1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i share

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KnightAssassin, Jul 30, 2010.

1. KnightAssassin

ok so i have had a few posts here when i was feeling pretty bad but now i am seeing a therapist and now i am debating whether or not to share my poetry. I want to but i am afraid of rejection .With that some of my older poetry is talking about abuse and suicide , actually only about abuse and suicide and i don't want to stop seeing him and aswell some lines do show i am gay and he doesn't know that yet but i am going to tell him and maybe i could let him know through the poems .......... i just don't know . i am torn because i am afriad he wont want to see , but i need to be honest and tell him everything to get help. I just am torn becuase no matter how much i want to share i can only do so much and i am afriad of what the out come will be . my therapist did say i worried to much about the future and past and i am working on it but for now can you all help me decide whether i should share my poems ?? or should i burn the rest of whats left like i did the millions of others ... please help me

2. Walolas

I say tell him. Like you said in order to get his help you need to be 100% honest with everything that is bothering you. You are paying him to hear your issues and to give you advise on it so get your money's worth!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it is really great that you are seeing a therapist! Way to go! :slight_smile:

I think sharing your poetry with your therapist would be beneficial because your poetry provides a window into your feelings and thoughts. I don't think you would be rejected as a result of that. The more you can share and open up the more your therapist will be able to help you and provide you with suggestions/advice on how , and what you could do, to start turning the page and get to a better place.

Of course, always be mindful about how much you are comfortable sharing at any given point in time. But the more you do that and the more you try and have the meetings with the therapist, the more comfortable you might become in sharing your past with the therapist. Sharing things, including your poems, could allow you to come to terms with the things that happened in your past and maybe you won't worry about your past too much anymore, afterward.

Wanting to be honest and wanting to get help are two really good things that will allow you to open up bit by bit.

One thing that I have learned and taken away over the last two weeks in seeing a counselor myself is to take it day by day and not to worry about what happened or what might happen in the future. No one can predict or control what is going to happen. Maybe try to make everyday count. Besides the things that you need to do on a regular basis, make sure that you have or do something during the day that really allows you to have 'me' time and where you really enjoy yourself.

Hope this helps a bit!