1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food, Water, Diet.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Paragon, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Paragon

Paragon Guest

Ok, I eat a tonne of junk food every day, and I don't exercise.
    I'm by NO means fat AT ALL, but I'm not happy with my weight either.
    I find it strange how I can eat so unhealthily and not gain weight, I'm thankful I guess.

As for the point of this thread, I eat so much junk food because usually the only options to eat are junk, cereal (which I eat lots of), and sandwiches.
    The options are so limited because, aswell as being vegetarian, I don't like many foods.
    I've always been weird like that.
    ANYWAY, I eat all the time, even when I'm not hungry, I just eat, maybe out of boredom, maybe of out just the want to eat, I just eat! AND IT'S SO ANNOYING.
    I read here just now that drinking water can fill your stomach, which I found awesome because I always drink a full bottle a day anyway, and I'm thinking I should just pig out on water whenever I get the urge to eat for no reason.
    I am aware water is supposed to be good for my skin, but my skin is horrible, again, non related issue.

Anyway, I want to break the ridiculous eating habit before I get older because I think it's my developing body that is stopping my eating like I do now from having a negative impact on my health.

Thoughts/advice?

2. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey honey,
    I used to have the exact same problems. I would not eat any meals during the day but when I would get bored I would stack up on junk food like cookies, P&J sandwiches and cereal. I got to the point where I would just eat until I barfed.
    Eating when your bored (or stressed) is a common problem, many people have this issue. Even when they're not hungry, when bored, food is used to provide some sort of satisfaction.

The best way to deal with it is to keep yourself busy. Find a part-time job, find a hobby, find a video game or an amusing book - anything! The less bored you are, the less likely you are to raid your fridge.

Also, you might have heard this a dozen times, but WILLPOWER! Willpower is so dang powerful yet hard to maintain. You need to be able to convince yourself not to eat when you're not hungry. For me, when I was bored, I would allow myself to make a P&J sandwich. I knew that I would regret binge eating, but I did it anyways. I finally gathered up the dusty willpower and encouraged myself to break this horrible habit.
    Be persuasive with yourself.

It's very good that you're acknowledging this problem now and willing to do something to stop it. It will get worse over the years, I can assure you that much.

Yes, for me water is a great source to fill the empty urge to consume food. I always keep a 1.5L water bottle beside me all day, when I get bored and lose my willpower to not eat food, I take a large chug of water first to satisfying myself.
    Water is the best thing you can put in your body. It will keep you hydrated and help your skin. You've mentioned you have horrible skin, don't worry, you're not the only one. I had a horrible case of acne (like most teenagers do), but drinking at least 1.5L of water a day has helped my skin look fresher and cleaner.

However, need you eat a snack, go for fruits and vegetables. I know, I know, you've been told this thousands of times, but I'm telling you, it'll do you wonders! When you need to eat something, have an apple or banana! The healthier you eat the healthier you live.

I wish you the best of luck in trying to fight this nasty habit. It all comes down to you, my dear. Will you be strong enough to convince yourself not to eat unhealthy junk food or will you continue to let this problem escalate?

Good luck!

#2 Bang Bang, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. 4 seat

First off, you should be drinking WAY more than just a full bottle of water a day. That's incredibly important. Yes, water can fill you up. When I go through phases of eating too much, I start every meal or snack by downing a full bottle or large glass of water if I'm in a restaurant (it's annoying as shit to the server, but whatever, tip em more to kip your glass full). Remember that when you're thirsty, that's not just you wanting water, that's your body actually being dehydrated and in NEED of water.

Unless you're injured or you already have a reason not to exercise, you should. It's good for you in a billion ways that you already know and that I won't go into.

Being a vegetarian makes it hard to maintain your weight. Many people think being a vegetarian diet is healthier, but this is usually not true unless you follow a ridiculously strict diet.

As far as not liking things, I could tell you what my dad always told me growing up: "I don't care if you don't like it, don't leave the table until your plate is clean". And I did. Now I like/eat almost everything and I'm not restricted. When my friends say "Hey, do you wanna eat *whatever food*?" I can say sure.

If you just don't like eating healthy food, I have more advice that I've heard: suck it up. If you wanna eat healthy, eat healthy. If you wanna it garbage, eat it, but then see how you feel. I work at PF Chang's and when I first started there, everything was frickin delicious. And I ate their food all the time. And I was exercising a lot, so I didn't necessarily have any weight change, but I felt like SHIT. What you put in definitely matters. Now, every once in awhile I go crazy and eat whatever, but for the most part, I eat fairly healthy and I feel a lot better. Gotta do what you gotta do.

4. Cameron17

Yep I had the same problem and only this month decided to stop it, i'm actually under weight from my bad eating habits and the fact that I hate some foods. But enough was enough I had to make a change or just get worse and worse - and it is difficult but its certainly more than worth it.

I started out by running in my local park or at the gym on a rainy day, but it's so much more motivating in an outdoor setting. Now i'm eating the right foods and exercising regular I'm allready feeling better for it.

My advice to you is to just take controll and do it, let your parents and friends know and get them to help motivate you for it. If they see you eating junk tell them you want them to stop you, ask them to buy healthy foods that you know you like, ask them not to leave things around the house that might tempt you should you see it and keep a bowl of fruit on the table thats just for you.

Good luck and hope you go for it. :slight_smile:

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you're young your metabolism is in high gear, it won't stay that way though. You should try to develop better eatting habits now. it'll be harder later

6. Thomas Miller

Well it is a wonderful topic to discuss. In food we should eat natural food like vegetables and fruits and with it we should drink lot of water in a day. More than 10 glass of water are enough to drink. Diet is also important for health. We should follow a proper diet plan.