1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Answer to the Boyfriend question...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by travelinsoul21, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Well maybe. Kind of.

I've talked to this guy for years, back to before the realization that I was gay. And he's been helpful a number of times during my coming out process. He's said he likes me and if he lived in the same place he would date me. And I always kind of brushed it off until today, when it hit me, he is like the perfect guy. He even mentioned before moving here just so we could be together, and again i brushed it off. He lives a LONG way away. And I haven't talked to him in a while, but i sent him an IM telling him to text me when he gets this, because I want to talk. The question I have is, how can I tell if he is serious about a relationship or if he just wants sex? And also, how can you have a relationship with someone hours and hours away. I couldn't ask him to move here just for me, but if he wanted to, I wouldn't say no.

:help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think one way to find out as to how serious he is, would be to keep talking to him and getting to know him better. As you talk with him, you will come to learn as to whether he is really interested in dating or a relationship. I would take it slow though. Trying to talk with him again is a good start.

People do have online relationships and long distance relationships and for some it works out well. Long distance relationships are a lot of work and involve quite a bit of trust but it is doable. One of my friend is a long distant relationship for the last eight years. He skypes and calls his girlfriend everyday.

However before you enter into an online/long distance relationship, maybe ask yourself if this is what you are looking for.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. Iniquity

If that's what you think you're ready for (gotta be really sure with this), I think you can go ahead and ask how serious he is. Just be ready for any outcome to that question. But inquiring minds want to know, and I think you really care about him and want the best for the both of you (separately or together). I'm not a fan of long distance relationships, but that's only because mine didn't work out. If you can find a way for it to work, more power to you, and that shows even more of a dedication you have. It will require a significantly increased effort to keep things strong.

Hope the conversation goes well.

4. I can't lie its a new thought within the past 24 hours. But I wanna talk to him and see what he wants to do. His work schedule is weird so he's usually online late at night, I'll talk to him then

5. george678

Hope it goes well, the only person who can tell if he want's to have sex is you. Personally I don't think he does just want sex, reason being he said he wanted you to live with him? So maybe he want's a relationship.

6. Well he said he wanted to live in the same place so we could have a relationship and then see where it goes....Still haven't heard back from him...maybe tonight

*fingers crossed*

7. RedState

To be honest, long distance relationships NEVER work in the end...at least that has always been my experience. To truly have a relationship with someone, I believe, you have to not only be in the same place emotionally, but physically as well. If a long distance relationship does work, both people have to be VERY strong. Absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder...sometimes it simply makes the heartache worse.

To your question of is he serious or just wants sex? Well, there is really no sure fire way to answer that one sadly. You said he really helped you during your coming out process, so it would seem if this guy was a slut he would have taken advantage of the situation then.

8. SOB!!!!

Why is it that when I wanna talk to someone they disappear?!?!?

Before I decided to talk to him he was on all the time. & now he isn't answering texts and hasnt been online for 3 damn days!

It's hopeless.
    I'm hopeless.
    I'm so afraid I'll end up alone, with no one. That's my biggest fear...

9. Walolas

Your not hopeless! Its just since the last time you talked to him maybe his work schedual and free time activities have changed in such a way he doesnt get a lotta time to go online. You sent him the message just be patient.

#9 Walolas, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  10. I'm just anxious and I'm tired of having this all inside. Maybe he'll be on later tonight - I hope so

11. Walolas

I hope he is too so you can start to maybe calm down =) Here is hoping everything goes well =)

12. Okay - he isn't getting online

How can I just push this out of my head until the next time that I see him online???

13. Walolas

I don't have any advise but try to keep busy with other things. You sent him the message so you can't really make him see it any faster. I would suggest playing a mindless video game, watching a good movie, going out and exercising, hanging out with friends, or just going to sleep to help ignore it for now until he sees it.

14. george678

He'll come on in the end. If not to see you to see his other friends...

Your NOT hopeless, you WILL get somebody in the end. :slight_smile:

15. Thanks everyone. I'm slowly letting it go, because I know he will be on eventually. And I'll let you know what happens then

16. Andytx1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That or he blocked you already :wink:

17. Gee thanks for the encouragement.

We've been friends for years so I really doubt that.

But seriously, that comment was just AWESOME of you
    :***::bang:

18. factwithinfiction

Hahaha don't worry he'll respond. If he's been your best friend for years, he won't leave you like that.

However in the rare case that he doesn't respond after a longer period of time and you know he's online (and possibly avoiding you) and whatnot never ever be afraid to say hi and casually walk into the conversation. It's better to know where your relationship with him is rather than having him keep you guessing cause then he's just playing games with your heart and nobody deserves that.

Good luck :slight_smile:

19. george678

20. :grin:
    He's online!
    & we are chatting
    I haven't gotten to the whole relationship thing, just catching up