1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Housing Solutions For a Troubled Teen

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Foxed, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Foxed

Hey guys, I need some help for a friend of mine, and i'm hoping I can find some here.

He's 16 years old, and lives in New Zealand (I may have spelled that wrong, because I fail), and is being kicked out of the house by his abusive father. His family has rejected him for stupid stupid reasons, and he has no friends near him anymore, because of a stunt his jerk of an ex did.

He's going to a live with a mother of a old friend with him, and she'll take good care of him, but that obviously is not permanent. What could he look into? What are some solutions he could consider?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What part of New Zealand? Even though it's an island, it's a pretty big one. :slight_smile: If he's in Auckland, it would help to know what part, since Auckland itself is pretty enormous, i'm told.

3. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not too sure how things work in New Zealand, but your friend can try his best to win the hearts of his friends back. I'm sure they will be willing to accept that his ex was the culprit to whatever act was committed. He could stay with a friend (or their parents like you mentioned) for a while until he is able to complete his education and/or get a job.
    This would probably be the best solution.
    Of course there might be other places like homeless people shelters and stuff, but the conditions in those places are usually awful (I wish the government would do more for these people) and they're usually full.

Another thing your friend may do is call Children Services. I'm sure New Zealand has some sort of Children Services agency. Because he is still a minor (under 18 or 21) he is eligible to contact Children Services and report his abusive father. They will look into what can be done regarding his father and his shelter arrangement.

I hope all goes well for your friend. Wish him best of luck for me. :slight_smile: