask me and I trust them. My parents haven't asked me in 6+ months. I thought they knew, but I'm starting to think I was wrong. They've asked me about doing drugs more than they've asked me about my sexual orientation. I know I'm only 14, but this just feels... wrong. There's no risk if I come out, but it doesn't matter if I do because I'm young and not very good-looking at all, thus killing my chance at dating before I'm 20 or so. The conflict is just nonexistent. I shouldn't be wishing for drama, but I feel really guilty that millions of other teens can't come out to their parents but I can do it without any problems. This just sucks. It's not soul-crushing, but it isn't enjoyable at all. If anything, it's getting annoying having to monitor what I say when I'm talking to others. I'm fine either way, but I just feel like a big pussy for staying in the closet when I have it so good. The only reason why I think I'm having such a hard time with this process is because my relationship with my mom is shittier than a Honey Bucket. I want to be out, but I don't want it to be a big deal. What's the easiest way to tell my folks without being a melodramatic whore?

:help:

2. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I would sit down and write a letter to them there are some here on ec

3. Eh, I'm not really into writing letter to announce something. I'd prefer dropping it casually during a conversation or something like that. I'd prefer it if they thought that I don't give a shit. I really wouldn't want to come off as a wimp. :slight_smile:

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's called a coming-out, and not a dragging-out for a reason :icon_wink

It's tempting to say that you'll tell people if only they asked, but that's usually not how it works. Most people never ask, and some of them ask, but in case you deny will never ask again. And even if your parents asked multiple times, for better or worse you've probably convinced them you're straight...

Waiting is not a good strategy, because it gives the initiative to other people, and because it means that you're continuously on edge for hints or questions. So you'll have to make a move that cannot be misinterpreted, if you want to get it off your chest.

Now, telling them directly, or writing a letter has the advantage of being concise and direct. You've literally told: "I am gay" and they can't deny that. Taking the hinting route risks them going: "wait, did he just imply he's gay? Naah, I probably just misheard!"
    And I'd doubt the notion that explicitely coming out makes you seem like a wimp. you're just telling them something they need to know.

If you do want to go the casual route, I'd say pick a moment when gay people are on the news. Say, there's an article on DADT in the newspaper, then bring it up in discussion and say: "I'm totally on board with that. If I would ever want to serve in the military, I wouldn't want to hide that I'm gay!". Or if there's a news item on gay marriage on the TV, you could mention: "I do hope that this gets through. I'd eventually want to marry a man too!"

That way you said it without making a big announcement about it, and in no uncertain terms. Of course, that might not stop your parents from being melodramatic about it themselves... And if they want to make it a topic of conversation, then have that conversation. You're not a wimp for answering questions and concerns they might have.

I doubt there are any more subtle methods. If you want them to know, you'll have to work the phrase "I'm gay" (or equivalent) in there somewhere...

5. Blondie

Blondie Guest

You could crack them up with "Hi I like to eat drink and BE MARY!"
    just a thought

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'v always wanted to just say "I'm gay" randomly like at dinner or something with my parents... like act like it's saying "I had a good day today".
    You could try that I suppose. That's the only way to really bring it up and not make a big deal. The fact that you feel the need to say it to them sort of makes it seem like a big deal to other people. So try doing it in a way that's not a big deal.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if I can use a metaphor here, if you want to talk about robot boxing in Venezuela, you can either wait for the conversation to naturally come around to robot boxing in Venezuela, or you can start just talking about robot boxing in Venezuela.

Guess which one is most likely to get that topic discussed. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. Walolas

I wanna go see some robot boxing in Venezuela...

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do robot boxing fans from Venezuela always gotta shove it in your face all the time? :slight_smile:

Lex

10. titaniumCloset

The robot boxing of Venezuela's agenda is trying to taint our youth.

11. :roflmao:

12. x2x2x2x2y2

Yeah, you gotta bring it up. Chances are, unless you're flaming, people won't really ask you.

13. 4 seat

"Hey mom, what's for dinner? Oh, btw, I like cock"

^Every day I get closer to this.

14. Danny19

I feel the same 4 seat.

you just have to find the right time. Thats what im trying to do.

15. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Lex, I took you for less of a bigot. What's next? complaining about our robot boxing lifestyle? :rolle:

Maybe prepare some plausible deniability in case you get weird looks.

"Mom, don't give me that look! I meant coq au vin, of course! Don't you know I like French cooking?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: