1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now I feel like I can NEVER come out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoinStag, Jul 31, 2010.

1. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Last night I was having a conversation with my Mom. She brought up gay marriage out of nowhere. I'll give basically what I remember from the conversation.

Mom: I don't feel like we need that.
    Me: Look, if it doesn't effect me, I don't give a shit.
    Mom: It effects society. Would you be okay with a Man getting married to a 6 year old girl?
    Me: That's nothing like it though. She can't consent.
    Mom: But we have to draw the line, and why do they want to adopt?
    Me: As a single Mom, you should know, 2 Moms would be better than one. Look at Kody's (my friend) Mom and her girlfriend.
    Mom: But she was married to a man before. The point of marriage is to pro-create. Why should gays be allowed to marry if they can't pro-create?
    Me: Would You deny a woman with Ovarian Cancer the right to marry?
    Mom: That disorder can't be denied. Gays/lesbians can push away their feelings.
    Me: So being gay is a disorder?
    Mom: Yes
    Me: ow would Your daughters feel if they heard that. You have a responsibility to stick up for them.

My sisters clame to be bi. Not saying they aren't, but they say they are. I just felt so hurt by this, and today at my sister's graduation (college) party my cousin was like "so Gabe, do you have a girlfriend?" and I was like "No", and she asked "why not?". I just said "'Cause I can't even handle myself right now".

This sucks :frowning2:

I was actually sooooo close to coming out. I felt so ready for weeks now. How long do you guys think I should wait to come out? Should I go with my original plan and come out when I'm like early 20's (after I move out), or should I come out sooner? This fucked me up. My Mom kept comparing gays to polygamists and pedophiles. It hurt so bad. I felt like crying so I just went to my room and shut myself away from everyone for the rest of the night.

2. Lebowski45

Aw that sucks big time. I don't even know what to say. Nothing as bad as that has happened to me, but similar, smaller scale things have occurred. There's been times I've felt almost comfortable with my sexuality, and nearly ready for telling someone and then someone I know (usually a close friend) will say something like "that's gay" or something. It can crush you inside, and force you deep into the closet again. My dad made a bad comment a few months ago too which hurt.....they don't even realise how much it affects you.

I would advise against telling your mum this now. Its obvious she's not going to take it well. You could possibly subtly bring the subject up now and again and try to debate with her without seeming too emotional/passionate on the subject, and maybe try to make her see sense. Most homophobia just stems from ignorance. But you could be in a worse situation if you came out to her, and she rejected you as a result. What about someone else, your sisters must be open minded, is it possible to speak with them about it? Or a close friend?

Don't rush to come out if you doubt people will accept you, because you are - I assume - dependent on your mum this now, you don't want to risk that. It really sucks, I know, but I'd advise on not doing anything you might later regret. Be sure before you do anything. Hope things work out in the end

3. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I don't feel comfortable about talking to my sisters about it. One sister only had a girlfriend for just under a year in high school and that was it and hasn't mentioned any attraction to girls since. The other sister is a feminist and is all about women's rights and freedom and liberation, but she has never brought a girl home once.

It just absolutely killed me hearing my Mom compare gays to pedophiles and polygamists and saying that it's a disorder or a defect. Thank you for your kind words though.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pure bigoted propaganda is what your mother clearly has been reading or seeing. I don't even have to know her to know where she's getting that shit.

5. VentinIntrovert

The whole pro-creation is the same debate that I have argued against. Whether to have children is a personal choice, the meaning of live is not only to reproduce. If that was the case then you can just donate semen and be freed from homophobia. But as you said, if we prosecute homosexuals because they can't reproduce then we might as well prosecute people with ovarian cancer, the disabled, priests, monks, nuns and the rest.

If your mother really loved you and know that what she said is hurtful towards you, then she should shut her mouth.

6. titaniumCloset

I'm sorry to hear about the entire situation, however I can understand what you mean about the above quote. When they just say such harsh and cruel things that hurt so badly and they don't even know it. They'll call a gay person a "faggot" or some other word and to them it's no big deal, they just laugh at them or make jokes about them, not knowing how horrible it is to hear that from someone we love and thought loved us. I don't know what I can say to make the situation any better, but you're not alone, all of us are here for you and understand exactly what you're going through. Here's an e-hug (&&&) (*hug*)

7. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

She told me if I were gay she wouldn't come to my wedding. I want to move to Canda and get married so badly. That just fucked me up bad.

Thank you everybody for the support I really need it.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gabe,

Your mom is operating out of ignorance and fear. Moms tend to have an incredible sixth sense about things, and it may be that she already suspects that you're gay. I'm thinking it's quite possible she intentionally brought up the gay marriage thing to sort of smoke you out, and you didn't exactly provide a spirited denial (other than the "it won't affect me").

So if I'm correct, what you are seeing are the early stages of loss (i.e., anger and denial, couched in the "theoretical" language of gay marriage). There's even a little of the "bargaining" stage going on there... the part about " Gays/lesbians can push away their feelings"... she's essentially saying, to you, "Well, maybe you're gay, but you can just suppress/deny it." I think this is actually a pretty likely scenario.

I think she will eventually come around and I think that the polygamy and pedophilia and so forth is just a smoke screen for her own anger and denial. I suspect she doesn't *really* believe that.

But for now, probably best to give the issue a bit of a rest and let a little time pass. I don't think you need to wait till you're in your 20s, but if you wait a little while, she may come around and you will probably see signs that she's processing things and coming to a different perspective.

I know it's really hard to hear such hurtful and ignorant things, but I don't think it's a true representation of how she really feels toward you. People can't always control their feelings, particularly when the emotions run strong, as they would when she's confronting something that affects her son. Give it a little time, I think you'll find the situation changes soon enough. :slight_smile:

9. george678

Exactly, what I got told last night. :frowning2:
    :tears:
    I see it as if they don't accept it fine. You know your right.

I would come out in your early 20's.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This statement further reinforces the idea that she already knows, and is in the process of working through the stages of loss. (Those stages are denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance)

"If you're gay, I won't come to your wedding" is classic bargaining. She's sorta halfway accepting that you might be gay, but allowing herself some way of not accepting it. I would actually take it as a sort of a good sign, because it means she is processing it, even though you haven't told her or admitted it.

I'd also lay 50 bucks that she doesn't mean it, and if you were to announce you were getting married next year... she'd be there. And she'd help plan the wedding :slight_smile:

11. Jeremy

I really, really hate those situations. I think you should take as much time as you want before you tell anyone. Different people are affected differently by the amount of time spent keeping it a secret; some people feel more secure the longer they wait while others feel may feel more confined, and ultimately, you'll never really know until you do come out.

And I agree with everyone here. Some people unknowingly make comments that can totally destroy a person's life. (Literally and figuratively speaking). :icon_sad:

12. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Well for a while I've suspected that she knew. I don't fit the stereotypes at all though. My only defenses were my friend's Mom and her girlfriend, and my sisters who claim to be bi (I don't believe them 100% though). I couldn't really show how passionate I was about it though, 'cause let's face it, I'm still in the closet. But when she said that thing about "If I were gay and got married..." my face felt all hot and I started getting all shaky so I just kinda ended the conversation and left.

Thank you for the support. You gave me advice that was true and also comforting words, which is appreciated (*hug*)

It just really knocked me on my ass for a while.

13. fringelunatic

Well, most people don't fit the stereotypes; otherwise they wouldn't be stereotypes. I can sympathise with how unpleasant it is to be in this sort of situation, and having parents' who have seemingly contradictory opinions.
    My half sister, who is estranged from the family revealed in a newspaper interview that she was gay (she was running for parliament in England, and was asked about marriage, but I guess that's another story). My dad seemed fine with it that she was gay, but when I happened to bring something up with him, and got to talking about people being gay he did the whole sort of "never be happy in life" thing. It's upsetting, but I have wondered whether that was a probing sort of thing; I had been leaving subtle hints about the place in some sort of effort to prepare them.
    I hope you work through it; but try and remember how your mum feels in the situation she may feel she's in - in a sense she's in an albeit different closet through not knowing whether her suspicions are true, and feeling guilty for having them. I'd give it time, try and bring gay issues up subtly - don't push the issue (don't do what I did the other day and go to a Pride parade with a friend she knows to be gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), and try and sound her out for her real feelings about it - I suspect you'd have realised if she was really as strong-feeling about it all as your conversation suggested.

14. Enaithor

This is where the radical libertarian view is useful
    It would gross me out, but in an ideal world where everyone was nice and shiny, and I was a (nice) dictator (I could go into detail on that, but that's a whole other thing about my political beliefs) then I would say that if both the man and the girl consented and she genuinely understood all the stuff about it and wanted it, then yeah, I would let them get married, and throw up at the same time.
    Unfortunately, the Earth isn't shiny, and there are two reasons for me, if I was a (still nice!) dictator not allowing that.
    a) You wouldn't get a 6 year old fully understanding and wanting, and the man not being a total perv...and they wouldn't be in love
    b) Even if you did, you couldn't legally differenciate between the pervy man and innocent girl and the couple that wanted it.
    I would make the age of consent 14. But yeah. I just went off on several tangents, and I doubt you would want to even consider mentioning that sort of viewpoint to your mum.

^^^^^tl;dr
    But, when it's applicable, the radical libertarian beliefs will often provide you with a nice get out clause, e.g. the right to free will etc

If you tell her that you're gay, she might reconsider.
    She might not. But then, if she doesn't, in all honesty, you want her out of your life as soon as possible.
    You about to start sixth form college? Like, is it a new school you're starting in September?
    Good time to come out to people

15. fringelunatic

That's harsh; I see where you're coming from, but being gay really isn't something you want to loose your mother over. Otherwise, I agree about the 6th form college thing - I wish I'd come out at the beginning of 6th form, even though it was part of the same school I'd been to before (felt very different though) instead I left it to three weeks before I left, and had chicken pox for 1 and a half of those :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That said, do it when it feels right, there's no point listening to my regrets.

16. Enaithor

I'm probably harsh because I have an extremely shit relationship with my mum lol

17. fringelunatic

Sorry to hear that.

18. Enaithor

'Tis ok, I'm used to it :grin:

19. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

you made a good point. If she doesn't accept me, I shouldn't keep trying to get her to accept me. I'll just end up being disappointed for a long, long time.

20. Enaithor

Bear in mind that that came from someone with shitty family, as fringe pointed out
    So yeah don't just cut her out if she doesn't accept you right away lol